Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

TTLKurtis wrote:
I retract my previous statement... this looks pretty snazzy if I can customize it enough... Hm.

Much more customizable than zenfolio.

Even scott kelby has started using it for his portfolio page (pure customized smugmug)
http://portfolio.scottkelby.com/

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

SloPhoto wrote:
Much more customizable than zenfolio.

Even scott kelby has started using it for his portfolio page (pure customized smugmug)
http://portfolio.scottkelby.com/

Here's the problem I'm seeing with SmugMug at the moment... are you not able to self-fulfill? I generally make recommendations once someone makes an order, for one thing. Can I approve an order before it's submitted?

And how about minimum order amount?

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

To answer your question Kurtis there is a hold period before the order gets sent to the lab for you to review and even replace the image with an edited one or whatever.

There is no minimum order amount unless you set it.

The learning curve is a bit steep but once you get it dialed in it is pretty sweet.

I like Smugmug and the fact that it is full rez files you upload. I'm using it as another off site storage solution.

Jason

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

How do you set the minimum order amt. I don't see any option for that. Also, is it just me or is the top option super expensive if you want to be able to do stuff like coupons? And heart'ing favorites? And what are the 'event marketing tools'

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

TTLKurtis wrote:
Here's the problem I'm seeing with SmugMug at the moment... are you not able to self-fulfill? I generally make recommendations once someone makes an order, for one thing. Can I approve an order before it's submitted?

And how about minimum order amount?

You cannot self-fulfill. Like the last poster said you can hold an order for a specified number of days before going to print. Default is no hold, you specify it in your settings. When you want to get your money from sales they have a once-a-month only payment schedule. So if you want payments on the 9th, you'd have to wait until like the 8th of the next month to get the money. The ordering process is good. I use Bay Photo and have been really impressed by quality and service.

Kurtis - one thing you specifically should know is that in Texas they automatically figure, collect and pay the sales tax on your orders and there is no option for Texas photographers to change that. According to an email they sent out if you are a Texas photographer they ignore any info that you enter into the sales tax collection part of your settings and do it all themselves. I'm really not sure how that works as far as if they report it in your name or theirs honestly the whole deal kind of makes me nervous. They just started that in the last six months or so. I keep meaning to call the comptrollers office and discuss this with them but I keep forgetting during business hours. Now my taxes are almost due. I talked to smugmug support about it the first time they collected taxes for me just trying to understand it and it was kind of a hassle to get on the same page IMO. They always brag about their "Heroes" but I haven't been quite as impressed with their support as they are. They do get back to you quickly but it seems like it has always been a bit of an effort to get on the same page.

It has gotten too expensive compared to other options - that's why I'm looking elsewhere right now.

brad

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

TTLKurtis wrote:
How do you set the minimum order amt. I don't see any option for that. Also, is it just me or is the top option super expensive if you want to be able to do stuff like coupons? And heart'ing favorites? And what are the 'event marketing tools'

Instead of hearts there are thumbs up and thumbs down. I haven't used the event marketing tools (it's a new feature) but here's this:
http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/886707-the-most-important-pro-feature-for-your-business-is-

brad

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

I saw the thumbs up and thumbs down but the problem is I don't see where it lets the client then VIEW or SHARE those thumbs-up'ed items.

Zenfolio isn't perfect, but I'm feeling like it's the better fit.

As for the 'event marketing' thing, okay yeah... I have that with my $100 Zenfolio...

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:19 AM
RSpears

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

I use Zenfolio, and I've had fairly good luck with it. The customer support is very good the few times I've used it. I wish it were easier to customize though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:36 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
Yes. Smugmug is bested by RAWfolio, but definitely not Zen.

Um, RAWfolio doesn't have proofing yet, so what do you mean? Though, proofing is coming eventually.
-Lincoln

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:03 AM
g-money
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

Am I the only one that uses Instaproofs. I have been with them for years now and they are in a word awesome to deal with. They are continually improving things and still know what customer service is about. If you know a little css you can customize it to fit right into your site or go with their out of the box offering. No I am not affiliated with them in anyway other than a happy client.

I researched and almost went with the install your own shopping cart software but didn't won't the hassle of managing it in case something went down.

Greg

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

What about a self hosted solution?

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

TheGE wrote:
What about a self hosted solution?

That was one I was interested in too - looking at photo cart. Trying to solicit opinions about it but no one has answered my thread in pro digital corner forum.

brad

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

g-money wrote:
Am I the only one that uses Instaproofs. I have been with them for years now and they are in a word awesome to deal with.

Can you do coupons through them? I don't see any mention of it on their website. Can customers pay directly with credit card?

brad

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

@ digmetx: I use Instaproofs from time to time. And yes to both questions: You can make certain coupons and clients pay directly to them via credit card.

Photo Cart is popular. Have you looked into Proofbuddy?

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

Having extensive experience with SmugMug both as a user for 4 years, and a customer from other photographers, I think their UI is the absolute best both from a user and a customer perspective.

Pictage is annoying as all get out. I find their proofing to be slow loading, and not pleasing to the eye. The few times I've toyed with Zenfolio, I've found the same.

Also, SmugMug has countless times, time and again, taken care of me. They're super easy to get a hold of, quick to fix issues and investigate, and they've changed for the better over the past 3-4 years, especially over the past year.

Then they announced a price hike a few months ago, I posted on their wall thanking them for their service to the industry, their passion for photography (and not just taking peoples' money), and a few days later I had a personal, hand-written thank you note in my mailbox from the screw at SmugMug. Who does that these days? They do.

I'm a happy customer, and will continue to be one.

SmugMug has:

-Galleries and subgalleries (ie. Wedding --> Josh and Dana Wedding)
-1x1 or image size thumbnails
-Coupons
-Income tracking
-Auto-payments after $500 of sales (or you can request it earlier)
-Printing through Bay Photo, EZ Prints and WHCC
-Super easy to use interface (customer and user)
-Customizeable (galleries and slideshows, etc.)
-Crazy good customer service
-Unlimited storage

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

I use Zenfolio, it seems to work great and pays for itself.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

We have used about every company out there over the years. Well, the big ones at least

I use zenfolio now and love them. We are actually downgrading our account this year at renewal time and only using them for ordering prints ourself and for a backup of final images. In the last 2 years, after wedding sales has declined so much. Really it is only the bride and groom ordering and maybe a guest or 2. So why spend the money when we can save it and just use the $60 account as a backup.

A few years ago we purchased photo cart version 4. Version 7 came out and I got the email for it. What is awesome, I got to upgrade for free You host it yourself and fulfill the orders yourself. Since we are only placing orders for the bride and groom and maybe a guest or 2, it really doesnt take much time.

Check it out.

Picturespro.com

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:56 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

nick - How's the UI for Photo cart 7?

brad

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:36 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

awesome i love it. check out their demo on their site. you can demo the backend and front end.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:36 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best Proofing Site? Help me decide.

Zenfolio is a good option

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:42 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.