Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

silentwings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

Previously I didn't use any gels during reception, which normally brought out some orange background colors. I can't say I don't like them, but sometimes I really wanted to tone them down a bit. So I used 1/2 CTS gel then. I heard some people preferred to use CTO or 1/2 CTO to get more tanned skin tones, but I am not quite sure how much difference between CTO and CTS gels that are same in the temperature degree. I am using Honl strap to attach the gels at the moment, and really curious about what you guys prefer to use to get more pleasing skin tones at the same time correcting the background colors.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:50 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

What the heck is CTS?

I use CTO.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:56 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

TTLKurtis wrote:
What the heck is CTS?

I use CTO.

+1 to both.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:09 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

CTS = Color Temperature Straw

Not sure if I have ever used of someone using it for tungsten matching.

I used to use rosco 1/4 CTO stacked 1-3 high, but got the nikon orange hard gells to try out. They sure are easier, but I am not sure if I like the colors I am getting.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

CTO here

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

I don't have the CTS gels to compare. I've used CTO and the Nikon plastic gels for the SB-900/910. Agree with Slo that the plastic gels are vastly easier, but they may be a bit too strong. Or too something.

I think Hobby talks about the CTS gels every so often, and I've considered picking some up to see whether I like the colors better, but I'm not sure whether it's just splitting hairs.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

A thread from the FM archives talking about using CTS vs CTO
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/876695

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Marici Photo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

Interesting.. does anyone have both? Please post pics

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

Most people who try CTS usually like it better than CTO. I still use CTO, but have never tried CTS. CTS is basically just a tad more pastel in it's "warmth" on the subject. The bottom line is what you want to accomplish with the "ambient" temperature in the end. It's a given we all want typically the same results on the flesh.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:09 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

I used to CTO, tried CTS and stuck with it. There's just a little less red to it.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:18 PM
johnkiv

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What gels do you prefer to use during reception on the flash? CTO or CTS?

I just started working with CTS filters in the last year. I've found them closer to warm compact florescent and warm tube florescent bulbs than anything else available of the shelf. Not perfect, but better, sometimes really good.

I came back to this thread because lately I've been getting some really ugly light balance with my Canon 5DIII in mixed light with warm florescent combined with window light. (ISO is up to 800+.) The available light regions have a cast that seems impossible to make pleasing even if you ignore what the window light looks like. I scrapped them all, I may be expecting digital to rescue a bad combination, not enough light in the low tones to bring anything out. I will be back to the location and will try some unfiltered fill flash to see if it can clean it up. A nasty overcast day probably did not help.

I sometimes think the 5DII generally did a better job on pleasing color out of the camera. Don't want to go back, however. This may be the wrong forum to post this addendum. But I find the this forum to be the most useful for 5D users working fast and light on location. I work on college campuses, which often looks a lot like a wedding.

Thanks for any comments.

John

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.