Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · What 35 mm prime ?

artyH

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · What 35 mm prime ?

If I were buying a 35 MM lens today, I'd get the Canon 35F2 IS. I already have the old Canon 35F2. For my current use, it is fine.
I don't really need wider than F2, and I'd like the IS and USM AF of the new Canon.
My current camera bodies don't microadjust, and so I don't see a need to gamble on an F1.4 lens at this focal length.
I tend to prefer Canon color rendition, and I would certainly want to wait for more reviews before considering any new lenses. All of these lenses are expensive, and I am not in a hurry.
Frankly, most "popular" or "liked" doesn't always mean "best." More people like big Macs than the food in fine restaurants, so I don't make my choices of camera gear on the basis of what is popular. I tend to decide in terms of my photographic wants.

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #2 · What 35 mm prime ?

didierv wrote:
I think it is still interesting to see that half the people on a Canon gearhead forum, where you would expect extremely strong brand loyalty, would pick the Siggie over the 2 Canon lenses.
I am not a huge Sigma fan, but I have to admit it speaks volume for Sigma.

+1
yes it speaks volume for the Sigma

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #3 · What 35 mm prime ?

None of them now.

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:21 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.4 #4 · What 35 mm prime ?

I never shot the Sigma or the 35/2IS, or even the 35/2, but the 35L has proven to be just as reliable as my 70-200/2.8ISII. Reliability is a difficult thing to use as a critrium, because one can never know how reliable the other lens would have been. That said, I think I will never sell my 35/1.4. Don't need IS. Don't need a sharper lens. Fantastic colours.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Luta13
• •
p.4 #5 · What 35 mm prime ?

I don't have the Sigma or the Canon 35mmF2 IS. I do have, and can report, that the Canon 35mm 1.4L is an incredible lens. Focus speed, build quality, image quality...all top notch.
Don't take my word for it though. Look up 'The White House' as a contact on Flickr and you will find that the 35L is Pete Souza's most used lens. I think its safe to say that his photos are fairly important and historical. He trusts the quality of the 35L.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:56 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.4 #6 · What 35 mm prime ?

Lars Johnsson, are you touting the wide open performance of the Sigma over the Zeiss 35mm 1.4?

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · What 35 mm prime ?

splathrop wrote:
Lars Johnsson, are you touting the wide open performance of the Sigma over the Zeiss 35mm 1.4?

The Sigma is sharper wide open. It's also more easy to get perfect focus with. But no lens can beat the Zeiss when it comes to bokeh

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
didierv
• •
p.4 #8 · What 35 mm prime ?

I think I want:
The weight and the IS of the Canon 35 2.0
The sharpness of the Sigma
And the reliability and reputation of the Canon 1.4

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:05 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.4 #9 · What 35 mm prime ?

I voted the sigma but the new Canon IS might be a very good thing too.

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:00 AM
sfcyclist

p.4 #10 · What 35 mm prime ?

didierv wrote:
I think I want:
The weight and the IS of the Canon 35 2.0
The sharpness of the Sigma
And the reliability and reputation of the Canon 1.4

Well said..

Since it's a wish list, might as well add in at price of the IS since Sigma is close?

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rickuz
• •
p.4 #11 · What 35 mm prime ?

The Sony RX1.

Jan 21, 2013 at 03:33 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.4 #12 · What 35 mm prime ?

Rickuz wrote:
The Sony RX1.

Haha

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The Sigma is sharper wide open. It's also more easy to get perfect focus with. But no lens can beat the Zeiss when it comes to bokeh

Do you have bokeh comparison examples? I know Bryan at TDP did a brief 35mm specular highlight bokeh comparison -- sans Zeiss entries -- and the Sigma looked decent, though bested by the 35 IS. Of course there is more to bokeh than just specular highlights. I'd love to see where the Zeiss falls in the 35 lineup.

Jan 21, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · What 35 mm prime ?

subjectochange wrote:
Haha

Do you have bokeh comparison examples? I know Bryan at TDP did a brief 35mm specular highlight bokeh comparison -- sans Zeiss entries -- and the Sigma looked decent, though bested by the 35 IS. Of course there is more to bokeh than just specular highlights. I'd love to see where the Zeiss falls in the 35 lineup.

I'm abroad in Bangkok Thailand so I can't show any bokeh comparisons.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · What 35 mm prime ?

So, 7% difference is very close poll considering IS lens lovers votes took some people away. I am sure Sig is great lens as well as some other they do. But I have bad feelings in following and that is why I would probably never buy this lens.

- Bad af reputation for other Sig lenses. Personally returned 85mm prime for such issue.
- Not as great build and finish as L's.
- Much worse resale in compare to L's, sold two other 35L very quick.
- I believe no complementary lens adjustments as Canon does in Jamesburg. Small thing but I love it.
- Still overpriced even cheaper than L's.
- Canon will eventually distroy it with mk II, but minor to me since it will be huge price tag.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM
didierv
• •
p.4 #15 · What 35 mm prime ?

Breitling65 wrote:
So, 7% difference is very close poll considering IS lens lovers votes took some people away. I am sure Sig is great lens as well as some other they do. But I have bad feelings in following and that is why I would probably never buy this lens.

- Bad af reputation for other Sig lenses. Personally returned 85mm prime for such issue.
- I believe no complementary lens adjustments as Canon does in Jamesburg. Small thing but I love it.
-
...Show more

I just got the Siggie today, I am giving it a try.
Too early to give a verdict.
But I already know on one point you are wrong. Build and finish is a LOT nicer than Canon. This is one solid beautifully crafted lens ! Will it deliver ? time will tell, but fit and finish no worries there.

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:15 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.4 #16 · What 35 mm prime ?

didierv wrote:
I just got the Siggie today, I am giving it a try.
Too early to give a verdict.
But I already know on one point you are wrong. Build and finish is a LOT nicer than Canon. This is one solid beautifully crafted lens ! Will it deliver ? time will tell, but fit and finish no worries there.

+1

Yes the build and finish is great on the new lens. More like the Zeiss/Sony lenses style than the old Sigma style. Funny when people that never have used or seen the lens complain about the build/finish, because they belive it's the same as the old Sigma style
You will love the IQ also

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.4 #17 · What 35 mm prime ?

Breitling65 wrote:

-
...Show more

In addition to the point above about build quality, I don't think the resale of the L is much better at this moment. The 35L was a hit because it was one of the few options for a fast 35 prime. Only real altenative the much more expensive zeiss 35/1.4 which also doesn't have AF.

Now the can choose between the canon L or the (better build, better optically and much cheaper) Sigma I think the L doesn't have such an advantage over the sigma.

About the mk2 to destroy it optically, I doubt it. Canon neither does that with the 50mm.

On topic, having to choose between the three my pick would be the sigma, trough the canon 35/2 IS would be tempting for its smaller size.
But really I would pick the zeiss 35/1.4 ZE any day.

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:15 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.4 #18 · What 35 mm prime ?

Seen some really good bokeh stuff from 35/1.4 L.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:25 PM
sfcyclist

p.4 #19 · What 35 mm prime ?

I might have to try out this Sigma. All things being considering, it's great to just have more than one prime to choose from.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Dpedraza
• •
p.4 #20 · What 35 mm prime ?

zeiss 35mm f2, but it's not on that list so Sigma 35mm 1.4 I heard great things about it

Jan 25, 2013 at 06:42 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password