Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Yep, and a whole lot better than the photographer on the other end of it does!

I had to run down to Durango from Denver to do some work stuff and so decided to head out early and spend a night in Alamosa, which meant an early AM trip to Great Sand Dunes NP was on the agenda. I left the hotel at 5:30 and got to the park at 6. On the way two different temperature gauges mocked my plans by indicating -29 and -33. When I got to the park I had it to myself (!) and wandered out towards the dune field. Truthfully, it was pretty hard going and it was still dark so it was harder getting a comp than I expected and I wasn't as successful as I would have liked.

OTOH, the gear held up perfectly. The Gitzo tripod and RRS ballhead were smooth and even though the ballhead ended up with a bit of frost on it, they worked better than I expected. As for the camera, it did everything I wanted. I was outside for about 90 minutes and it did take about 2 hours for it to come back up to temp (wrapped in a towel and left in my shooting bag to avoid condensation), but then again so did I and I had the benefit of hot shower.

'Nuff talk, here's a quick edit of one of the first shots, and yes, those are a couple of stars hanging out above Mt. Herard

Peace,

Todd

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Nice scene.

What did you pick for white balance? Make the sunlit peak white and let the shadows fall where they may?

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Hey Todd,

Boy, that is sure pretty cold. It looks like it was worth it though, a pretty sweet shot here.

Jim

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2of9
• •
p.1 #4 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Very good to know.

Here in Minnesota, we're supposed to get a couple negative days for the weather, possibly dipping in the -10 to -20(f) degrees. Was there any shutter lag at all? I know it's a D800 but for that beast to hold out that well in that kind of weather for that amount of time is quit impressive. My Nikon D90 begins to lag a bit on focus once it's out too long in that kind of weather.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:15 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

beautiful work Todd, I have been out in those temps shooting before and it can be a real challenge. Very good work and i am amazed at the dynamic range represented here.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:39 PM
SSISteve
• • •
p.1 #6 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

You are a real trooper to get out there in that kind of cold. The image looks a little too blue for me. I would like to see it warmed up a little.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
Nice scene.

What did you pick for white balance? Make the sunlit peak white and let the shadows fall where they may?

Thanks Vox - in camera I shot the scene on auto WB and then in post did just as you surmised, setting WB on the peak. The scene really was about that blue - this was just before sunrise and so the snow was picking up all it's reflected light from the sky. I'll post a few pics taken later in the session as things warmed up a bit, though never all that much.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

JimFox wrote:
Hey Todd,

Boy, that is sure pretty cold. It looks like it was worth it though, a pretty sweet shot here.

Jim

Thanks Jim, it was a worthwhile outing even without a shot. Now that I'm back home I'll take a better look at what I got and try to post up a better one.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:32 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

2of9 wrote:
Very good to know.

Here in Minnesota, we're supposed to get a couple negative days for the weather, possibly dipping in the -10 to -20(f) degrees. Was there any shutter lag at all? I know it's a D800 but for that beast to hold out that well in that kind of weather for that amount of time is quit impressive. My Nikon D90 begins to lag a bit on focus once it's out too long in that kind of weather.

No shutter lag at all. And I was surprised at how well the AF worked considering that it was focusing on white snow with little light. Remarkable camera.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

jmcfadden wrote:
beautiful work Todd, I have been out in those temps shooting before and it can be a real challenge. Very good work and i am amazed at the dynamic range represented here.

Thanks John. The best part is that I left a lot of DR on the table. I am amazed at what this camera does.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:34 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

SSISteve wrote:
You are a real trooper to get out there in that kind of cold. The image looks a little too blue for me. I would like to see it warmed up a little.

Thanks Steve. To be honest, the scene was that blue, perhaps even a bit more so as I warmed it up a touch in post. That said, I processed this on a laptop in a hotel in five minutes. I'll take a longer look at it in the next day or two and see if I can't come out with something better. BTW, it was that blue as this was still before sunrise and so all the light on that snow was from a barely lit sky.

Peace,

Todd

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:37 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

That's a lovely shot Todd. Very nice. The GSDNP is a wonderful place; I stayed at the lodge just outside the park entrance and froze myself off waiting for star trails. -31F is simply unbelievable!

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

remember its a dry cold

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:40 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Does a D800e work at -31F?

Great shot. Might be my imagination but it feels like everything is tilting down to the left.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password