Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Canon Lens Service Database, v.00

gatorine
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon Lens Service Database, v.00

It might also be interesting to plot the "service life" (years a given lens was sold/serviced) by focal length. I realize there will be some duplicates (various lens speeds, non-is, V1, V2, etc.). I haven't studied the charts or tables in detail. I guess I would expect the lenses with fewer elements to have a longer service life, all things considered. This isn't strictly a function of focal length of course. The addition of IS to many lenses likely clouds the issue as well. We know from Conurus' work that certain ring USM motors are more failure prone than others. This likely reduces spare parts supplies for certain of the Canon lenses as well.

OntheRez wrote:
Looking at the 1991? cluster, it seems clear that 11 or so years later these are all still serviceable at least at CPS Canada. Have any of these lenses been discontinued? One interesting observation is that based on this data focal lengths greater than or equal to 200mm are at greater risk of having service discontinued. We’re looking at 2 each 200mm, 300mm, and 400mm. This is intriguing and suggests a couple of hypothesis: (1) the fewer the copies made, the sooner support will be dropped, and/or (2) something about telephotos make them harder to maintain.

Nice work and much appreciated
...Show more

Edited to add that I echo Robert's appreciation of your efforts Jim!

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon Lens Service Database, v.00

P.S. currently listening to Aqualung at high volume.

P.S. IMO, best track is "Cross-Eyed Mary". ... What? Can't hear you.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon Lens Service Database, v.00

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
For what it's worth....

A Canadian friend of mine sent his 1D2 "no longer serviced by Canon" directly to Canon Japan - and they had no problem repairing it.

Hi Cliff,

If that's what it takes, do it.

My 200/1.8L keeps on ticking, but if I get a hiccup, I'll go all over to get it fixed. If necessary, I'll go to the Mother Ship in Japan, but first, I'll try Sun Camera.

Cheers, Jim

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon Lens Service Database, v.00

LSD?? What, kind sir, could you possibly be referring to?

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password