Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
  

Archive 2013 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples
  
 
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Went out with the D800/AF-S 300 f4 and my BushHawk for a little BIF workout.
Totally impressed with the IQ/AF speed and accuracy. Please feel free to post 1.5 mode
action captures if you wish. I usually use 1.2 for wildlife (best of both worlds) but wanted
to give DX a chance. Obviously handheld, SOOC...just cropped tight for effect. Thx.



riversbendphotography

  NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/1600s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  





riversbendphotography

  NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/1250s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  





riversbendphotography

  NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/2000s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  




Jan 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Bruce Sawle
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Here is some action and Wildlife

1.5 crop with 300 f2.8 at F4 with TC 1.4
.1
13 by Bruce Sawle, on Flickr

.2
07 by Bruce Sawle, on Flickr


1.2 crop with 300 f2.8 at F5.6 with TC 1.4

.3



Jan 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
mfrank999
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Do you miss more FPS for BIF


Jan 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Very nice, Bruce...thanks!


mfrank999 wrote:
Do you miss more FPS for BIF


Usually 5 is plenty for larger targets. I have 9 & 8fps available but usually shoot the D3/D700
in C L, C H is reserved if I need an exact wing position/specific rodeo moment.
This particular day I never shot more than a mini burst of 3.
Knowing your subject lets you do more, with less.



Jan 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


I shall be joining this thread this weekend


Jan 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


BenV wrote:
I shall be joining this thread this weekend


Lookin' forward to it, Ben There's always room in my PM box if you run into trouble



Jan 16, 2013 at 11:38 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


trenchmonkey wrote:
Lookin' forward to it, Ben There's always room in my PM box if you run into trouble


I've got tons of trouble, no more space on my credit card,



Jan 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM
mfrank999
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


By the way wonderful capture.
My problem is the D800 would be my only camera.
Concerned with 4fps.



Jan 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


mfrank999 wrote:
By the way wonderful capture.
My problem is the D800 would be my only camera.
Concerned with 4fps.


Thanks!
FX is 4, 1.2/1.5 is 5...da grip makes DX 6
I shoot rodeo/BIF/concerts...hasn't held me back. If you need the IQ....



Jan 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
mfrank999
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Is that with a nikon grip?
If so will other grips give same results?



Jan 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



matthewo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


i usually use full fx, cause i have the hd space and processing power for larger size files. i usually do crop down to dx size or even more though in post. i just use the full fx mode so i can perfect my crop and make sure if a BIF isnt out of the center of the frame and i miss it... but 1.2 crop is nice as it gives you the extra 1 fps, and only looses a little of the view finder...


Jan 17, 2013 at 01:02 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


mfrank999 wrote:
Is that with a nikon grip?
If so will other grips give same results?


No grip here, the only gain realized (with grip) is in DX mode (1.53X) from 5 to 6 fps (using AA's/EN-EL18)


Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 01:55 AM · View previous versions



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:09 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


matthewo wrote:
i usually use full fx, cause i have the hd space and processing power for larger size files. i usually do crop down to dx size or even more though in post. i just use the full fx mode so i can perfect my crop and make sure if a BIF isnt out of the center of the frame and i miss it... but 1.2 crop is nice as it gives you the extra 1 fps, and only looses a little of the view finder...


Yup, onna 1.2 We'll have to start a thread on THAT one of these days.



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:11 AM
egd5
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


That's kinda been my question/ponderment-Is the only advantage of using 1.2 or 1.5 the one FPS? So far I also just shoot full size and then crop where I want. Is there any difference?
ETA I type too slow.



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:12 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


egd5 wrote:
That's kinda been my question/ponderment-Is the only advantage of using 1.2 or 1.5 the one FPS? So far I also just shoot full size and then crop where I want. Is there any difference?
ETA I type too slow.


I can tell ya this...the D800 DX mode files are better than my D7K files SOOC.



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:18 AM
egd5
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


I love my D800. Once you look at a file from it at 100% you're hooked. The detail is so amazing.


Jan 17, 2013 at 01:21 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


egd5 wrote:
I love my D800. Once you look at a file from it at 100% you're hooked. The detail is so amazing.


I just printed some 11 X 14 200% crops...incredible!



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:23 AM
mfrank999
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Does the en-el18 battery fit into the existing camera or do you need an additional holder??
Sorry for all these questions but i am seriously now considering the D800,
Thanks



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:26 AM
trenchmonkey
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


mfrank999 wrote:
Does the en-el18 battery fit into the existing camera or do you need an additional holder??
Sorry for all these questions but i am seriously now considering the D800,
Thanks


That's an expensive proposition (it's a D4 battery & you'll need a charger) AA's in the grip
is definitely the way to go if you need the 6fps in DX mode.



Jan 17, 2013 at 01:52 AM
mfrank999
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · No whine D800 thread: DX mode samples


Thanks for your help.


Jan 17, 2013 at 01:54 AM
1
       2       3       4       5       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password