Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · It's Not Every Day....

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · It's Not Every Day....

...I get to shoot the very best. The world champion Miami Heat came to town last night and for me this was like being a kid and waiting for Christmas. The buzz in the arena was palpable hours before tip-off, from the ushers to the fans who arrived early seeking autographs to, yes, even the photographers. Performance pressure didn't stop it from being a great night with lots of my photos picked up by various outlets, and the Jazz won! Here are a few with an obvious bias toward a couple of the visitors. C&C welcome. Full gallery HERE

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:40 AM
skogis
• •
p.1 #2 · It's Not Every Day....

Great set Russ!
My fav is no.6.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:28 AM
BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · It's Not Every Day....

Great set, Russ. Not much else to say, except you set the bar pretty high.

Bill

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:04 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #4 · It's Not Every Day....

Nice gallery.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:06 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #5 · It's Not Every Day....

Nice Russ...
I think you should start wearing one of those sleeves as well. they must help somehow. How did Chamberlain, Russel, Marovich, Jordan, Pippen... etc. ever manage to play without them?
... or perhaps you do already, no doubt steadying your shooting arm?

bb

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:20 PM
jakita33
• • • •
p.1 #6 · It's Not Every Day....

#6 was ESPN's homepage image for a good chunk of yesterday. Very cool!

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #7 · It's Not Every Day....

It's Not Every Day.... Lebron gets photographed by Russ Isabella!!!! Nice job making the stars look so good! #1 and #6 are my favs. So I'm curious what was your assignment from USA TODAY, shoot the Jazz or the STARS? Do you typically shoot both teams when your working on assignment? I want to have fun like you.

Ben

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Aqualung
• • •
p.1 #8 · It's Not Every Day....

very nice...also #1 & #6 for me...

Chris

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:36 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #9 · It's Not Every Day....

Very good set Russ. #1 is awesome!

Theron

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · It's Not Every Day....

Thank you, Peter.

Bill: Thanks. Glad you liked 'em.

Thanks, Mike.

Bob: I don't yet wear a sleeve. Or a head band for that matter. But now that you mention it, putting down and picking up that camera/long-lens combo 50 or more times per game is beginning to wear on my left elbow, so maybe.... Thanks.

Thanks for the info, Jason. Capitalizing on a bit of a pictorial pun, a number of sites have been using the last shot for an article about the fact Dwyane Wade was not on the court (get it?) for much for much of the fourth quarter. You really never know...

Ben: I could go on for quite a while in response to your question. Basically, I'm there to shoot the event, from warm-ups and pre-game authograph signings through post-game celebrations/dejection and everything in between. Where the action is concerned, I'm shooting both teams. BUT, as I noted in another (cheerleader photos) thread, I have about 40 opportunities throughout the season to shoot the Jazz, and in the case of the Miami Heat, only 1. So there's incentive to pay a bit more attention to the visitors than the home team. As well, no surprise, photos of LeBron James have much greater sales potential than photos of Earl Watson. This is taken into account while shooting the game mostly to the extent it might apply to follow-through (reactions to a play or call by a ref) and away-from-the-action (sitting on the bench) shots, because otherwise it's mostly a matter of following the action. Then there's the initial submission (pre-game, during game, post-game), where the imbalance might not be so great, versus the stock submissions after the fact, where my emphasis definitely will be on subjects more favorable to the media. Thanks for your comments, and question--hope I've answered it!

Thanks, Chris!

Theron: Thank you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #11 · It's Not Every Day....

Russ - even with all the speed of the stars, pressure knowing you might only have one chance to get that shot, star power, etc... you nailed all of these! Amazing set and thanks as always for sharing and caring.

Chad

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:44 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · It's Not Every Day....

Russ - excellent! Gotta love the tongue in #6 - great shot buddy!

Matt

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #13 · It's Not Every Day....

Great set! So, the Jazz beat the Lakers and now the Heat? They must be inspired by your presence and excellent images!

Paul

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:50 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #14 · It's Not Every Day....

Great shots and great images to study for those of us learning how to shoot basketball. Thank you.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:49 AM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #15 · It's Not Every Day....

Nice set Russ. Nailed #6...with just the right shutter speed to grab everything sharp except the motion of the ball...perfect!

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:22 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #16 · It's Not Every Day....

Way ta go, Russ- I'm amazed at how much you've developed as a photographer in such a short time (or so it seems, the way time is flying, lol). Putting out some great images, and I'm sure you're having a blast doing it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:59 PM
dartheyeball
• •
p.1 #17 · It's Not Every Day....

Great set Russ!

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #18 · It's Not Every Day....

Great set!!

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #19 · It's Not Every Day....

Wow.... No wonder they were picked up by outlets.. Holy crap batman..

Simply stunning..

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · It's Not Every Day....

Thank you, Chad. I appreciate your comments.

Matt: Yeah, the tongue adds a nice touch! Thank you.

Paul: Haha. No doubt I am a source of inspiration for them. Or just an inconvenient mass for them to avoid along the baseline. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks, Andy.

Greg: Glad you like the shot. Thanks.

Tom: Yes, I am having a blast. And it's amazing what repetition can accomplish! Thanks, as always, my friend.

dartheyeball and Shane: Thanks!

Manny: Batman, eh? Haha. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password