Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

cineski wrote:
Definitely 6D. Whenever I get 7D files from 2nd photographers the images make me feel uncomfortable. Just something off about them.

You are not alone in sensing that.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:16 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

1DMKIIN or 1DMKIII

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:18 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.2 #3 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Ok now I have to get out my 1D3 to check the statement that the 6D has a brighter viewfinder. I'm not sure that it does.

The 1D3 offers 100% viewfinder coverage, a much better AF system, and the image quality is pretty darn good, even if it has only 10 megapixels. I've printed 1D3 photos at large sizes and been plenty pleased with the results.

It shoots at 10 fps, has 19 cross-type AF sensors with 26 assist points, offers great battery life, and AF-point Linked Spot metering.

There is a lot to like about the 1D3.

All the merits you note on the 1D3 are true and the reason I won't be getting rid of my 1D3. I still prefer it for wildlife shooting but just about everything else, I now go to my 6D. Which in my opinion, has the brighter viewfinder and better image quality.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #4 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Seems like the 7D, though not perfect, is the way to go.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

coppertop wrote:
Which in my opinion, has the brighter viewfinder and better image quality.

Which so it it should. 20MP vs 10MP FF vs 1.3x crop, 5 years newer technology. No surprise there. But for AF for fast action work, how do they compare? Better to get sharp keepers with 10MP than OOF shots with 20MP.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:15 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #6 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

dehowie wrote:
Id be going second hand 1 series myself none of the smaller bodies can do it all..the 1 series can.

+1

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:15 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.2 #7 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Gunzorro wrote:
5D Mark II, used, with plenty of money left over. Or 6D if you want new with more current features.

+100000000

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #8 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

RobDickinson wrote:
This forum couldnt decide on 4 cameras to do it all let alone one...

Nah; two could do it all: EOS-1D X and Nikon D800E

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #9 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Paul Mo wrote:
You are not alone in sensing that.

+2.

Having owned a 7D (and coming from a 5D) image quality was its weakest point IMO, but handling and speed is very good. You can get good to great IQ from it, sure, but it just seems to demand very good light before the detail starts to pop out.

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:03 AM
wnichols
• •
p.2 #10 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

I'm in a simliar situation as you, I've had the 1DIII for the past six months and loved it. Decided to try a 7D and so far I'm not in love with it like I was the 1D. There's nothing "wrong" with it, just more of a personal taste for how the files look and handling of it. But I'm trying to get a single camera to "do it all", sports/landscapes/portraits/travel and have about decided to save a little longer and get a used 5D3 for around $2600. The biggest thing I'll lose is the reach from both the 1D & the 7D crops but what I gain will more than make up for that. If having two bodies isn't an issue for you I'd got for the 7D/5DII (or even 5D) combo like some others have suggested. Or you could wait for the rumored 7DII but I never bother with things that don't exist.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:34 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.2 #11 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Which so it it should. 20MP vs 10MP FF vs 1.3x crop, 5 years newer technology. No surprise there. But for AF for fast action work, how do they compare? Better to get sharp keepers with 10MP than OOF shots with 20MP.

True... you can chase wildlife or other action shots with the 6D, you just have to anticipate more. The 1D3 does give you an advantage with the AF speed and fps.

As speedy as cameras are today, even the 6D, it makes you wonder how we did it years ago with manual film cameras.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #12 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

I don't remember but does the 6d allow for the same button reassignment as the 7d/5d3?

Also does the 6d have spot AF... on all AF points?

I can't find any info on the above on the web.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.2 #13 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

As speedy as cameras are today, even the 6D, it makes you wonder how we did it years ago with manual film cameras.

Our expectations were lower, I think. And we were generally looking at 3x5 or 4x6 prints, not 100% crops on HD monitors. Makes a difference.

Poll results show a three way tie. Seems like I can't go wrong

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #14 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Ghost wrote:
I don't remember but does the 6d allow for the same button reassignment as the 7d/5d3?

Yes. Page 320 of the User Manual discusses button reassignment. I don't know if "the same button reassignment as the 7D/5D3" - I don't have either of those cameras.

Also does the 6d have spot AF... on all AF points?

No.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #15 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

IMO the craft has transformed. And that's one of the reasons I vociferously opposed the concept of frame grabs from HD video as being legitimate photographs.

The awareness one had to have shooting action manually, cranking the film advance to the point of almost ripping the film - good stuff.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password