Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hong Kong stores?

ebrandon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hong Kong stores?

Hi all:

I'm on my way to Hong Kong and as always on the hunt for alt lenses. This forum has had great advice on where to go on previous trip to Tokyo etc...

Any great used camera/lens stores in Hong Kong like there are in Tokyo?

Any great new camera shops in Hong Kong?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:10 PM
joakim
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hong Kong stores?

This article is a little old but I found it a good read and decently up to date when I was in Hong Kong in 2011.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:15 PM
JonasY
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hong Kong stores?

I can recommend Echo Photo as well, if you want to buy new stuff at least. Be warned for all the bargain stores in TST, huge risk of being ripped off. Don't be fooled over seemingly cheap prices, buy from a recommended store without exceptions.

Unfortunately I never found any good store for used lenses when I lived there.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hong Kong stores?

What about Digital Rev?

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hong Kong stores?

I haven't been to Hong Kong in 20+ years ... but for camera hunting I used to go to Kowloon (ferry ride). Not sure how much things are different / same but thought I'd mention it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:02 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hong Kong stores?

Thanks for the tips!

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:14 PM
MarkJones
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hong Kong stores?

Are the Philipines any better than Hong Kong/Kowloon for camera/lens bargains?

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:42 PM
mojoh

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hong Kong stores?

see...

http://japancamerahunter.com/2012/07/hong-kong-camera-hunter-pt-3-the-last-day/

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/consumers-corner/635497-hong-kong-camera-gears-shopping-guide.html

hope it helps

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hong Kong stores?

Here's a link that might be of interest.
http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/recommended-camera-shops-in-hong-kong/

The "tax free" mention @ the end of the article regarding tourist marketing is interesting.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Nanh

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hong Kong stores?

I usually go to the Sim City near Mong kok.loads of small second hand shops

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hong Kong stores?

I just came back from HK a little over a month ago!! I had some experience walking around SSP (Sum Shiu Po) and TST (Tsim Shai Tsui). Let me add my 2 cents and feel free to ask questions.

First off, I recommend knowing your prices (if you're hunting specific gear) and any associated fees with buying abroad (exchange rate + transaction fees from banks). It may not be as a good a deal as you think. Also, other than buying new or in a large chain store (Fortress(?)), all prices are negotiable to an extent.

Secondly, for the most part, forget about any leica, contax carl zeiss gear, or anything popular for that matter. People are willing to pay out there (~20% more than what I see here). There are the foreigners from abroad and the locally rich HK and now the rich from China on the hunt for what is extremely hard to find in China. You will see awesome and rare and hard to find lenses, but they all cost $$.

Third, test everything if possible. It is especially important to test used gear or alt gear that can be potentially really old. HK is very humid in the summer, double check for fungus. Also, even when buying new, they don't have the same return policy or customer service you'd get here in the States. I do not recommend buying new unless you have an emergency and you REALLY need the gear. You wont get warranty, and if any of them say you will from the States, they're lying or will have you send the gear back to them first.

Fouth, like with any tourist destination and tourists, watch your bags and wallet in case of pickpockets. Things can get very crowded very quickly in HK. I have never been a victim across the US, HK, China, or Europe, but I hear stories from the locals and other travelers.

Finally, if you have a smart phone (preferably GSM (sim card) and unlocked), there is open wifi in many places. However, I personally bought a 3G data plan (which was faster than any 3G I got in San Diego or LA, more like 3.5G) from China Mobile (~78 HKD or 10 USD for 30 days, unlimited). Minutes were cheap too, .25 HKD/minute to HKD or US phone; you have to prepay or fill-up though. I liked having google maps whenever I needed it since I don't know my way around. It was extremely helpful in this regard, not to mention the ability to double check store locations and/or going prices on gear.

I went to Champagne Court in TST. They have about 10 stores on the ground level with gear lining the walls. Amazing! There may be other stores on other levels, but you have to be careful, because the higher floors have call girls. I just stuck with the 1st floor. I was able to get a nice 35-70 3.4 C/Y for about $350 US from "good guys/friends" (literal translation) in the corner of the plaza. There are more stores around TST, but I didn't have time.

SSP has a couple stores for new gear, so wasn't that great unless you want computer or electronics as well. There are a lot of little "flea market" shacks along the road, but those are hit or miss in my opinion since they sell just about everything (really, you can find what some people would consider trash, but there may be a gem of old alt gear in there if you're persistent and patient).

If you can read Chinese and willing to go the craigslist route, they have a site called DCFever which contains a forum for local meet ups to buy and sell. There are also reviews and modeling and other photography related information. Again, I found the prices to be higher than US or eBay for the gear I was looking at.

