3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · D800 Does Birds

KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D800 Does Birds

Thomas Sanders wrote:
Oh these do look sweet buddy
#2 Teal is to die for Kirk and that is an amazing image of the Buffy at that steep a crop
Perfect exposure of the Scoter
Peep detail is amazing!!!!!!!!!

Grats my friend, you scored a fantastic copy of that body

Tom

Hey Tom, many thanks for the gracious words buddy. Very pleased with the initial impression of this body... coming from the frustration of way too many OOF images due to the slow and unreliable focus acquisition and tracking of my D300 setup. Can't wait to get some FF opportunities in good light with this baby.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:08 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D800 Does Birds

Karl Witt wrote:
There are those that have 'the gear' and are not up to extracting the quality of images the gear offers and there are those that have the talent, dedication and eye for getting all that is put in front of them with the right gear..................................
Guess where you fit in The IQ is scary good Kirk and just what you have earned over the years, you are certainly 100% worthy of this new body my friend!

It is apparent that this body pulls in the detail as well as
...Show more

Wow Karl, you are way too kind but I sure appreciate the wonderful compliment my friend, it means a lot. I continue to learn and grow everyday from the wealth of talent on this forum, very grateful for your willingness to help others become better.

As already stated, I'm very excited in seeing the potential of this body... I can't wait to get some FF opportunities in good light.

Please keep pushing me, you see things that most don't look for... don't be shy my friend, I really want your critical feedback.

Thanks again,
Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:24 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D800 Does Birds

Congrats on the new rig Kirk. The results speak for themselves - these images are fantastic!
David

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D800 Does Birds

Congrats Kirk on your new camera and wishing you wonderful years of photography with it.
I have always admired your ability to get such fantastic pics with the 300 and tc and no doubt you will continue with even better ones with the new camera.
This is a great set and I particularly like the colors on the first two.
Martin

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D800 Does Birds

Congrats on your new D800, Kirk! These look great. Beautiful clean files and you controlled the light masterfully Colors are very pleasing and detail are super sharply clean
Socrate

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:40 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D800 Does Birds

I love the camera that you have. More importantly, I think you have made use of the light really perfectly.

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 03:18 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:40 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D800 Does Birds

Nice work Kirk, I'm right in the boat with ya on the D800.
Douglas

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:43 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D800 Does Birds

Pretty! Love colorful quackers captured flying!

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:18 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D800 Does Birds

very nice Kirk .. congrats on the new body

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:29 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D800 Does Birds

harshaj1 wrote:
Fantastic shots Kirk. Love the first two. IQ is amazing
D800 became my main camera and my D3 is the back up. .
Congrats.
Harsha

Thanks for the very kind words Harsha, and thank you so much for your valuable assessment of your experience with the D800, it was most helpful. I'm very excited about the potential of this camera.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:07 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D800 Does Birds

marklankton wrote:
Looks like it's working out OK for you, Kirk. Can't wait to see more.
Mark

It's working out great so far Mark, I'll do my best to maximize the D800's capabilities.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:09 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D800 Does Birds

baileyjmad wrote:
Your Cinnamom Teal pics are sweet!
John

Thanks John. The CT flyby was right after I got to this spot, when my new setup acquired and tracked it perfectly I was elated to say the least.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:12 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D800 Does Birds

Rob Tillyer wrote:
Looking really good Kirk, have fun with the new toy. I'll watch for you over on the landscape forum.

Rob

Most appreciated Rob, permagrin has definitely set in.
I'm just as excited to start doing some serious landscape photography again.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:14 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D800 Does Birds

birdied wrote:
Fantastic set Kirk !! Love them all. Congratulations on the new camera !
I sold my D300 about a year after getting the D7000. Now I am waiting for the D7000 upgrade or the D400. Really want better A/F and low light capability.

Seeing yours and Wills shots with the D800 , well makes me want to get one. Just concerned it is more camera than I am ready for .

Birdie

Hi Birdie, Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed the first set with my new toy.

I want to assure you that the D800 is not more camera than you are ready for, the D300 and D7000 have prepared you well. If you can shoot those well, and you definitely do, then the transition to the D800 will be very easy. I promise. The difference in focus acquisition and tracking even with the 1.4 TC between the D300 & D800 is dramatic. With the D300 it was 50/50 in my experience which quite frustrating at times, during my first outing with the D800 I only experienced a delayed/missed acquisition 2 or 3 times all day.

I really didn't intend on getting a D800 until Adorama offered the factory refurbs for $2,299... I just couldn't pass on the value. I think you would do really well with this body if it fits your budget, and I know your 500 would love the D800. The only drawback is 4 FPS in FX and that might be a deal breaker.

PM me with any other questions.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D800 Does Birds

WOW I'm holding out till the end of the month for the D400 but I'm impressed. Nice job Kirk. Ed

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:07 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D800 Does Birds

These are great d800 definitely is appealing as an "all around" camera

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:05 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D800 Does Birds

David Leask wrote:
Congrats on the new rig Kirk. The results speak for themselves - these images are fantastic!
David

Thanks a million David, really appreciate your gracious words.

Kirk

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D800 Does Birds

Martin Good wrote:
Congrats Kirk on your new camera and wishing you wonderful years of photography with it.
I have always admired your ability to get such fantastic pics with the 300 and tc and no doubt you will continue with even better ones with the new camera.
This is a great set and I particularly like the colors on the first two.
Martin

What a wonderful compliment Martin, thank you so much my friend.
After just one outing I'm so excited about what this camera is capable of, it's going to be so much fun.

Kirk

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D800 Does Birds

Shasoc wrote:
Congrats on your new D800, Kirk! These look great. Beautiful clean files and you controlled the light masterfully Colors are very pleasing and detail are super sharply clean
Socrate

Your gracious words are much appreciated Socrate, so glad you enjoyed my first set with the D800. Initial impression is that it's a very capable tool that I hope to use to its fullest extent. I still can't believe these are all crops from the already DX crop mode. I can't wait to get some FF opportunities in really good light.

Kirk

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D800 Does Birds

sozypozy wrote:
I love the camera that you have. More importantly, I think you have made use of the light really perfectly.

I love it too.
Thanks so much for the very kind words.

Kirk

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.