Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

kurt765
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

High upper level winds were creating at times spectacular lenticular formations in the clouds from the Mojave Desert all the way to the Eastern Sierras. With such clouds I decided to take a detour into part of Red Rock Canyon State Park along highway 14. The clouds were changing fast, with sections of lenticular shapes interspersed with more normal white puffy clouds. Here in the center of frame you can see some of the lenticular shapes above, and on the right there's the pointed end of a flying saucer shape. I would have been happier with more defined saucer shapes, but I was also happy to have clouds in this desolate desert area, and the clouds make for a dynamic landscape here I think.

Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park by Kurt Lawson, on Flickr

-K

Edited on Jan 15, 2013 at 03:37 AM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

Those are indeed wild clouds! Would love to see them at sunset, but this is still pretty sweet.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

Hey Kurt,

Those are cool looking clouds. I think there are too many of them that are blown out though. Perhaps exposing for the highlights and then in processing pulling more detail out of the shadows would be the key here to these?

Jim

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kurt765
• • •
p.1 #4 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

I reprocessed the image. I guess I wasn't quite awake this morning. Anyway, the clouds are not blown out now and I brought up the foreground slightly. I don't want to crush down the highlights in the clouds any more because they were very luminous with the extremely strong sun reflection in the edges and if I darken it further the image loses that quality.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:39 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

So beautiful clouds you have here. Lovely shot indeed!
-Kee

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Wild Clouds in Red Rock Canyon State Park

Very nice!

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:58 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password