Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

We just tried outsourcing for the first time. Because I have zero experience with this, I was wondering how long most people spend going through, adjusting, cropping, converting some to B&W, applying your style, etc. I am just trying to get a feel if there is an average amount of time, or if most people do very little to the edited files.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

You should create an action based on the files they return to you. If they're "neutral" in exposure, contrast, saturation, wb, then you create an action based on that. You can then batch the whole set and then go back and give individual files some TLC.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:35 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

Inku Yo wrote:
You should create an action based on the files they return to you. If they're "neutral" in exposure, contrast, saturation, wb, then you create an action based on that. You can then batch the whole set and then go back and give individual files some TLC.

So, you pull the raws into PS and run a batch action?

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:47 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #4 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

speaking as a color corrector for a retouching lab...whenever we have a new client, i go through the job with them and learn what their preferences are. color correcting, cropping, straightening and b/w conversions should all be part of what you get back from the retoucher. it takes time but if you work with who's doing your work, you should be able to have a proof set come back from them that should be close to client ready.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

I think the established ones have their own sets. You pick which matches yours the best.

Ask Kurtis Kronk. He just went through one.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

I haven't nailed it down to an efficient process yet, I'm still struggling with that. I find that generally the color correction is good enough but it's not quite totally where I want it to be still and there are some times where it's like okay, seriously this is what you thought was neutrally correct?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

joelconner wrote:
So, you pull the raws into PS and run a batch action?

msg me on fb.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:36 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #8 · Outsourced Editing: Applying your touch to the edits

Joel, I just started outsourcing this year. After getting the LR catalog back, I probably spent another hour reviewing choices and doing quick touch-ups, and then some more time doing the more in-depth edits.

1) I went through and quickly scanned the pick/reject choices to see how well they were handling the final-round culling, and swapped an average of three or four choices. This seems pretty good, to me, since most of these were inside-joke shots that looked stupid to any reasonably good eye, but were important to the client for a reason known only to people who were present.

2) I did some additional crop-straightening where it was necessary. The first set I got back from my vendor was very good. Others were almost as good in this regard. Only once did I feel like the editor just sort of gave up straightening halfway through, so I had a bit of work to do, there.

3) Along with the crop/straighten polishing, I also took a few out to PS or just used LR brushes to dodge/burn a bit here and there where I wanted a special result. This work was probably another two hours total, but I might be slower than most people.

4) Then I went back and made B&W conversion selections and put them through NIK in groups. I'm particular about my conversions. I don't like just desaturating, and I've not been thrilled with LR presets/plugins like VSCO -- I like the results I get from SilverEfx a lot better. So I take the time to do that.

The main benefits of outsourcing for me have been 1) hours saved in wrestling with color correction to get colors consistent, and 2) a big improvement in color consistency. The extra help with straightening has been nice, but getting colors right has been my big win.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:33 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password