At the end of the day, I love HK. Very very fun and so many places to take pics. Victoria Peak is very popular as well as Avenue of Stars and the light show viewed from there (8 and 9 pm every night as I recall). There are a lot of smaller farther away, more traditional places too.

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hong Kong stores?

mojoh wrote:
see...

http://japancamerahunter.com/2012/07/hong-kong-camera-hunter-pt-3-the-last-day/

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/consumers-corner/635497-hong-kong-camera-gears-shopping-guide.html

hope it helps

I spot checked a few prices at each of the sites that first link lists and those prices are astronomical - even compared to the expensive places in the USA. (And yes, I know the HKD is about a 7.7 ratio to the USD. )

On lower priced stuff not 20% over as Dudewithoutape explains but two and three HUNDRED percent. Lenses that typically sell for $50 to $150 on ebay and and such were $250 to $350 every time.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hong Kong stores?

MarkJones wrote:
Are the Philipines any better than Hong Kong/Kowloon for camera/lens bargains?

HK is much better than the phils. I used to live in the Philippines and there are very few deals (if any) to be found on decent camera gear.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hong Kong stores?

Try contacting Curtis G. , the OP on the Nikon manual lens tread, on FM. Theres a member/poster from Australia, who worked over there and used to post photos of and discussions of HK resale stores.
Good luck
Harry Palmer

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hong Kong stores?

For used gear, I usually go to All Good Friend Camera. The risk is that you get tempted to buy more than you plan

http://www.allgoodfriendcamera.com

There's also a great shop at the basement floor of the same building.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:16 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hong Kong stores?

OK, I live in Hong Kong, just a quick comment ...

First, those listed in the wordpress post
Echo : never been there
Tin Cheung Camera: Used to like this store, no longer highly recommended after they moved several times and opened several other stores. Check price elsewhere before purchase there.
Wing Shing: Might not be the cheapest but you won't be ripped off.. overall the very reliable. Accept credit cards without extra charges.
DC Fever: Rather reliable store, just seldom purchased there personally.

you can roughly check the price in this website (www.price.com.hk), chinese only.

Good price on small shops are usually cash only and will charge you extra for using credit cards.

Oh yes, avoid those "tax free" signs.... HK is sales tax free.

DigitalRev: I don't know why would people buy from there. They are mostly targeting foreigner and if I remembered right they started the biz by selling high-priced grey market goods (parallel imports are called "Water goods/products" here)..

BS forum in DC Fever does has good deal from time to time but I seldom bother to buy/sell there. People like bargaining (waste of time IMO and sometimes a little insulting) while I don't.

There are many small shops in Sim city (Mongkok), maybe you can find good deals there.

If you like 2nd hand items, older stuffs, go to Champagne court (Tsim sha tsui)... a very old building with some very old shops.. the AllGoodFriends is among them.
(don't go on Sundays since many of them close on Sunday)

Stanley street (Central) has lots of old camera stores too.

Feel free to ask if you want more info.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:40 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hong Kong stores?

ytwong wrote:

First, those listed in the wordpress post
Echo : never been there
Tin Cheung Camera: Used to like this store, no longer highly recommended after they moved several times and opened several other stores. Check price elsewhere before purchase there.
Wing Shing: Might not be the cheapest but you won't be ripped off.. overall the very reliable. Accept credit cards without extra charges.
DC Fever: Rather reliable store, just seldom purchased there personally.

you can roughly check the price in this website (www.price.com.hk), chinese only.

Good price on small shops are usually cash only
...Show more

Any ideas if I can buy a Fujifilm GF670 camera in Hong Kong and what the price might be?

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hong Kong stores?

ytwong wrote:

I've used Tin Cheung Camera a few times in the past, and was always pleased with the outcome. That was a number of years ago now and I don't know how the changes described above may have altered things there.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hong Kong stores?

Any ideas if I can buy a Fujifilm GF670 camera in Hong Kong and what the price might be?

Sorry, really no idea about the price. I'm sure you can find one here, just not sure if you can get a much better price than from, say, eBay.

Tin Cheung ... I am not saying that it is bad. It's a reliable shop (not likely you will be cheated there) but probably don't have price advantage against big electronic chains. Of course, compare to those big chains, Tin Cheung do has less common brands/items.

I think it's funny.... I live in Hong Kong and often found attractive items on eBay that only ship to US.. I think Keh is good place to shop while those live in US trying to buy in Hong Kong...

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:00 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hong Kong stores?

This forum has had great advice on where to go on previous trip to Tokyo etc...

Do you have the link to the post? I just did a quick search and I couldn't locate it (maybe archived?? ). I'm heading to Tokyo 2 weeks later. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password