New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Focusing on the eyes

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focusing on the eyes

I see a lot of great photos on here with great detail in the eyes of the subject where the eyes make the picture absolutely stunning. Is there any technique to this besides focusing on the eyes. A certain f-stop, Manual focus? Or is it just a bit of Post Processing to enhance the eyes. I have a Canon 7D and a 50mm f/1.8 and a 430EX. How could I do it with this setup?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM
mbpautz762
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focusing on the eyes

I would say a properly focus calibrated lens helps tremendously. Single point autofocus on the eyes is really all there is to it, but a calibrated lens will make the focus dead on. F-stop just depends on what depth of field you're wanting. as long as it's focused on the eyes, you'll be golden, but people usually prefer the rest of the face (IE nose) being in focus too. I like the look of a 70-200 at 100mm or so at f/4, but it also depends how far away from the subject you are.

really, the stunning photos I see on this board are due to an incredible eye for composition, proper lighting, and a beautiful subject
For these photographers, the settings are of secondary concern

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focusing on the eyes

Good light, perfect focus. That's about it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focusing on the eyes

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
Good light, perfect focus. That's about it.

I always assumed your portraits had some retouch in the eyes -- they always pop!

I occasionally use some tricks to add in iris detail where there isn't enough, but it's... effort-intensive. I often don't care enough.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focusing on the eyes

RE light: it helps to get some light in the eyes, either by positioning the subject, having them lift their chin, using a reflector etc. Eye sockets can easily be in dark shadow if you're not careful (eg bounce flash off the ceiling etc)

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:21 AM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focusing on the eyes

Gome, proper focus and light - I can only underline that fact. Getting the proper focus is not really that hard, try to learn as much as you can about proper lighting though and enjoy experimenting with different setups. If you have only one flash (you maybe want more) use a combination of natural light and flash light too - use softboxes or other modifiers that create a diffuse soft light (e.g. bounce the light off the wall, through a t-shirt, ...). Light and shadow are the keys to a good portrait in my opinion.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focusing on the eyes

Avoid light above the head such as middle of the day if outside. You want the light facing the subject and at a slight angle down towards them. Window or doorway light is good because the roof covers and blocks the overhead light allowing facing light to hit the subject. This prevents dark eye sockets and brings light into the eyes. I never use a 50mm for portraits but it should work. I copy mbpautz762 using the 70-200 but my ideal spot is f5 vs his f4.0. All goes to personal style choices. Same reason as he mentioned to keep the nose and front of face in focus. I like my clients ears to be a touch soft but not too soft as to stand out. I hate the nose or chin to look soft. Makes me dizzy trying to focus when viewing the photo.
Must spot focus on the eyes closest to the camera.
I almost never do any special processing on the eyes while 100% of my images have a lot of processing done everywhere else. Maybe 5% have something odd going on such as red spots that need to be reduced or even hair that needs to be removed to allow 100% eye contact. I hate a single strand blocking the eye. Drives me nuts.
Great eyes are really a mix of camera angles, face angle ( both affected by lens choice) and of course lighting.

Make-up
Good make-up will help assuming you have all the other factors (light,focus,lens,angles) done right. This video will show you what I am talking about.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.