Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Archive 2013 · Canon 7D pixel density
  
 
Jeff Nolten
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Canon 7D pixel density


gome1122 wrote:
Also you say expose to the right. I generally expose to the left to get a darker image. I also read somewhere that if you have a darker image it is easier to recover some detail. Am I just understanding to the right wrong. I go by the Canon metering and to the right to me has always been brighter.


Ya, that is the trade. Expose to the right (brighter) but don't blow the highlights. I assume you are talking about highlight detail like the cloud texture I like to emphasize in my landscapes. That is the balance. I like to set exposure compensation to -1/3 on my 5Ds but usually start at 0 on the 7D. Others should weigh in on this as well, please.



Jan 15, 2013 at 08:18 PM
RogerC11
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Canon 7D pixel density


gome1122 wrote:
That's what I thought. Would the 1D III be better at high ISO because I will probably get another 7D just so there is no learning curve and crop factor that I would have to switch between. Also you say expose to the right. I generally expose to the left to get a darker image. I also read somewhere that if you have a darker image it is easier to recover some detail. Am I just understanding to the right wrong. I go by the Canon metering and to the right to me has always been brighter.

Thats pretty much the exact opposite technique you want to use with these 18mp sensors. You want to expose brighter and then pull the exposure back down in post. This minimizes noise and gives a better result.



Jan 15, 2013 at 08:19 PM
uz2work
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Canon 7D pixel density


gome1122 wrote:
That's what I thought. Would the 1D III be better at high ISO because I will probably get another 7D just so there is no learning curve and crop factor that I would have to switch between. Also you say expose to the right. I generally expose to the left to get a darker image. I also read somewhere that if you have a darker image it is easier to recover some detail. Am I just understanding to the right wrong. I go by the Canon metering and to the right to me has always been brighter.


A couple of points.

First, if you are trying to recover detail from an under-exposed image, you will be introducing large amounts of noise in doing so. Generally, the best exposure is going to be one that exposes to the right but stays just short of the point where you would be blowing out the highlights because once the highlights are truly blown, they cannot be recovered.

Also note that, even if the 5D Mark III has an advantage over the 7D with regard to noise, that advantage is maintained only if you are able to use the full image from the 5D Mark III. If, however, you are shooting in a focal length-limited situation and you need to crop the 5D Mark III image down to the field of view of a 7D image taken with the same lens from the same distance, virtually all of the noise advantage that the 5D Mark III image started out with will disappear.

Les



Jan 15, 2013 at 08:22 PM
RobDickinson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Canon 7D pixel density


At any ISO if you have shadow areas you push they will look nosier.

If you have brighter areas even at higher ISo they will look cleaner.



Jan 15, 2013 at 08:23 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · Canon 7D pixel density


Jeff Nolten wrote:
Ya, that is the trade. Expose to the right (brighter) but don't blow the highlights. I assume you are talking about highlight detail like the cloud texture I like to emphasize in my landscapes. That is the balance. I like to set exposure compensation to -1/3 on my 5Ds but usually start at 0 on the 7D. Others should weigh in on this as well, please.


Depends on what your shooting, but for BIF work against a clear blue sky I set +1.33EV and against a bright OC sky I'll set +2EV. If you don;'t you will get a lot more noise in the sky and shadow regions of the bird. By exposing like this I can get clean blue skies at ISO 400, even though we have people claiming the 7D can't even get clean skies at ISO 100. AT ISO 800 you only need a tad of NR in PS.



Jan 15, 2013 at 09:46 PM
M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Canon 7D pixel density


7d is still the best d@mn APS-C camera in its class. Nothing comes close to it as a total package. FW 2.x made it even sweeter. It's like a little Jackie Chan kick @ss and taking numbers.


Jan 16, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Jeff Nolten
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · Canon 7D pixel density


M Lucca wrote:
7d is still the best d@mn APS-C camera in its class. Nothing comes close to it as a total package. FW 2.x made it even sweeter. It's like a little Jackie Chan kick @ss and taking numbers.


Don't hold back M tell us what you really think.



Jan 16, 2013 at 03:52 AM
TeamSpeed
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · Canon 7D pixel density


gome1122 wrote:
As an alternative camera for under $1500 what would you suggest for something like indoor shoots for sports? Maybe the 1D III is the best option?


I shoot our local NBA d league games at iso 6400/12800 quite often. The office has been quite happy with the images, so who am I to complain?



Jan 18, 2013 at 04:40 AM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password