Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Aqualung
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · HS Swimming & Basketball

This was my first time shooting swimming. Our HS is undefeated and faced the undefeated arch-rivals. Neck and neck all meet, but our HS prevailed 86-84 to to go to 11-0 overall (7-0 league).

Shot RAW for a change; cooled these down a lot. Looked like a total dork w/ my knee pads on but 2 hours on my knees on the hard tile was tolerable with them.

No diving unfortunately, maybe in the sectionals.

Chris

3. Team support on the turn

Our undefeated boys basketball met another undefeated team...we won 82-63 and will face the other undeafeted team shortly.

6. Some JV love

9. Went wide to show the green laces and green in the crowd - honoring a 7th grader w/ the last name Green who unexpectedly passed away a year ago.

11. Our soph center...31 points to go with 21 rebounds, 10 blocked shots and 7 assists, not a bad night

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 05:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:11 PM
MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Really Nice work overall. I like the last three in the pool. Never tried this sport, hopefully next year.

BB shots are very nice. Nice action, sharp focus, I like the angles and crops.

Only thing I noticed, was the WB looks a tad warm in a few. (may be this monitor). And its really probably a preference anyways. Then again the more I shoot HS BB the lights always post interesting.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #3 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Thanks....on the BB I tend to warm them I'll try a little cooler.

Chris

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:57 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #4 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Just can't leave well enough alone can you? Have to go out and learn to shoot something else. I applaud you for that.

On the swim shots, like number 4 a lot. Classic shot -- and for good reason. Nice job of getting down on the pool deck to get it and nice timing too.

#5 is quite good as well. Free style isn't easy -- particularly short races because you may only get one or two breaths during the race. Nice anticipation. Panned or just slow(er) shutter?

Number 1 is a nice clean shot as well -- and I like the team aspect of number 4. That often gets lost in a lot of other "team" sports like football, basketball, hockey, etc. Cheering for a teammate during competition adds a nice touch to this set.

Basketball...
#6 nice grab. Really good focus and intensity on the players faces. Defenders make this shot really sweet.

#7 Like the peak-a-boo eyes of the defender looking over the ball. Solid.

#8 Probably would have dropped it from the set. Nice of him to open up the body and use his right (wrong) hand but his eyes being closed keep it from being a keeper for me. If he was wincing after getting fouled that's a different story. This just looks like he blinked at an inopportune time.

#9 Don't mind the width of the shot -- but I probably would have gone square with it. Look at the right portion of the frame. A lot of those kids are a) not paying attention to the game or b) not wearing greeen. Lose them and it's a winner.

#10 A little too much profile for me.

#11 Nice shot to close with. Too bad he doesn't pass the ball more. COuld have had a quadruple double. Now that's would have guananteed a BUNCH of picture sales to a whole bunch of outlets.

Really like the way your basketball shooting is progressing. The only thing I'd like to see more of is really tight stuff. Show me waist up. Just head and shoulders. Sweat dripping off someone's nose as they wait for a free throw. That kind of stuff. Russ Isabella and Richard Rowe both do a great job of that with their NBA shooting.

Just food for thought -- but those are very small nits in an otherwise very nice set.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #5 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Thanks Rick, appreciate the nits...they help.

Swim is tough, especially in these smaller venues. Slower shutter, I will probably try some panning next time.

That cheering is good; I was glad I had my earplugs in as it gets pretty loud w/ all the hard surfaces.

Hoops:

Will do, I'm using my 70-200 more on basketball, and the paper likes 'em tighter too.

ha, our center is actually leading the team in assists...I'm going to try and get a shot of him blocking next game...

Chris

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BillP57
• • •
p.1 #6 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Very nice set, Chris. On the swimming shots I like the angles better on #4 & #5 than on #1 and #2. I haven't shot swimming and don't know what restrictions you had on your locations, so this is just my 2 cents. The excitement on the teammates in #3 shows how close this meet was, I doubt they would have all been there in a blowout.

On the basketball I agree with Rick that #9 needs to be cropped inside the kid turned around in the stands. Everything else looks pretty solid.

Bill

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #7 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Thanks Bill...a little restricted but I staked my place out for #4 early, the kids sat around me In #5 she was very close to me so that angle definitely worked better than looking up her nose...

Chris

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #8 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Chris,
I think you did pretty well, and as a friend says "you didn't suck!". Good call on the knee pads since the deck gets very uncomfortable, but no diving? No problems. That can add a mind numbing 30 minutes to the meet, unless you want to shoot diving, which is a challenge in itself.
Oh, and crop all you want, since any sport has become a horizontal world thanks to where the pictures are going now (web, Facebook), because while we might love vertical in a vertical sport like basketball, it doesn't fit the medium nowadays.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #9 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Thanks Steve...yeah very true re: the cropping, eh?

Chris

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #10 · HS Swimming & Basketball

Yeah pretty much. I don't get nearly as much usage with vertical vs. horizontal layout, so a good wide & loose like that shot to show placement and fan reaction is very worthwhile. While "tight is right" may have been the way to go for a long time now, it's not the only answer.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:45 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password