Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

I'm planning on being there on the 20th.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.2 #2 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Michael Frye sent me this e-mail update this morning (Wed, 2-13):

"... a quick report on Horsetail Fall. During a private workshop on Monday I had a chance to check out the water flow. Id say its a little below average for mid-February, but definitely better than last year. Despite six weeks of mostly dry weather theres still some snow on top of El Capitan to feed the waterfall, and temperatures are supposed to rise a bit this week, which should help melt that snow and increase the water volume.

The window of best light for Horsetail Fall starts this weekend and lasts about a week to ten days. If our dry spell continues we should see some clear skies at sunset during that time an essential requirement for the Horsetail light show. But the long-range forecast calls for precipitation next Tuesday and Wednesday, so well see."

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

WAYCOOL wrote:
http://www.michaelfrye.com/articles/horsetail.html
The first time a shot this there were only maybe 25 people in the picnic area and it showed 2 nites in a row, first time I saw it there were clouds in the way near the peak the clouds parted an in about 15 seconds revealed the fall in full glory a bright cherry red a truly awe inspiring moment. The next night no cloud and the show was a gradual fade in to its peak not as dramatic but very cool to see.

I've tried 2 times sense then most recently a couple of years ago 10 time
...Show more

Hey man, I was reading your book, as I have never been to Yosemite. I wanted to hike into Cathedral Rock, but my father will be with me, and probably might get mad at that idea I will definitely say hello. I will most likely have a blue Marmot vest on and a well traveled manfrotto tripod

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.2 #4 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

I am in Yosemite now. Checked Horsetail twice, the last time at 3:30 pm and I saw no water. Otherwise the conditions are appear perfect. There is apparently snow above, there just needs to be enough warmth to melt it. Maybe tomorrow.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:27 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Chuck Eklund wrote:
I am in Yosemite now. Checked Horsetail twice, the last time at 3:30 pm and I saw no water. Otherwise the conditions are appear perfect. There is apparently snow above, there just needs to be enough warmth to melt it. Maybe tomorrow.

Hey Chuck,

Now I am not there, and you are. But I will say from past experience, that I have seen no water falling or dripping at 3:30, but shortly after it slowly starts to melt enough and finally by 4:30 you see some flow with it slowly increasing towards sunset. So perhaps 3:30 might have been too early to call it off?

Jim

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:37 AM
jph1
• • •
p.2 #6 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Update: I was there last night (Feb 13th), and no flow to speak of.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:26 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Checking the web cam there is not particularly a large flow in yosemite fall either must be cold in the high country.

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Eadward

p.2 #8 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Weather.com and wunderground say its quite warm in Yosemite Valley, up to 60 or so during the day on Friday/Saturday. Assuming its much cooler on top of El Capitan? How would this impact Horsetail?

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

NOAA is showing high 20s at night, and mow 50s for highs.. warmer there than here!

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Eadward wrote:
Weather.com and wunderground say its quite warm in Yosemite Valley, up to 60 or so during the day on Friday/Saturday. Assuming its much cooler on top of El Capitan? How would this impact Horsetail?

The word is there is some snow up on top of El Capitan, so in theory, the warmer it is, the more that will melt, and the more that will flow down Horsetail Falls. But as someone else pointed out from the Yosemite Webcams, the flow off of Yosemite Falls is down quite a bit from where it was 6 weeks ago with all the storms in there. Now two different water sources, except they are both high country water sources, so it can help to give an idea.

I would say from what we heard, that water flow on Horsetail will be there, but be very light. I am not sure what is going to change in the next few days to change from what the first hand reports have been over the last few days. Now wait a week, there is supposed to maybe be some precipitation there during the week, that will help. And also as it get's later, more sun will hit the surface face where Horsetail Falls is, so even if the water isn't flowing super well, with the face of the rock being lit up a bit by the sun, a person can still get some kind of cool shots.

Jim

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nikon65
• • •
p.2 #11 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Great shots !!! Todd

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.2 #12 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

To Any Neophytes:

Note regarding waterflow or lack thereof -

Don't let limited water dissuade you from making the pilgrimage if you're new to this.

Even a trickle coupled with the slick, shiny granite will produce an exciting apparition because the main attraction is really the stunning impression made when you see a brilliant vertical streak of sunlit water/rock against the dark granite wall in shade, when your eye doesn't expect to see light there.

And, the comraderie enjoyed with a group of like-minded photogs on site is also worth the trip.

All-in-all a wonderful experience win or lose on the shot.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.2 #13 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Jim,

You hit the nail on the head. Today(Thursday) Horsetail had some water in the morning, but by noon it appeared dry. But by 4:30 or so there was a light flow. It was not spectacular, but something and I'm sure an incentive for those staying to return Friday. I have to say even though I didn't get what I had hoped for on this my second try it was still fun - nice people - and I am sure I will be pleased with the light I did capture.

Chuck

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

SNOW IS LIKELY Tuesday and Wednesday in Yosemite! Hope it snows on Friday when I get there

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.2 #15 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

A good "Horsetail Year" can also be quite lucrative.

In addition to selling dozens of prints over the years, here is a link to one of our many Horsetail photos sold as a book cover to illustrate the work of French philosopher, intellectual and Sorbonne professor, Henry Corbin. The editor thought the scene of Horsetail Fall very aptly illustrated the mystical qualities in the author's work:

"Man of Light" Book Cover

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Now it is showing snow from Tuesday until at least Friday.. which is great, but would like one clear night for stars

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:49 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.2 #17 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Was planning on driving up today based on Michael Frye's tweet earlier this week (referenced in the email posted above). He tweeted today that the flow is disappointing. He did add with the low flow that the Southside Drive spot from his book/app is a better option than the picnic area. If you don't have the app, it's worth it even if you already have his book if only for the realtime azimuth of sunrise/sunset from each of his photo locations.

I'm heading up to Badger Pass so I'll have my gear and may go over.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:41 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.2 #18 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

+1. Michael Frye is a big help and does it so selflessly. Got his horsetail falls update on email. :-)

LA_Sportsman wrote:
Was planning on driving up today based on Michael Frye's tweet earlier this week (referenced in the email posted above). He tweeted today that the flow is disappointing. He did add with the low flow that the Southside Drive spot from his book/app is a better option than the picnic area. If you don't have the app, it's worth it even if you already have his book if only for the realtime azimuth of sunrise/sunset from each of his photo locations.

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:22 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

From a friend of mine who was up there last night (Friday night), they didn't see any water flowing at all. So with the forecast of snow coming this week later according to Dustin, next weekend would be the better weekend than this.

Jim

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:26 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Yosemite Horsetail Falls 2013

Dustin Gent wrote:
Now it is showing snow from Tuesday until at least Friday.. which is great, but would like one clear night for stars

Hey Dustin, don't forget you want a clear night to shoot Horsetail Falls... Too many clouds and the sun won't be able to break through and light up the falls.

I am going to watch this, if there is enough snow falling later in the week, I might just head up there too.

Jim

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:28 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password