Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

jrmarts
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

It's been some time since I posted on the in here. I've always appreciated the feedback that I've received from the forum, I think that it's personally help me grow and expand as a photographer. So, any comments or critiques would be appreciated. TIA

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:11 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

You might look to place subjects elsewhere than center. #4 and #5 are better than 1-3 in this regard. Maybe think about having subjects looking from the side into the space of the photo. Also, FWIW, I'm not really fond of brick and similar walls as backdrops. Consider using empty space, or something natural, perhaps something that would help to frame subjects. Focus and exposure are good. Expressions in 4 and 5 are nice. Light in the eyes is nice in several but missing in others (e.g., from #1). You can sometimes use a subdued flash (dialed way down, diffused) to get some light in the eyes. Some of the images might have worked better in portrait orientation (2, 3, ...). The thing that I find most distracting in most of these is the background.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:16 AM
fgransee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

When I looked at the photos I thought the background was a disadvantage in most shots - not in #5. Then I read that Kevin already pointed that out. The first portrait does not work for me at all. #3 has a fun feeling to it and I like the color combo of clothing and lower 2/3 of the background. The red upper 1/3 cuts through the head and distracts (for me). Frank

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:31 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

It's been a while since I've given specific feedback, but I have a few minutes, so here it is.

I think you've done a nice job getting nice natural expressions, with exception to #3, which is a little forced. I'm going to disagree slightly about brick being bad for backgrounds, I think it's fine. I also think your exposure is excellent and the tones are nice. However, there are a few things that I personally feel could have been adjusted to improve a bit.

1 - The BG is too close to his skin color, and with that bright blue shirt, his face almost gets a bit lost.

2 - Maybe just a bit of a crop so he's not so centered.

3 - The sharp transition of the different bricks right through is head is a bit of a bummer. I don't know if there was a better place without the transition like that. Changing the level could work, but then you might have a weird perspective for this type of shot.

4 - Again the line between the rocks and the door right behind her isn't great. I don't know if that red door was big enough, but that for the entire background w/o rocks would have been very cool.

5 - Really nice, just a nitpick, maybe cut a bit off the top for a little less head room.

6 - Since the BG is nice and symmetrical, I think having them more centered would have been better, to help with the symmetry. I might also suggest putting his arm in front of hers with their hands on her knees, so he's a bit more in front, instead of her being more in front of him.

7 - Nice, no suggestions from me.

Thanks for sharing
--David

4 -

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:27 AM

jrmarts
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

Thank you all for taking the time to offer me some comments. Definitely going to keep your comments in mind the next time I am choosing a location and editing the images. I tend to shoot one vertical, and one horizontal; so I will take a look back in those folders.

The comments really help. The parents/subjects are always happy with their images, but that's usually because they are used to sitting in a JC Penney type studio. You comments will definitely help me continue to grow.

Thanks again.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

#1. I suggest a crop. You have a long expanse of shirt & tie, and it ends just before the wrists and before the point of the tie. Crop to Head & Shoulders.
Also, I'd blur the wall a bit more. You used f6.3, so either open it up a bit or have him stand farther from the wall.

#2. Nice crop on this one. It ends just under the zipper end - perfect. I'd crop a little on this one, but that's a minor thing. It looks good as is.

3. & #4. Both of these have "two-toned" backgrounds. In #4, put her against one or the other. #3 - I like how much you have blurred the background. What is a tad odd is him facing out of the frame but looking back into it.

#5. A fine shot. Agree with neighbourboy on the crop.

#7. Sometimes OOF elements on the edge of the frame can distract. It's happening here to a small degree. Cropping some off our left side would help. The blurred hand is no big deal, but better if it was clear. Your SS was a bit low for the focal length. (1/160th at 200mm, to save others from looking it up).

#4 & #5 are the best here, IMO.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:06 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

Really nice attempt, I really like the light and the expressions of the kids.

Edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 07:10 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fall 2012 Portraits C/C Welcomed

good lighting, some of them could be cropped but overall a nice set

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password