Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Lethal_weapon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Many great reviews on the 6D IQ and Low light sensitivity but not much (as much as I would like) on the AF system.
Everyone says its no comparison to the 5DMKIII which was as good as the 1D MKIV (which I had and loved....) but is it good enough for some BIF shooting and sports (Paddling)
I am becoming more of a landscape and portrait shooter (when I am on vacations mostly..:-) and would like to bring just ONE camera that will do it all for me
I like the lighter weight and GPS abilities of the 6D though I do not want a camera with minor improvements over a 5D MKII which I already own (for now...)
Anyone have any pics of sports (something moving...) or BIFs with the 6D to show?
I guess I could go for the 5D MKIII but I think it would be overkill...

thanks

Ben

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:25 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I've tried to shoot some BIF (with my puny skills) but there wasnt much flying..

Will try again... Seemed a little slow to gain initial lock (vs 7d, centre point) but tracked ok.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:34 PM
watson83

p.1 #3 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I tested it. The center point was good all around but I struggled with any of the other points. This makes sense as only the center point is cross type. I also have the 5D mark III. I did a test in the review of the 6D which is on my website: http://learningcameras.com/reviews/4-dslrs/91-canon-6d-review

Basically, it's not that the focus system is bad. It's that the camera only has 1 good focus point. The rest were hit and miss for me. If the contrast was good and the lighting was good, I had no issues from all 11 points. But any low contrast objects or bad or low lighting and the other points fell apart.

I also had a comparison with the 5D3 you may check out. If you are coming from the 5D2, I think there are things that will bother you with the 6D. You can find the 5D3 now on sale under $3000 too.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:35 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 6D AF tests anyone?

From what I hear; see the other 6D topics/threads in this forum, the center AF point is quite good, the outer points not so much. Check out Youtube, you will find a few very subjective reviews of the AF system. Below are three videos I found interesting...

Nikon D600 Vs Canon 6D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCds3OEAwsI

Canon 6D Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r60yqmkjeNk

Nikon D600 Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FGu2WDvJY

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:39 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Lethal_weapon wrote:
would like to bring just ONE camera that will do it all for me

In canon land, the ideal camera for that is 5D III.

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #6 · 6D AF tests anyone?

thanks for the lead on that Awesome Review on the 6D Stillfingerz

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #7 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Thanks guys....looks like its the 5D MKIII for me.....if I never owned the MKIV I would have settled for the 6D and been happy....:-P

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I tried it out in Best BUy. Outer points were not very good. The building was well lit and I was trying to lock onto edges with a bunch of contrast....it struggled. D600 on the other hand was spot on. Unfortunately this is what is holding me back and having me consider the D600

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #9 · 6D AF tests anyone?

The 6D cannot compete with the 1D3 and 1D2's in my collection as far as AF performance is concerned overall, so I'll be keeping my 1D3 for the foreseeable future.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #10 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Michaelparris wrote:
I tried it out in Best BUy. Outer points were not very good. The building was well lit and I was trying to lock onto edges with a bunch of contrast....it struggled. D600 on the other hand was spot on. Unfortunately this is what is holding me back and having me consider the D600

Definitely different from my experience with my 6D. I posted this a while back in this thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171545/1

I tested the outer focus points in extreme conditions. I tried to focus at areas that have very very low contrast in very low light. In both situations, I'm pretty sure it's much much dimmer than Best Buy.

Picture 1: Rightmost focus point at the plain blue area of the restroom sign (to the right of the lady figure).

Picture 2: One of the outer focus point at the reflection of the big white grille of the windows on an LCD screen. It was after midnight. Outside was completely dark and the room was very dim.

One thing for sure is my old 5D2's would never be able to pick up focus in these situations.

I own both 5D3 and 6D. It's true that there is no comparison of these two AF systems, but I don't think 6D is bad. In fact, after using it for over a moth, I'm pretty happy with it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #11 · 6D AF tests anyone?

Wahoowa wrote:
Picture 1: Rightmost focus point at the plain blue area of the restroom sign (to the right of the lady figure).

Picture 2: One of the outer focus point at the reflection of the big white grille of the windows on an LCD screen. It was after midnight. Outside was completely dark and the room was very dim.

One thing for sure is my old 5D2's would never be able to pick up focus in these situations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it I can't really find anything in focus in picture 2.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 6D AF tests anyone?

ciprian.trofin wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it I can't really find anything in focus in picture 2.

That's what I was thinking also

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:56 AM
tshore
• •
p.1 #13 · 6D AF tests anyone?

I recently bought a 6D, to complement my 7D, which I have used a lot for shooting youth sports and birds. The primary purpose for the 6D is landscape/portrait. I view is as a complement rather than a replacement for the 7D.

That said, I took it to shoot a CYO basketball game in the worst-lit gym in Marin County to see how it compared to the 7D. I was favorably impressed. Grandted, the overall operating speed of the camera was pokey compared to the 7D, both in terms of frame rate and speed writing to the card. I would not choose the 6D if shooting sports were my main use for the body.

But the AF worked flawlessley, using the center point, which is what I always used on the 7D for this purpose. The high ISO performance (ISO 6400) was probably about a stop to a stop and a half cleaner than the 7D. Being able to use ISO 6400 and get acceptably clean images enabled me to use my 70-200 f/2.8 in this gym, which focuses brilliantly, rather than my 50mm 1.4, which was my primary tool on the 7D in these situations, which was okay, but slower to focus and where the narrow DOF at wide apertures left less margin for focus error.

I found the biggest challenge was keeping the focus point on the subject. The selected focus point is not as clearly prior to the shutter being depressed as it is in the 7D, so it was easy to lose track of where the focus point was, exactly.

The overall keeper rate and image quality with the 7D and the 70-200 was measurably better than I had been able to get on the 7D, either with the 70-200 (too noisy) or the 50mm (limiting and unforgiving).

In sum, if you are considering this body as an occasional indoor action tool, while it's not a perfect body for that purpose, I think you will find its AF more than acceptable

Canon EOS 6D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/2.8    1/400s    6400 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:37 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 6D AF tests anyone?

tshore wrote:
I recently bought a 6D, to complement my 7D, which I have used a lot for shooting youth sports and birds. The primary purpose for the 6D is landscape/portrait. I view is as a complement rather than a replacement for the 7D.

That said, I took it to shoot a CYO basketball game in the worst-lit gym in Marin County to see how it compared to the 7D. I was favorably impressed. Grandted, the overall operating speed of the camera was pokey compared to the 7D, both in terms of frame rate and speed writing to the card. I would not
...Show more

Good to hear....I will be using it with that exact same lens

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #15 · 6D AF tests anyone?

ciprian.trofin wrote:

It's a reflection on an LCD screen after midnight in a very dim room . The picture appears to be how I saw it at the time. You ain't going to find anything sharp out of the reflection, but I can assure you it's in focus and the camera was able to pick it up.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:52 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #16 · 6D AF tests anyone?

By "reflection" you mean the blown highlight on top of image ?

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #17 · 6D AF tests anyone?

ciprian.trofin wrote:
By "reflection" you mean the blown highlight on top of image ?

Everything in that picture was on the LCD screen. I was trying to point out the extreme conditions that I tried to use my 6D to focus and it did pick up. Basically, I wanted to see how much better the outer points did compared to my old 5D2. What's yours?

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:39 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #18 · 6D AF tests anyone?

What's my ... what ?

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:49 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #19 · 6D AF tests anyone?

ciprian.trofin wrote: