New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon G10 flash quit working

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Just thought I'd check here if anyone has thoughts on this. I have contacted Canon to get estimated cost of repair. Likely will be better to buy another used one here, but...

The flash quit working. If it is set to fire, the camera won't take a pic. If it is set to "off", no problems.

Anybody experience this or have an idea on getting it repaired?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Google "canon Loyalty Program" - likely to be cheaper than a repair, and you'll get a newer model refurb camera with a warranty.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Yeah you could go the loyalty route . But you could also just get a small pocket flash to stick in the hot shoe.

Canon 270ex would do a great job for not much cash . And even cheaper you can pick up the sun pack rd2000 .

But also it may be worth checking the hotshoe itself. The DSLR's with pop up flashes have a micro switch that tells the body there is flash present (so the popup won't popup) . I presume the g series would be the same . If its thinking you have a flash in the shoe then it may be wanting to comunicate with it . Just a thought

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon G10 flash quit working

I have checked out the Loyalty Program, and that is a strong possibility. $279 for a G12.

I tried this camera with a 270EX and could NOT control the flash, no matter what I did.

I will check out the hot shoe thought, though. I have a 550EX (bigger than the G10), that can help me figure out what is going wrong.

thanks!!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:47 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon G10 flash quit working

It fires the 550EX. I found a post talking about the little switch under the left hot shoe guide. I was able to play with it to determine that is not the problem. I'm guessing either the flash bulb itself or the capacitor is bad. In which case, it just isn't worth fixing as Canon's minimum charge is only a tad less than picking up a used one here.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:17 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon G10 flash quit working

That sucks, pity that it wasn't the hot shoe microswitch. It's quite unusual for a flash to fail. Also odd that it will fire a 550EX but not a 270EX.

Agree that it's not worth repairing Vs cost of buying a new one

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:31 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Oh, it fired the 270. Just no control. 100% no matter what I did.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Here are some tutorials:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000xmg

http://www.conraderb.com/flashrepair/

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:18 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon G10 flash quit working

thanks Bearman, but it is not a pop-up flash and the hot shoe works fine.

The flash on the G10 does not pop up. Mine just doesn't fire. the flash icon blinks in the display when I try to take a picture with the flash set to fire. Shutter does not release.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Oh! I have no suggestions in that case. Have you tried a google search to see if others have had the same problem?

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:08 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Yea. No luck finding solutions. Keeping my eye out for another used G10, 11, or 12. I doubt I'll find a deal as good as using Canon's Loyalty Program, but I'm in no hurry.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon G10 flash quit working

If you use the loyalty program, I think they allow you to get additional discounts on refurbished lenses when purchased with a camera body- thats additional money off the already discounted refurbished lens price. I think thats the way it works- worth asking about.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:21 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Well, the G10 is a point and shoot, so no lenses. but maybe I could pick something up for my 7D at the same time. then again, my photography has been relegated to the back burner, so I'm not spending much money on it right now.

Still, like you said, it is worth asking about.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon G10 flash quit working

Oh, I know that, but most of us here have SLR's too. I don't think they will require that the lens fits on the G10 Just another avenue to possibly make lemonade out of lemons.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:49 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon G10 flash quit working

. Yea, got it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:31 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon G10 flash quit working

As a G10 enthusiast myself I can see why you want it fixed......but maybe time to move on if you think of what this will cost to repair....just pay a bit extra and go for a G12 or even G1X...which is what I did.

I am keeping my G10 however as it fits in my pocket...and I use it around town, on the beach etc. You could do something similar I guess.

Alternatively.....there are some pretty small flash units out there so you might find one that is compatible with the G10.....but do some research. I have a Metz that is compatible with the G10 but not the G1x...but it also works with my Canon DSLRs...so a bit of a minefield!!

Jan 16, 2013 at 07:53 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon G10 flash quit working

It does not perform well with aux flash units. Never has. So I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on any of the G-series cameras. If I don't see anything better than the Loyalty Program offers, I'll just do that.

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.