1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What 35 mm prime ?

robinlee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What 35 mm prime ?

Shield wrote:
I don't buy lenses for how they look. Accurate autofocus is very important though.

I may not own Sigma, but I used both 50mm & 85mm and both AF with no front nor back focus and sharp even on my beloved 5Dc. I have no problem with Sigma, ops fingers crossed!

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Shield
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What 35 mm prime ?

Hey Eyvind - lovin' the dude with the big blue eyebrows. My kids would stay completely in their underwear with painted faces all day if we'd let them!

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:52 PM
didierv
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What 35 mm prime ?

Dudewithoutape wrote:
If you're doing this in order to purchase the lens for yourself, I'd like to ask what you shoot most and your intentions for the lens, and budget. I think they all have their place.

Personally, for me, Sigma!

I mostly shoot street, travel photography. No sports no wildlife.
I am indeed looking at buying a 35 prime to compliment my zooms (16-35 & 24-105), for low light conditions and sometimes night and indoors photography.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What 35 mm prime ?

Normally I would have jumped on the Sigma, but I think I might go for the 35 f/2 IS. IQ looks good, even if not quite as good as Sigma's, although the Canon seems to have better bokeh or at least oof highlights. I just love the thought of 4 stop IS for low light work in dark interiors of galleries etc, where no tripods are allowed. Also the size and weight are very nice. If I were going to be picky, I wish Canon had made it f/1.8, but 1/3 of a stop is barely going to be noticeable.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What 35 mm prime ?

Given a choice - lenses sitting on a table choose one - I'd take the Canon f1.4 if only for a more reassuring build quality. It might be blind faith but I'd live with it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What 35 mm prime ?

Shield wrote:
One other thing about the Sigma I've noticed - I'm just not in love with the colors. Lots of pics I've taken just seem very dark to me; even with the vignetting compensation set to 200% in lightroom. I don't know what it is; we'll see if it's just my imagination when I test the 35L.

Every reviews that I have been reading that compared the colors, say the Sigma is the much better lens. It has less CA and better color correction.
diglloyd write a lot about it in his comparison between these two lenses

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What 35 mm prime ?

didierv wrote:
Interesting to see, that so far the Sigma totals more votes than the 2 Canon combined.
??

not anymore ...

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What 35 mm prime ?

Breitling65 wrote:
not anymore ...

But it say a lot about how really good the Sigma lens is. It's a new lens that just came out. And have very few owners compared to the 35/1,4 L. Still a lot more people like it. It's the Canon forum with many people owning the 35/1,4...........and most people vote for the lens they own.

The Sigma is a great lens. And until Canon release a 35/1,4 II (maybe after that also) it will be the best 35mm with AF for Canon bodies.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What 35 mm prime ?

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
But it say a lot about how really good the Sigma lens is. It's a new lens that just came out. And have very few owners compared to the 35/1,4 L. Still a lot more people like it. It's the Canon forum with many people owning the 35/1,4...........and most people vote for the lens they own.

The Sigma is a great lens. And until Canon release a 35/1,4 II (maybe after that also) it will be the best 35mm with AF for Canon bodies.

There is always new toy in store better than old one I am fine with my third copy of 35L and Canon in general.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:45 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What 35 mm prime ?

I'd like to know from anyone that has the new 35 IS if they have had the chance to compare it to the Zeiss 35 f2. I have the Zeiss lens but I can see where the IS would be really helpful.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Shield
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What 35 mm prime ?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Every reviews that I have been reading that compared the colors, say the Sigma is the much better lens. It has less CA and better color correction.
diglloyd write a lot about it in his comparison between these two lenses

I try to go by what I personally see after I've acquired an item; the "what others' say" is before I've purchased a product. It's just what I've noticed from my own shots with it and most others I see posted. Just looks heavily vignetted to me. Perhaps it's because people weren't shooting other models @ F/1.4 with this crazy sharpness?

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What 35 mm prime ?

So, Canon lenses still winning over new Sig?

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:24 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What 35 mm prime ?

Breitling65 wrote:

Never thought it was a race. Everyone needs to pick their own gear for their own reasons. The Sigma certainly has stirred the pot releasing a wonderful lens at a nice price. If it doesn't fit your style, use something else...but keep childish comments away from good discussions.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:56 AM
didierv
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What 35 mm prime ?

chez wrote:
Never thought it was a race. Everyone needs to pick their own gear for their own reasons. The Sigma certainly has stirred the pot releasing a wonderful lens at a nice price. If it doesn't fit your style, use something else...but keep childish comments away from good discussions.

I think it is still interesting to see that half the people on a Canon gearhead forum, where you would expect extremely strong brand loyalty, would pick the Siggie over the 2 Canon lenses.
I am not a huge Sigma fan, but I have to admit it speaks volume for Sigma.

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What 35 mm prime ?

Breitling65 wrote:

The Sigma seems to win rather easy over any of the Canon 35mm lenses here. Not surprising when the Sigma IQ is better in every review that I have seen

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What 35 mm prime ?

chez wrote:

Poll is a race by defenition ...

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What 35 mm prime ?

didierv wrote:
I think it is still interesting to see that half the people on a Canon gearhead forum, where you would expect extremely strong brand loyalty, would pick the Siggie over the 2 Canon lenses.

It is very understandable to me, every new toy (lens or body) causing total destruction of old Many expecting new 35LII and they are thinking that Canon is reading such posts and will respond soon. Sig lens is not as cheap to drop 35L so quick. 35L is a work horse for many good photographers who are laughing by reading such threads.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What 35 mm prime ?

didierv wrote:

+100

Very true

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What 35 mm prime ?

Breitling65 wrote:

maybe for "IQ" but Sigma prices look better

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What 35 mm prime ?

CW100 wrote:
maybe for "IQ" but Sigma prices look better

I wouldn't call Sig cheap as well. Resale on L always would be better anyway.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:45 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.