Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you re...

Killergoalie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

I'll be shooting with a Canon EOS 1D Mk IV, most often in High Speed Cont Servo Mode. I shoot mainly wildlife, landscapes, macro, some sports, B.I.F. etc.

I'm just wondering if the ultra fast 1000x Lexar 16 or 32 GB cards with 95 & 145 MB/S write speeds respectively would be overkill, or would the 800x Lexar 16 or 32 GB cards with only 45 MB/S write speeds would be fast enough?

I do want UDMA 7 compatible cards.

I shoot strictly in RAW.

Also how many RAW images approx would both a 16 GB and 32 GB CF card hold in a 1D4?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

Here's the RG card database for the 1D4
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-10549

I guess you just have to weigh up how many times your going to hit the buffer for the card speed.

As for how many images you will get on a card . Well alot depends on factors like scene detail and iso used (high iso produces larger file size) but if you think of each being around an average of 25(ish) mb then you can work out how many will fit on a card. TDP has a chart listing the file size for each iso which seems to start at 22 (100 iso) and goes upto 36(1024 iso)

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

Thanks Ian.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

The bigger the card you use, the more eggs you have in one basket.

I recently lost 16GB of images:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168980/0

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

I realize that this is always a possibility, but I know of a lot of photographers, even pro photogs such as Arthur Morris who have never lost an image, and find it's more of a hassle to keep changing smaller capacity cards in the remote chance they'll lose some images if they use larger cards. I also don't think that 16 or 32 GB cards are all that big, esp if shooting RAW.

Of course everyone has their own opinion, and I appreciate the warning.

I'd also be downloading the images after each shoot most likely but it would still be nice to have the capacity in case I need it. I've been known to shoot a brick of film in one session and still wish I had more, (When I shot film) so I would hate to run out, esp if it's an important session. I would also hate to run out of space on the card in the middle of the session right when a "once in a lifetime" shot came up. And you know that is exactly when it would happen. Murphy's Law!! .

Also two 16 GB or 32 GB cards are a lot less expensive than 4/8 or 2/4 4 GB or 8 GB cards respectively. Plus it's probably easier to lose or misplace one of the many smaller capacity cards than it is to lose or misplace just 1 or 2 of the larger capacity cards.

But again, everyone has their own feeling, and as I mentioned, I appreciate your input.

Sorry about your lost images.

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:18 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

The Lexar 1000x will be a lot faster than the lexar 800x card. The 800x card is only really fast with the read speed. The write speed is more like their 400x or just a little bit better.
Large cards are much better IMO.

Here is my test with the 1D4 and the cards that I have. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1137133/0#11154973

Transcend 128GB UDMA 7 1000x----- 143 shots in the 30 sec burst
Transcend 64GB UDMA 7 600x------ 133
Lexar 128GB UDMA 7 400x ---------- 118
Transcend 64GB UDMA 7 400x ---- 113
Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro --------- 113
Transcend 32GB UDMA 7 400x----- 112
Transcend 64GB UDMA 6 400x ------ 82
Duracell Pro photo 32GB 600x -----79
Sandisk Extreme III 16GB--------- 75
A-Data 533x --------------------- 60
Transcend 32GB 133x ------------ 52
Transcend 16GB 133x------------- 46

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

Thanks Lars, that is very helpful. Transcend seems to be a fast card. I'm sure they're just as reliable as SanDisk or Lexar...and they seem to be a bit more economical.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How big and how fast (write speed) of a CF card do you really need?

Yes, Lars' results are very useful. That's why I'm using Transcend 64GB UDMA 7 600x in my 1DX and 1DIV. They work just great.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password