Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Think Tank Belt systems

tdurnan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Think Tank Belt systems

Was looking for some feedback from those who use the thinktank belt system. I shot a venue the other week on multiple levels and was constantly toting around the basics in a bag. Would like to hear from those that are using a belt system and their thoughts on how it has been working for them.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:59 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Think Tank Belt systems

I use a spider pro belt with ThinkTank pouches for two lenses/flash.

Absolutely love it. Takes a ton of weight off of my shoulders.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Think Tank Belt systems

I use a ThinkTank prospeed belt with 2 pouches, the 50 and the 35, and the spyder holster. I love it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #4 · Think Tank Belt systems

Rich, do you wear two belts or do you have the spyder holster attached to the thinktank?

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:04 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Think Tank Belt systems

Brian Virts wrote:
Rich, do you wear two belts or do you have the spyder holster attached to the thinktank?

Spider sells a mount for thinktank/other belts. I am sure he simply has this option. I may convert to the same in the future, but for now the pouches work ok with the spider belt. (they are not as easy to adjust)

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #6 · Think Tank Belt systems

I kinda have a Frankenbelt thing going on. For about a year, I used a ThinkTank steroid belt with their modular system, but then I found SpiderPro Holsters. SpriderPro is kind enough to make an adapter for the ThinkTank belts, so now I have a ThinkTank steroid belt, 3 ThinkTank pouches and two SpiderPro Holsters (I duel wield a D3s and a D800).

I couldn't be happier. I routinely shoot for 8-10+ hours with no issues other than being crazy tired...

IMO, this setup is much better than either stand-alone system. Easily worth the $350 or so investment.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:10 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Think Tank Belt systems

I use the LowePro belt system though I do use some of the ThinkTank pouches with it. But you can easily get by using only the LowePro pouches. I also do use some of the Tamrac pouches on the LowePro belt.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #8 · Think Tank Belt systems

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I've been kicking around the idea of dropping the black rapid dual for the spider system now that I've seen it in use. Good to know that they have an adapter for the think tanks belts.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #9 · Think Tank Belt systems

I really enjoy the spider system, despite looking a bit odd.
W or w/o the spider system.

Love having the weight off the shoulders and security and build quality.

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 05:22 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Think Tank Belt systems

I generally like the Think Tank system, though it does become a bit unwieldy. Having multiple pouches on the belt increases your "outer radius" and makes walking through tight quarters challenging. I also had someone tell me the other day he thought I was a policeman when he first saw me. Not exactly sure that's the vibe I want to give off while at a wedding.

Basically, I love the versatility, but hate the way it makes me look like Rambo the whole day.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Think Tank Belt systems

deepbluejh wrote:
hate the way it makes me look like Rambo the whole day

Guests tell me it looks like I'm in the army or going off to war. Not really thrilled to hear this.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:10 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Think Tank Belt systems

I used a beltpack for approximately two weddings. After seeing photos of myself in said beltpack I decided it looked utterly ridiculous and now I use a ThinkTank LensChanger shoulder bag for my lenses. Yeah the beltpack is convenient, but we aren't shooting football or news. I also upped my game in the wardrobe department after seeing said photos and wear a suit. (generally without the jacket because it's so effing hot in Texas)

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Think Tank Belt systems

I use the ThinkTank belt with just a double skin. Nobody ever mention me lookie like going to war. And i have been there .... but in the Air Force.

I find it pretty easy to get around. I don't knock things around as i have seen the 'sling' users do occasionally.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:48 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Think Tank Belt systems

I used to have a cheap belt, basically a tool belt, that i had a couple different lens pouches on, some from ThinkTank, some from lowepro, etc......well the belt never fit well, always hurt by the end of the night, could never get it adjusted....what do you expect for like $5 from harbor freight.....well i wanted to get a TT belt that had the lock system, where the pouches wont slide back and forth, or off the end when you take the thing off....so i got a pro speed belt, with a Pixel Racing Harness...the belt fits so well, and is so comfortable, that you almost dont need the harness.....ALMOST....i like the harness, helps keep the thing from sagging....but yes, best investment ever....i still use a mix of pouches, eventually i'll switch to all TT pouches....for now i keep one at the end on the right side, one at the end on the left side, locked in, so nothing slides off the end when i take the belt off...awesome setup....

