Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · 6D AF tests anyone?

If you own the 5D2, you can expect much the same AF performance form the 6D. The 5D2 is usable for tracking moving subjects, but hardly ideal. So is the 6D.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Michaelparris wrote:
No offense but i do not understand the point of the 2nd picture

Maybe it wasn't a good example. Basically, I was playing around with it to see how well the outer focus points performed. (I am one of those who had been frustrated with the AF of 5D2.) In both rooms that I took these two pictures, it's not well lit. I didn't have a 5D2 at the time, but I'm positive that a 5D2 wouldn't be able to focus really well in both situations.

For the 2nd picture, it's after midnight. Outside was completely dark and the room was lit with only two 75-watt light bulbs. I tried here and there and the camera was able to to pick up focus everywhere. (Note here that my interest was only the outer focus points. I have no concern with the center one.) Then, I saw the reflection of the LCD screen and I tried it out. The picture was in focus--meaning it's the same as I saw it. (Even though nothing was particular "sharp" out of the reflection even through my own eyes, there were some contrasts there.) The outer focus points were able to pick up the bigger white grille, but not the smaller one. I found that to be good enough.

Other than that, I haven't found many other situations where the outer focus points of my 6D wouldn't be able to focus. In short, even though they're not cross-type, they work very well.

BTW, these two pictures weren't intended to answer the questions of the original poster, but to respond to your post regarding how the outer focus points struggled at Best Buy.

Hope this help clarifying the point of the 2nd picture.

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:55 PM
danb121
• •
p.2 #3 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Daan B wrote:
If you own the 5D2, you can expect much the same AF performance form the 6D. The 5D2 is usable for tracking moving subjects, but hardly ideal. So is the 6D.

And your statement comes from first hand experience or assumption

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 04:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:55 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.2 #4 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I didn't realize the whole image was a reflection. Almost everything else is a consequence of this.

I was puzzled by lack of focus anywhere in the frame (I still am, but I think maybe you cropped the image). It made me wonder about the merits of outer AF points.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #5 · 6D AF tests anyone?

ciprian.trofin wrote:

I didn't realize the whole image was a reflection. Almost everything else is a consequence of this.

I was puzzled by lack of focus anywhere in the frame (I still am, but I think maybe you cropped the image). It made me wonder about the merits of outer AF points.

Gotcha. I guess it would have helped if I didn't crop out everything else, but I just didn't want you to see the mess in my kitchen around the TV.

Anyway, as much I had doubt on how the AF of 6D would perform when I saw the specs, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. And that's coming from someone who used 5D2's and a current user of a 5D3.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · 6D AF tests anyone?

danb121 wrote:
And your statement comes from first hand experience or assumption

Doesn't matter really, but 1st hand. One cross type AF point and a bunch of single axis outer AF points makes it hard to make one stand out from the other.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:23 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #7 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Its certainly an improvement over the 5d2.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:22 PM
danb121
• •
p.2 #8 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Daan B wrote:
Doesn't matter really, but 1st hand. One cross type AF point and a bunch of single axis outer AF points makes it hard to make one stand out from the other.

Of course it matters you can't go making statemants about something if you don't have first hand experience... but seeing as you do that's fine.

I'm more than happy with the focus on my 6D, but I don't do wildlife so tracking isn't that important to me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:04 PM
wbee08

p.2 #9 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Just recently picked up a new 6D body and decided to try it out for Friday night basketball. I did not have long to shoot before deadline and decided to try the 6D body with a 50 1.8 under the basket. I used AI Servo and center point focus.

I was not expecting much from the camera because I shot with the 5D Classic at basketball and know how it performed. I just wanted to see what the 6D could do.

To my surprise it handled the game very well. The gym is decently lit and ran ISO 3200-4000, on Manual. I had a few out of focus shots probably my fault and practiced timing my shots. It's by no means a sports camera and I know that. just wanted to do quick test. This camera will shoot sports, just a lot slower and with good timing you can get some great shots.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
sharp45
• •
p.2 #10 · 6D AF tests anyone?

A couple of shots with my 6D

iso 8000

iso 4000

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wbee08

p.2 #11 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Great shots! I can't believe that first one at ISO 8000, wow! this camera really shines at the higher ISO's.

