FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Galapagos Flycatcher

ebrown88
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Hi Everybody,

First, I'd like confirmation that this indeed is a Galapagos flycatcher. I took this picture a few years ago in the Galapagos, and I originally thought it was a Galapagos finch. However, after looking at pictures of Galapagos birds online, I think it's a flycatcher. In some places I saw references to "Galapagos flycatcher finch." Is that the correct name of this bird?

Second question is, do you find the slight halo around the bird (mostly along the top half of the bird) objectionable? The original Raw file has the halo, so it's not due to over-sharpening. It might be possible to tone it down some, but a) it wouldn't be easy, and b) would it be worth it?

And finally, the question I ask somewhat hesitantly: have I over-sharpened it??

C & C's welcomed.

Dennis B.

© Dennis Brown 2013

Galapagos Flycatcher

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Beautiful shot Dennis, sorry no ID help here. I don't think there is a halo as much as a natural lightness to the feathers at the edge if you know what I mean. I sure won't change it if it were mine. The crop seems a little tight to me.

Rob

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Rob is right Dennis,

it's a beautiful shot & I don't see any halo either. And I agree, the bird could use a tad more room to play

Lil

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:31 PM
ebrown88
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Thanks Rob and Lil.

That's a good point you both make, and I think I agree. I cropped the little guy too much! Sometimes you work on an image too long and overlook the "big picture".

Dennis

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:55 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Agree with Rob and Lil on all points including a little space to the left... beautiful image Dennis.

I know what you mean about working on an image for too long and losing objectivity. To help myself with that, I've disciplined myself to never post an image that I've "finished" until at least the next day so I can look at it with a more objective eye.

Kirk

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:10 PM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Galapagos Flycatcher

It is a good shot for sure. Not sure how you do your sharpening, but It does not look over done on the screen I am looking at it on but I will check it out tonight on my good monitor.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:25 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Galapagos Flycatcher

It looks great to me Dennis, well captured and presented
David

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:27 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Galapagos Flycatcher

love your flycatcher Dennis.. altho it could be cropped a little tight

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Jason Lang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Great shot -- no ID help from me

I do not see the halo

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:48 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Galapagos Flycatcher

That is a lovely image! Well done.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Dennis, this is a very nice capture. Except for the bright spot on its left side, the exposure looks fine. The focus and the DOF are excellent.
Now let's see if I can answer to your questions. The only halos I see is around the beak, and yes, there are a couple of ways in PS to get completely rid of those halos.
As far as sharpening is concerned, it is a matter of personal taste. To my eyes it looks a tad oversharpened, but that is just me
Socrate

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Well I am the one that normally doesn't see halos Dennis and even though you are suggesting they are there I really don't see them or see them as bothersome.

Sharpening is a fine line of taste and visual acceptance, sometimes I think we can create way more detail than we normally see and it becomes unnatural. My feeling on this one are that it looks just a bit 'brittle'.

It does seem it the lighting offered a bit of rim lighting which may give the sense of halos? I once was told that the use of Highlight/Shadow sliders were the ones to get me into the most trouble with haloing so I have avoided them most often. I'm still learning and a sponge waiting to learn more

The white edging on feathers and the spot mentioned on the side seem a bit extreme to me, a tad harsh. Sometimes the feather details become a bit odd when there is no internal shadowing which can come from PP or from using a fill flash where it takes away the natural modeling of the feathers?

Karl

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:41 PM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Hey Dennis,

What an exciting and nice capture of a such a bird and congrats. Karl did a splendid job with his critique!

Best,
Tom

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:13 AM
ebrown88
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Hi Everybody,

Before I address your comments (after which you can comment on my comments on your comments if you wish), I'd like to say the following:

I first started posting on this forum less than a week ago, and I am overwhelmed by the generous spirit of sharing and mentoring I see here. Your experience, expertise, and very sharp (no pun intended) photographic vision is (are?) awe inspiring.

So: thanks everyone!

Rob, Lil, Kirk, NoAngle, David, KMunroe, Jason, KCollett, Socrates, Karl, Tom -- thanks for your kind words. (If I left anyone out, I apologize)

Karl - "brittle" is a brilliant way to put it. The image does appear a touch oversharpened here, but I think that may in part be due to the resizing that I did to post it here. Also, when printed the brittleness is not apparent, and I'm very happy with the way it looks on paper.

Also, a couple of you noticed the hot spot on the bird's belly, and you are right about that. I have toned it down a touch and it is an improvement.

Sincerely,

Dennis B.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Dennis, first of all welcome to FM, you have a wonderful image to start with. No halo for me here. My only nit would also be the lack of space on the left. Bruce

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
StormShooter

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Galapagos Flycatcher

VERY nice capture Dennis! as mentioned above, I dont really see a halo rather than natural lighting of sorts around the head and beak. The crop is a little tight but still a great shot! As far as sharpening goes, Its perfect to my "liking".

Thanks for sharing!
Dave

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:25 PM
ebrown88
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Thanks Bruce and Dave.

Dave, I see you're a newbie here too. Welcome to the forum. I became active here less than a week ago. If your experience is anything like mine, I think you'll love it here. Tremendously experienced and talented photographers, and they are eager to share their knowledge and expertise.

Dennis B.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:48 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Galapagos Flycatcher

Beautiful shot Dennis !!! Lovely detail.

Birdie

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:02 PM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Galapagos Flycatcher

ebrown88 wrote:
Thanks Bruce and Dave.

Dave, I see you're a newbie here too. Welcome to the forum. I became active here less than a week ago. If your experience is anything like mine, I think you'll love it here. Tremendously experienced and talented photographers, and they are eager to share their knowledge and expertise.

Dennis B.

Now that Socrates pointed it out I do see a very thin ahlo under the beak. I see it in mine sometimes and even in the raw file with no sharpen to it so I think it can happen no matter what but yes you can usually get rid of it with the clone tool and set it to either darken or lighten denpending on the adjacent color to the halo. I think setting it to darken will work so you do not clone over the beak if it ends up clonning over the beak on either darken or lighten then use the quick select tool to get the beak as perfectly selected as you can or use the pen tool to do it and just send it to a new layer and lock the transparent pixels on that layer then just clone normally until it is all gone. That should work.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:24 PM
StormShooter

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Galapagos Flycatcher

ebrown88 wrote:
Thanks Bruce and Dave.

Dave, I see you're a newbie here too. Welcome to the forum. I became activ/e here less than a week ago. If your experience is anything like mine, I think you'll love it here. Tremendously experienced and talented photographers, and they are eager to share their knowledge and expertise.

Dennis B.

Thanks Dennis! Hey, I see you are shooting with a 7D ?? How do you like it? I'm considering upgrading my 10D (yea I know, old!! ) but ive been strongly looking at the 7D and would like you thoughts.

You can PM me the answer so I dont hijack this thread and go off topic.

Again, thanks for the welcome.
Dave

Jan 17, 2013 at 08:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.