Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Any suggestions for a wireless flash trigger to use with the 6D? Don't want to invest in PocketWizards... thought about Canon's remote... but is there something else that isn't as expensive for wireless, off the camera flash work?

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Phottix Odins .....work like a charm

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Buy the new 90EX to use as the master.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Luta13
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

I have two sets of Cactus V5 triggers. They are $75 for a set of two on Amazon. They work great. Triggers up to 100 meters. Has 16-channels. Any one can act as the transceiver or the receiver.
Overall, a great product at a good price.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:38 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Second on the Cactus V5s...been making $ off of them for the last two years. Not the best build quality, but for the price they can't be beat. The battery tray on the first batch would stubbornly not close, but the newer ones that I have work perfectly.

I did have the hot shoe on top separate from the trigger, and that one just became my dedicated transmitter.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:57 PM
svmnb

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Confirmed NOT working on 6D: Yongnuo ST-E2.
Had to return the transmitter and ordered the original Canon part.

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:58 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

A used ST-E2 or a used 580EX (as master) would be reasonable. I got an ST-E2 used for $115. Works great indoors, haven't tried outdoors yet (probably not so good).

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:29 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Question.... in using the ST-E2, is it a line of sight device? That is, do the flashes have to be in front of the ST-E2?

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

coppertop wrote:
Question.... in using the ST-E2, is it a line of sight device? That is, do the flashes have to be in front of the ST-E2?

The st-e2 (and the other opticle master/slave options ) are 'line of site' . But in reality the slave only has to see the masters coded flash pulses so indoors bounce flash can work.
The master sends the command as part of the pre flashes. The st-e2 is Basicly a flash with a deep red IR filter on the front.
The slave picks up the command via the front of the flash (on the main body) . So as long as the front body of the slave can see the master it should work. Covering the front with things like soft boxes is a sure way to make things fail.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:53 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Thanks... guess I need a radio transmitter. There are times I hold the flash at odd angles. Looking for a wireless solution because the cord often gets in the way.

Leaning towards the Phottix Strato II. Ran across it while looking at the Odins.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

coppertop wrote:
Thanks... guess I need a radio transmitter. There are times I hold the flash at odd angles. Looking for a wireless solution because the cord often gets in the way.

Leaning towards the Phottix Strato II. Ran across it while looking at the Odins.

In that case it may be worth making the migration to the radio based 600rt and or the st-e3 .
Not cheap but as has been mentioned on here many times they do work a treat

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:11 PM
garjor

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

YN622C?

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

coppertop wrote:

It is line of sight with a twist...bounced signals work so indoors with walls the ST-E2 works wonderfully. Often I'm in front of the flashes and the flash sensors often point in the wrong direction yet I've got zero failure indoors...quite impressive. I haven't used it outdoors but I suspect it won't be so good without the walls or surfaces to bounce the signals.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

How many speedlites are we talking about? What the distance for camera to Speedlite? If it is only one or all the speedlites are in one general area use a long Ettl cord to the master and then the slaves only have to see it not the camera.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:44 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Michael White wrote:
How many speedlites are we talking about? What the distance for camera to Speedlite? If it is only one or all the speedlites are in one general area use a long Ettl cord to the master and then the slaves only have to see it not the camera.

For the most part, one flash. I've got a cord but it gets in the way too much.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:45 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

The Phottix Strato II's were delivered today. Nice, simple wireless units that work nice. Kinda wish they were shorter in length (or at least the transmitter) but it's gonna be nice to not worry about cords.

Thanks for all the input.

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Cactus v5, the hotshoe connection can slip, otherwise they are pretty reliable, I use them in harsh conditions for camera traps and only 1 has failed in 2 years. You'll lose ttl, so have to consider that if youre not used to using manual settings.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Deadeye008

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

I use a CyberSync Trigger and Receiver with my 6D and love them. Awesome range and I have been using them for a couple years now(not on the 6D) and have had zero problems. I have just the basic trigger and receiver.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:14 AM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

YN622C here. It's dead simple, reliable, and does everything that the 600EXRTs do.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM
abraxsis

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D and wireless flash solutions...

Ditto the Cybersync from Paul C. Buff. Been using them for about 3 years now. Can be used with full on studio strobes or small flashes. I have a set of Vivitar 5600s that have been modified to take large Sealed Lead Acid batteries and have 1/4" phono trigger ports, the Cybersyncs have never failed with them, and I have used them about 150 yards away. On the studio strobes front, I have used my Cybersyncs with a wide range. Everything from Paul C. Buff's Alien Bees to a set of Profotos.

Best part? For the cost of a SINGLE Pocketwizard (which I still think sounds like a sex toy) you can have a set of Cybersyncs that include a transmitter and two receivers. Cant beat that for the quality!

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.