I'm assuming you were using the 300 2.8 for football shot.

That basketball shot is so crisp and clear- what lens were you using here?

Any noise reduction in PP

Wesley

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:12 PM
bipock
• • •
p.2 #12 · 6D AF tests anyone?

In basic use of mine, I haven't found any issues with focusing on any points. Tried some shots of my daughter lit only by her Christmas tree and it did fine when focused on the lit areas of her skin. Struggled on the shadowy areas which is to be expected. Also used it to capture some pictures of her swinging from straight on, which is much tougher than you would think. No issues with tracking there.

Used for a couple sessions of BIFs for fun and it did fine.

There's more tuning inside the AF customs than I think most people realize. You just to tinker with it and get a fill for it. I have no complaints.

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:53 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.2 #13 · 6D AF tests anyone?

have to use center point or all points, single outer points are no good unless the light is good and the subject isnt moving much. I wish Canon would have at least put a good cross type point on the four corners.

Dec 18, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I don't shoot sports or running rug rats--nobody buys a 6D for that--but I'd be hard pressed otherwise to find anything my 6D couldn't lock focus on. I'm mostly a twilight shooter so I rarely shoot in bright light. Save for really dim light I can barely see in, the outer points usually work fine and I don't have to baby them nearly as much as my 5D2. However, the center point is amazing and locks accurately in just about any situation and certainly bests my 7D, 5D2, 3 and 60D.

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Gochugogi wrote:
I don't shoot sports or running rug rats--nobody buys a 6D for that--but I'd be hard pressed otherwise to find anything my 6D couldn't lock focus on. I'm mostly a twilight shooter so I rarely shoot in bright light. Save for really dim light I can barely see in, the outer points usually work fine and I don't have to baby them nearly as much as my 5D2. However, the center point is amazing and locks accurately in just about any situation and certainly bests my 7D, 5D2, 3 and 60D.

+1

I use the 6D and Fujifilm X-series cameras for low light, intimate ceremonies. The 6D centre-point AF is dynamite! I'm going to get a second one after Christmas.

I use 1DX and 1DIV for sports and wildlife, but I usually have the 6D hanging around nearby with a wide angle lens, just in case.

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:37 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #16 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Some of us mere mortals do dream of a single camera body that will do all we want though

In the summer months I'm happy with my 1Ds2 and 7D setup. Now that it's dark and dingy though, and I have to break out the flash, I start lusting after better low light performance! I use outer points a lot, and that's what holds me back from the 6D. The 5D3 is likely my next camera, but I am tempted to sell it all and pick up a D800. It's a bad time of year for me and I get itchy feet! I've also been considering a 1D4...

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:45 PM
bipock
• • •
p.2 #17 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Gochugogi wrote:
I don't shoot sports or running rug rats--nobody buys a 6D for that

I specifically went FF for pics of my daughter and specifically chose the 6d. The camera can track only as good as the person controlling it can.

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · 6D AF tests anyone?

bipock wrote:
...The camera can track only as good as the person controlling it can.

Amen, brother.

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:38 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.2 #19 · 6D AF tests anyone?

If you shoot primarily landscapes and portraits, I'd give the 6d a go. I had the 6D and now have the 5dIII. I've also had the 1dIII. The center point on the 6D really really good. What makes the 6d's center point way better than previous prosumer cameras (5dII etc.) is not necessarily better autofocus, but the -3 EV sensitivity. You can focus on pretty much anything you can see with your naked eye. It's better than the 5dIII for that. I shot eagles in flight with the 6d, center point only, and had great success as long as I did my part and kept the center point on target. The 1dIII's autofocus was definitely better, and the 5dIII's is better yet, but the 6d is no slouch at all.

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Rytr
• •
p.2 #20 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I normally (almost always) use my 1DMkIII for BIF however I have occasionally used my 6D or 70D. The reason is that it is difficult to beat the 1DMkIII but I do not hesitate to use either of the other two if handy.
The photo of the Hummer is the first I came across...I don't have my pics sorted by camera.
I generally use center point for focus on the 1DMkIII so using the 6D is really no change other than not locking on as fast as the 1DMkIII.

Rytr 2013

Canon EOS 6D    EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    229mm    f/7.1    1/500s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password