New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

I've been using this combo with excellent results for the past few months, then suddenly, on the morning of Day 2 of a 4 day birding trip, and without warning, the dreaded fEE pops up and thats that (no AF or MF as the camera just doesn't recognise the lens). I tried a Zeiss 21mm and that was the same, fEE, though weirdly when trying a Zeiss 35mm it recognised it !

It wasn't the contacts (cleaned a hundred times) and the aperture ring was fixed at f22 and locked into place (and I unlocked, twisted and re-locked it a dozen times to no response).

Anyone else had this problem or know what the issue is ? I'm off to NZ in 4 weeks and now I'm desperate !

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:09 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

Check the mount on the lenses to see if they are tight. I had this issue with a 120-300 Sigma. The ring was turned all the way to f22 and still fEE. I then took the camera off and noticed that the lens mount was lose on the back of the lens. Tightened the three screws and good to go again.

Trevor

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

Trevorma wrote:
Check the mount on the lenses to see if they are tight. I had this issue with a 120-300 Sigma. The ring was turned all the way to f22 and still fEE. I then took the camera off and noticed that the lens mount was lose on the back of the lens. Tightened the three screws and good to go again.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor - yes I did look at that, no looseness was evident.

The Sigma 500 and Zeiss 21 were not recognised by the D800, the Zeiss 35 and Nikon 85/1.8 were.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

See if the levers and sensors in the camera mount move freely or stick. As I recall one lever senses the lens and the other actuates the aperture. Some of my Nikons got sticky apterture sensors or actuators (I forget which). I don't know if the "at minimum aperture" signal is electronic, mechanical, or both. If mechanical, one of those levers could be sticky.

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:53 AM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

goto your camera setting and change it to use aperture ring to change aperture other then the command dial, this should help you narrow down what is functioning and not. possibly something is wrong with the aperture thing on the camera body that moves when you attach the lens to know where the aperture is set.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
See if the levers and sensors in the camera mount move freely or stick. As I recall one lever senses the lens and the other actuates the aperture. Some of my Nikons got sticky apterture sensors or actuators (I forget which). I don't know if the "at minimum aperture" signal is electronic, mechanical, or both. If mechanical, one of those levers could be sticky.

Thanks for the idea Vox. Everything moving as it should.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

matthewo wrote:
goto your camera setting and change it to use aperture ring to change aperture other then the command dial, this should help you narrow down what is functioning and not. possibly something is wrong with the aperture thing on the camera body that moves when you attach the lens to know where the aperture is set.

Possibly - strange that it works with two lenses (one non-Nikon and MF) and doesn't with two others. I've now dropped it off at the shop where I bought it for them to get it checked it.

Thanks for all the suggestions !

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 & Sigma 500mm issue

The shop found the issue and after just 24 hours I now have my D800 back in sound and working order.

I have seen this once or twice on the internet but don't have the pieces to show you ... the contacts had broken/split and needed to be replaced.

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:37 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.