Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Looking for guidance here. I need one "do it all" body for under $2k. At this point, about 65% of my pictures are landscape/portrait and 35% events/BIF/sports/airshows and the like. I have a 40D, but would benefit from the better resolution, high ISO and AF performance of the newer bodies. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

I'd vote for the 7D

But I guess everything is a compromise.

I came from a 40D to my 7D just about a year ago. I know it gets alot of abuse on here but for a crop is a great camera . It's my only body so it HAS to be my 1 for all.
Yes other bodies would do better jobs but they are either to big for day to day stuff (1 series) or do not have the fps and reach I sometimes want and need (ff 5D2/6D)

I will say though that I find my 7D has 1 downside. While its AF is much improved over the 40D (which was nothing to write home about) and it does a sterling job on large moving objects , its one downside for me is its not the best at BIF . Maybe its my inept abilities at BIF but I found my old mk2n just soo much better when it came to flying birds.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:43 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Id be going second hand 1 series myself none of the smaller bodies can do it all..the 1 series can.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:43 PM
sfcyclist

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

$2k for body alone? If open to used, you have many options. Happy with my 7D so far though. With the 2 options you listed, the debate will lean more towards FF or Crop.

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

I think Rebel T4 can do many things for cheap price. Best option if you think this way ...

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

5D Mark II, used, with plenty of money left over. Or 6D if you want new with more current features.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Both will do nicely but I'd have to give the nod to the full-frame body if you're talking versatility. The clarity of a full-frame is hard to ignore. I'm finding that I dread using my 1D MarkIII now after using the 6D.

Not saying the Mark III sucks wind but there's something about a full-frame body from the brighter viewfinder to the image quality that really pulls you in.

Then again... might want to look at the T4i (or used 50D) and use the difference for glass.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

5DII & 1DIIN

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

1d3 or 1d2n or 5d2 or D600 or D700

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

artsupreme wrote:
5DII & 1DIIN

For 2k, you can easily swing this. I think it'll get what you want. Actually with the falling prices of the 7D, you may be able to get a 5DII and 7D.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Ok now I have to get out my 1D3 to check the statement that the 6D has a brighter viewfinder. I'm not sure that it does.

The 1D3 offers 100% viewfinder coverage, a much better AF system, and the image quality is pretty darn good, even if it has only 10 megapixels. I've printed 1D3 photos at large sizes and been plenty pleased with the results.

It shoots at 10 fps, has 19 cross-type AF sensors with 26 assist points, offers great battery life, and AF-point Linked Spot metering.

There is a lot to like about the 1D3.

But it's not full frame, and try getting a useable 12,800 ISO image.

Like I said, I have both cameras - but the 6D goes with me almost everywhere, and it's not just because of image quality.

I'm disappointed overall in the AF system, it's 2013 and it feels like 2006 all over again.

But I can live with it. I've used the center AF and recomposed for so long it's second hand. But I guess Canon needed to give some people a reason to also have a 5D3 in their bag.

If you've never had a 5D2 - check it out. You'll be amazed.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

artsupreme wrote:
5DII & 1DIIN

If you need to do it all this is probably the best option. A single 6D or 7D will have compromises given what you want to do. These two bodies will allow you to upgrade both your landscape/portrait work and your sports work. The one problem is that I don't know if the 1DIIN is still serviced by Canon. That may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

This forum couldnt decide on 4 cameras to do it all let alone one...

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

First, thank you all for the opinions and information. It is very helpful.

The 5D2 and 1D3 are both great options and well within budget. However, the 6D AF truly seems to be better than the 5D2 based on everything I've seen, and the 1D3 is a bit big for me given my normal use. I suppose I could pair a 1D3 with a good P&S, but then I've into multiple camera bodies, which I'm trying hard to avoid.

So let me ask another question: there is about a $1,000 difference between a good used 7D and a new 6D. Given a 65% landscape/portrait, 35% BIF/events/airshow/sports split, would you spend the extra money for the newer body?

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Sayeret18 wrote:
So let me ask another question: there is about a $1,000 difference between a good used 7D and a new 6D. Given a 65% landscape/portrait, 35% BIF/events/airshow/sports split, would you spend the extra money for the newer body?

If the field reports on the AI servo performance of the 6D are good, then yes it's a good option, but there is added cost of longer glass. This is the beauty of the 7D if your are trying to do BIF/action on a budget, you'll get much more bang from a 400mm lens than with a low density FF. 6D shots will often be cropped heavily unless you have the long glass, and a lot of it's IQ advantage evaporates in this case.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

With the above choice, the 7d is more versatile simply because it can do everything a 6d could and more. Pop up flash allows for CLS work too.
You will not have to settle for single AF useable AF points for moving subjects. The 6d is a glorified 5d2 in a 60d body... that has some downgraded spec.

But if options are limitless, I'd go use route like that 5d2+7d combo. Same batteries and similar top button layouts = win.

Or 1ds2/3 are really good choices too. I've seen 1ds3 in the low $2k.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

RobDickinson wrote:
This forum couldnt decide on 4 cameras to do it all let alone one...

7D and be done with it - get out and shoot.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Definitely 6D. Whenever I get 7D files from 2nd photographers the images make me feel uncomfortable. Just something off about them.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Roadtrip

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

Sayeret18 wrote:

Nope...

The 7D lets you keep your CF cards and enjoy the "extra reach" your current lenses offer.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · One Camera Under $2k to Do it All

How important is FPS to your action photography? 6D will be a downgrade to 4.5 FPS from your 40D at 6.5. 7D is an upgrade to 8 FPS. Not saying you can't get terrific action shots at 4.5 but it's nice to have some extra frames on moving subjects.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:15 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password