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Todd Baugh
• •
p.1 #15 · Think Tank Belt systems

deepbluejh wrote:
I generally like the Think Tank system, though it does become a bit unwieldy. Having multiple pouches on the belt increases your "outer radius" and makes walking through tight quarters challenging. I also had someone tell me the other day he thought I was a policeman when he first saw me. Not exactly sure that's the vibe I want to give off while at a wedding.

Basically, I love the versatility, but hate the way it makes me look like Rambo the whole day.

This is exactly my experience with those belts, now using a lens changer bag and much happier.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Think Tank Belt systems

NathanHamler wrote:
eventually i'll switch to all TT pouches....for now i keep one at the end on the right side, one at the end on the left side, locked in, so nothing slides off the end when i take the belt off

The LowePro belt has it where each pouch can be locked into a particular spot on the belt so that, when you take the belt off, there are no worries about pouches sliding off. I use a mix of LowePro and ThinkTank pouches on a LowePro belt. As I recall, only the LowePro pouches actually lock in place. (I have the ThinkTank pouches surrounded by LowePro pouches so the ThinkTanks can't move around.)

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Think Tank Belt systems

Lenschanger 3 bag here. Although I wouldn't mind NOT having the weight on my shoulders sometimes, usually towards the end of a long day. But so far it is by far the best solution to carrying and changing lenses that I've tried. I think we're all destined to eventually try every system and bag known to man in our quest for the perfect carrying solution.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · Think Tank Belt systems

I'm probably the biggest Think Tank fan right now. I own 2 Think Tank Steroid Belts, have tried the Think Tank Pro Speed Belt, have SpiderPro dual holsters mounted to each belt, a pixel racing harness on one belt, have the entire Think Tank Skin modular set, Extra Think Tank Skin modular pouches, 2 Urban Disguise 60 v2s, and a Think Tank Airport Takeoff.

So here's what I think about the belt system and modular pouches: It's AWESOME. I'm not getting any younger and using sling bags and shoulder bags have really started hurting my shoulders and back. The Think Tank Steroid Belt offers enough lumbar support so even if you're carrying 30 lbs of gear on the belt, it doesn't really FEEL like you're carrying that much stuff. So why the Skin system that has minimal padding? The Skin system still has some padding which is adequate for my usage during weddings. I really like that they are smaller and travel well. The other thing about the skin system is that they are water resistant and then have a rain cover tucked into the bottom of each pouch making the entire system virtually water/rainproof. The Skin system also doesn't bulge out as much as the Lowepro ones I had or even the normal components from the Think Tank Modular. Think Tank pouches have the option to be locked in to the Steroid or Pro Speed belt or you have have them easily rotate. I prefer locking pouches. The full belt set and harness does look a little like you're packing some serious heat but overall, the big reason for using it is to save my body. Recently, I've purchased a ScottEVest Sport Jacket so the harness and belt system can go on underneath the jacket or even on top without looking too wacky. It's my preferred shooting "bag" now.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Think Tank Belt systems

D. Diggler wrote:
The LowePro belt has it where each pouch can be locked into a particular spot on the belt so that, when you take the belt off, there are no worries about pouches sliding off. I use a mix of LowePro and ThinkTank pouches on a LowePro belt. As I recall, only the LowePro pouches actually lock in place. (I have the ThinkTank pouches surrounded by LowePro pouches so the ThinkTanks can't move around.)

Yeah the TT belt does that too...between having TT pouches at the ends, and the racing harness, nothing is falling off, or has much room to slide around...i never looked at a lowe pro belt, just have a couple pouches...probably same caliber as the TT belt..

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:11 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #20 · Think Tank Belt systems

I have the belt system with various pockets for lenses. But it wasn't for me. I use the think tank lens changer bag and if I need to put it down because I have to lay down in a critical angle, I can easily do that.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password