Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · EOS count

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · EOS count

Will EOS Count ever give erroneous counts?

Thanks

Rod

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · EOS count

Hi Rod,

It gave what I thought were reasonable counts for my 1DIV and 5DII, but that's all I can say about it.

Jim

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · EOS count

I sold a 1DIV that I swear had about 6K on the shutter. The buyer called and said he checked and it had about 20K. The first thing I did was to offer him a full refund and pay for shipping. He declined, he said the camera is in like new condition, at least I had that right
I'm sending him a $100.00 refund because of the shutter count.
It's making me sick to my stomach selling something and it not be what I represented.
I have another 1DMIV for sale and I can't get EOS Count to work. I've tried two different debit cards and two different credit cards and it won't take my money. I'm uneasy about selling the second one until I can get and accurate shutter count.

Rod

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · EOS count

I had a similar experience with a Contax Planar 85/1.4 that I sold last month. I described it as near mint, but there was some kind of small hole in the base of the mount that I didn't see, as I didn't remove the EOS adapter. Same result; I offered full refund incl. shipping, he took $110 refund.

I guess the only way to get a reliable count on your current 1DIV is through Canon.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #5 · EOS count

Only thru Canon. That's sad.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · EOS count

Perhaps it is not sad. Perhaps it is an attempt to prevent easy hacking so cameras with 8,000,000 actuations aren't sold with 6214.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:23 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · EOS count

Paul Mo wrote:
Perhaps it is not sad. Perhaps it is an attempt to prevent easy hacking so cameras with 8,000,000 actuations aren't sold with 6214.

?

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · EOS count

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · EOS count

Paul Mo wrote:

Ditto.

Plus the seller is under no obligation to provide an accurate count. Reputable camera dealers sell used Canons all the time without providing shutter actuations.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:39 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #10 · EOS count

Imagemaster wrote:
Plus the seller is under no obligation to provide an accurate count. Reputable camera dealers sell used Canons all the time without providing shutter actuations.

not an obligation but if asked the seller should provide a true shutter count or if a shutter has been replaced

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #11 · EOS count

I gave me what I thought I had on my MKIV as well.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · EOS count

When I sold my 1DIII and 1DsIII, I estimated how many photos each had taken. If somebody asked for an exact count, I would have told them, "sure, if you pay for the service call". I agree that you should disclose a shutter replacement, which is actually a bonus for the buyer.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:05 PM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #13 · EOS count

CW100 wrote:
not an obligation but if asked the seller should provide a true shutter count or if a shutter has been replaced

What is a 'true' shutter count?
Only Canon can tell you that.
Would you send a body off to Canon at the request of a buyer who may not actually buy?

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:23 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #14 · EOS count

All of the 'count reading' programs give different results. Partly it's what they read: it can be shutter clicks, saved images, shutter button presses, any of several things.

One thing people don't think about much these days is how much use a camera can have without clicks. I have a 5DII, two years old, used for maybe 3,000 hours for video with hot pixels all over the place, repaired CF pins, duct tape holding the battery door on, etc. I wouldn't want that camera at any price (nor would I sell it) - it's become a game to us how long until it finally fails. But it has about 10,000 clicks.

In addition, when a camera gets repaired Canon may, or may not, reset some or all of the counts. They're supposed to reset shutter counts, for example, if they replace a shutter. But if they repair a shutter they may or may not. Replacing a main PCB zeros out all the counts and they're added back in after the replacement, but could get mistyped, etc.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password