Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Fish Fryer light

Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fish Fryer light

Anyone have an old Fish Fryer light complete with stand for sale? I'm in the market.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fish Fryer light

I have a fish fryer and lots of lights but am not familiar with a "fish fryer" light. What does it look like and what type of lighting does it produce. I don't have one, but might want one to light the next "One pound fish... " video

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fish Fryer light

The term might be a colloquialism, but I've only seen this light referred to as a Fish Fryer. If it has another name, it would make my search for one easier! The light quality is even. The biggest advantage is that you can mount multiple strobes in the bank.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fish Fryer light

Okay, so the link to Bass Pro Shops isn't gonna help, huh?

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:37 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fish Fryer light

A common term is "light bank", e.g. Bron's Cumulight. Btw, mounting two sources is also possible by using a Chimera 3030M: www.chimeralighting.com/Products/Parts-and-Lighting-Grip/Lighting-Grip

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fish Fryer light

Thanks, Peter. Light bank is a term I know. Unfortunately, I can't afford a Broncolor Cumulite or Hazy.
That's why I'm looking for this older light.

I think one of the advantages to the light I posted is the scooped housing. I think the strobes would mount with the flash tube facing the rear of the housing, and the light is scooped around to the front. Gives a really even light source with no hotspots. Unlike front mounted soft boxes.

Any ideas who made that light bank?

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:08 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fish Fryer light

Photogenic made a light bank lovingly referred to as the "hog trough".

Most photographers used it unimaginatively as a fill light behind the camera. It gave gorgeous light as a main, turned perpendicular to the subject. The wraparound and falloff was exquisite, it gave a great ratio for color negative film with no other source.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:23 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fish Fryer light

Are you familiar with Peter Gowland? He was a CA glamour shooter who created a "Gowlandflex" 4x5 twin lens reflex camera, huge rolling camera stands, etc. What you picture resembles his camera stands so it might be one of his creations. I recall seeing a web site maybe five years ago where he said he was retiring and selling off his studio gear.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fish Fryer light

Thanks, I checked Google images and his actual site. Wow, what a tinkerer and technician that guy was. Unfortunately, I didn't see it anywhere.

Doug, thanks, I did a Google search for the trough and it came up as the Photogenic Skylight in one of your older FM posts, haha

Ellis Vener also recommended a Lucifero Window Light, which has a dreamy light to it, too. He's looking into a few local ones by him for me. See what the asking price is.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:37 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fish Fryer light

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Any ideas who made that light bank?

All I know of are/were custom made, of metal or fibre glass. As they are somehow replaced by the large variety of (light weight) textil softboxes there's likely no demand anymore.
The mentioned Aladino / Lucifero comes to my mind as well if it's about linear tubes . Profoto offer them called StillightXL / XXL. (aluminium housing), made by Bacht / Germany. Very expensive.
If it were me, I'd tinker a box in the desired shape, add a frame with "white diffusion" foil to the front and place Aladinos inside (in fact, a copy of the Window light). They are still available, either used
www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310547639342&item=310547639342
or, similar, from Elinchrom:
www.elinchrom.com/product/Digital-RE.html#content

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fish Fryer light

Interesting. Thank you, Peter. Do you think the tube on eBay could be rewired for Speedotron by a qualified tech?

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fish Fryer light

I saw a similar concept in a "light tent" that used essentially three (left, top, right) of these that were fiberglass scoops with a white diffusion panel. It was a dinosaur piece, but "Oh my." I could only imagine the possibilities. It was in a fabric outlet warehouse (go figure).

In the realm of tinkering ... I'm wondering if a pool manufacturer (I've got one nearby) could produce something similar as a one off.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:34 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fish Fryer light

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Interesting. Thank you, Peter. Do you think the tube on eBay could be rewired for Speedotron by a qualified tech?

Yes, absolutely no problem. I'm not sure if replacement tubes are still readily available...maybe that a call to e.g. Flashclinic NY would clear this up.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fish Fryer light

I was thinking Flash Clinic, too.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:09 PM
10box

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fish Fryer light

This guy has a Cumulite at a fair price and also the coolest light I've seen in 40 years as a pro.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pho/3547755515.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pho/3548135511.html

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fish Fryer light

That second link is outstanding, lol

I really would be happy with what I initially posted. Anyone have any info?

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Jim Quinn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fish Fryer light

Another choice might be the 4x6-foot Lastolite Megalite, $650 with adjustable stand at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613047-REG/Lastolite_LL_LB6488KIT_Megalite_6x4_Softbox_with.html

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:56 PM
HelenB

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fish Fryer light

Have you asked Lens & Repro? We have a custom built thing (built for Dick Frank) that looks like it is bigger than that one. He had two made - I could ask him what happened to to it. You could come and have a look at the remaining one at our studio in TriBeCa if you want. It takes four Speedo heads and is currently hooked up to three 2401 packs. It used to have an Ascor head in it until the Ascor power supply went on the fritz.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:55 AM
visualist

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fish Fryer light

Just to tease you

http://www.quoka.de/hifi-audio-tv-video-foto/foto-und-zubehoer/c7290a99592296/broncolor-hazy-light.html

"I think one of the advantages to the light I posted is the scooped housing. I think the strobes would mount with the flash tube facing the rear of the housing, and the light is scooped around to the front."

With hardboxes you never really can tell what they look like inside. Some years ago i've seen one on ebay with 4 flashtubes, each 1m long, while my Multiblitz is basically a square beauty-dish.

On the other hand, building a Luzifero copy should be a piece of cake and cheap too. Sheet aluminium costs next to nothing, at least compared to the 2nd hand prices you pay for a Hazy in the states.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/380358-REG/Dynalite_RB1000_RB1000_Pencil_Style_1000.html

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 03:00 AM · View previous versions

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fish Fryer light

Helen,

I'm up the street on 7th Ave South. Do I get to meet Dick Frank

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end