Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

RonR
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

Greetinigs,
I supplied a client who has a new iPad Mini with a portfolio of 40 images.
I found that the resolution of the iPad Mini is 1024 X 768 at 163PPI
I sized all of the photos to that specification in Photoshop. I got the following message from my client:

"when i moved these photos over to my photo stream from drop box they became very low quality. any suggestions?"

I remember that there was some work around for the full size iPad 1 & 2 for crystal clear photo presentation.
Can you help?
Thank you !!
Ron

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:38 AM
RonR
• • •
p.1 #2 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

Anyone have iPad photo experience?

Thank you for your consideration! Much appreciated....Ron

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:56 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

The Portfolio app for iPad is what I use. I could not see, at a glance, if iPad Mini is supported.

http://ipadportfolioapp.com

Image clarity is good. I load all image content to the iPad through the Portfolio app, using wifi access. So long as the images looked good leaving Lightroom, are well sized, and in sRBG color space - I have had no surprises displaying image content on my iPad. I refer here to iPad version 3, full size iPad.

John-

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:23 PM
RonR
• • •
p.1 #4 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

John,
Thank you for your suggestion on the portfolio app. I will have my client give that a try. Much appreciated !
Best Regards,
Ron

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

It's Dropbox. For some reason, Dropbox performs massive compression on photos when transferring them to a device other than a desktop machine. It's really annoying. One of the reasons I switched to Box.net (the free 50GB I got a while back helped too).

I just sync my portfolio through my computer and iTunes, and the images look fantastic on my iPad mini. (Well, the mini display looks good except that the green saturation is lower than expected, but I can deal with that.) Reading reviews of the Portfolio app mentioned above, it seems that the Dropbox integration likely has the same issue...massive compression from Dropbox. I'm amazed Dropbox hasn't fixed this yet, it's been a problem for a long time.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM
John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #6 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

Jman13 wrote:
...Dropbox performs massive compression on photos when transferring them to a device other than a desktop machine...

Going from Dropbox to the iPad3, by way of the Portfolio app, I'm not observing compression artifacts. Can you say more about this, how the problem will manifest, and how this is a well known problem? I am not saying you are incorrect; just saying I can't identify this compression and suspect that if this was the original poster's problem of images that look completely wrong on the iPad, Portfolio users would be complaining about this.

John Caldwell

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Need Help: iPad Mini Displays Photos Poorly

I don't use Portfolio, but if you look at the reviews in the app store there are complaints of low quality on import, which I'm assuming is from the same issue with Dropbox. Not sure, but I thought I'd mention it before someone drops $12.99 on an app that may potentially have the same issues. If it works fine, then disregard.

Dropbox for a long time (they just did an update a day or two ago, and I haven't re-checked) for some reason would only save a low-res and highly compressed version of a photo when you transferred it to an iOS device via the app. It's very annoying, and I think it's very likely this is what the OP is seeing.

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password