Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

MattSepeta
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

So I got robbed pretty seriously the other day. $3k worth of stuff, gone, just like that. Luckily I was pleasure shooting on a weekend so only had my backup gear.

Anyways, luckily I was insured (USAA is AWESOME!) and through my valuable personal property policy as well as my renters policy was able to replace everything. The only downside was that I had yet to update the property list with a new lens and the bag that was stolen, so I had to pay a deductible on that claim.

Let my misfortune serve as a reminder for everyone else, be sure to insure your gear, and be diligent about updating the property policies contents. The $300 yearly premium I have been paying for my airtight coverage paid off in spades.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:20 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

What happened? they grabbed it while you were out shooting? stole from car?

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Sorry about the theft, and of course agree 100%. I'm always cautious, but you can't prevent everything - whether it's damage or theft. Having the insurance prevents paranoia, haha.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:15 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #4 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Had 5K worth of gear stolen in Portugal in 2006. Uninsured. That was a dark time in my life.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:46 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Sorry you have to go through that, but whew...thank God for insurance.

DannyBostwick wrote:
Had 5K worth of gear stolen in Portugal in 2006. Uninsured. That was a dark time in my life.

I had a car stolen once with no insurance. It was a cheaper used car I had just gotten, and it was not worth much...I think around $3k. I know how horrible that felt. I cannot even imagine the feeling of having gear stolen without insurance. Besides, I have more money invested in anything we own besides our house

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:32 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #6 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

I was at a local ski hill on my day off work with a photography buddy trying to get some cool photos. I had my bag left leaning against the lift operator hut while I was on foot in the immediate area (Small local hill, I know practically every one there). Turned my head the bags gone. I have left my cameras there for the past 6 years while shooting snowboarding and skiing with no problems, but I guess it was bound to happen. Lesson learned.

Heres the kicker: This bag that got stolen was a replacement for a bag that got stolen a month ago: I forgot my empty camera bag was in my car when i ran into a best buy, came out- window smashed, bag gone. Luckily it was 100% empty, so no biggie.

Also, my car got rear ended while parked last month.

My insurance underwriters must think I'm scamming them!!

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:36 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #7 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Hate to hear that Matt. I got my photography business liability/equipment insurance through USAA as well. They had travelers underwrite the actual business policy. Cost me a little over $500yr. Great company to deal with.

Greg

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:44 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #8 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

g-money wrote:
Hate to hear that Matt. I got my photography business liability/equipment insurance through USAA as well. They had travelers underwrite the actual business policy. Cost me a little over $500yr. Great company to deal with.

Greg

We have our personal insurance through USAA and yes, they are great. Our business insurance is through Hill & Usher, but I suppose I should get a quote from USAA before my policy is set to renew.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:56 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Sorry to hear about that but glad to hear you have USAA. They are amazing. We also have them from personal home and auto and just had them replace our roof after Sandy hit. I will look into using them for my business policies as well. I'm with Hill & Usher/Hartford at the moment.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #10 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Important to mention personal and renter's may not replace your equipment if you use it for business purposes over 50% of the time, or as your primary source of income. Just a note to check with your insurance company and policy before you run into a situation such as the one above....

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

a2rob
• • •
p.1 #11 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

maxwell1295 wrote:
Sorry to hear about that but glad to hear you have USAA. They are amazing. We also have them from personal home and auto and just had them replace our roof after Sandy hit. I will look into using them for my business policies as well. I'm with Hill & Usher/Hartford at the moment.

H& U here also, they told me that I do not qualify for the business insurance..

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:53 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Daboyle wrote:
personal and renter's may not replace your equipment if you use it for business purposes over 50% of the time

When I first started in the business, I mistakenly had my business equipment listed under personal/renters. When the agent noticed the dollar value of my "personal" equipment ballooning, he said, "Just to let you know ... if you have a loss of any of that equipment and the insurance company finds out that you made even ONE NICKEL of money from that equipment in a professional capacity, they will deny any and all claims".

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:27 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #13 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

johnrg wrote:
We have our personal insurance through USAA and yes, they are great. Our business insurance is through Hill & Usher, but I suppose I should get a quote from USAA before my policy is set to renew.

Same here Autos through USAA. I checked with both a couple years ago and USAA beat HIll & Usher on price for same coverage. Let us know how things compare for you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #14 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Horrible. Happy you have good coverage.
Had a bag of gear stolen years ago at a wedding.
Empty feeling. Hope your story has a happy ending.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

MattSepeta wrote:
So I got robbed pretty seriously the other day. $3k worth of stuff, gone, just like that

Robbery: /ˈräb ər ee/ The felonious taking of personal property from someone using force or the threat of force.

MattSepeta wrote:
I had my bag left leaning against the lift operator hut while I was on foot in the immediate area (Small local hill, I know practically every one there). Turned my head the bags gone. I have left my cameras there for the past 6 years while shooting

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #16 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

omg...did you really just post that? /slap

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Aremac 01
• •
p.1 #17 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

clarence3 wrote:
Robbery: /ˈräb ər ee/ The felonious taking of personal property from someone using force or the threat of force.

Douche: noun \ˈdüsh\ An obnoxious bastard who is a complete and total ass to everyone. Must always be the center of attention even if it means doing or saying something socially awkward.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #18 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

Straight from USAA site: Cameras
Cameras, lenses, flash equipment and accessories for personal use.

So I am guessing that your claim falls under personal use! Man I wish I could get ussaa, I have been a member for years with them. Heck even been to the headquarters in San Antonio. It's like a city within a city....

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:45 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

If they want to stick it to you, just FYI, USAA/Hartford can deny your claim based on your being a professional photographer and say it wasn't personal use. I was with USAA/Hartford for quite a while before someone made me aware of that and now I've *really* got my ass covered. And it's a good thing, too, because I had 20k of gear stolen about a year ago.

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:47 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #20 · INSURANCE- HAVE IT

TTLKurtis wrote:
If they want to stick it to you, just FYI, USAA/Hartford can deny your claim based on your being a professional photographer and say it wasn't personal use. I was with USAA/Hartford for quite a while before someone made me aware of that and now I've *really* got my ass covered. And it's a good thing, too, because I had 20k of gear stolen about a year ago.

Thanks Kurtis now I am beginning to settling down a little bit!!

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password