Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

alhajri

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Hello everyone,

I'm going out for some camera gear shopping tonight. I wanted to get an extra Canon LP-E6 battery for my Canon 7D and the ND filter from the other post we talked in.

I'll charge this battery and have it in my camera bag as backup when I run out of battery charge. Which brought the question, why would one buy the battery grip? as opposed to having a backup battery? The only thing that comes to mind, is to have a continuous power for a long video recording without interruption, or set the camera to auto take photos over a long time.

But, if one would go for a trip to take photos, the battery grip is not really needed. Having a 2nd or 3rd battery is all one needs..

What do you guys think? Battery grip or backup single batteries?

Kal

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:11 PM
ggOk
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

People with big hand likes the feel of gripped body. Im use to 1d series and it feels right in my hand.
When i do use a grip in my 7d, i still only have 1 battery installed and one in the bag.
/r
Andy

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Additionally, when you shoot in portrait orientation, you get a less awkward grip, and another set of controls. It's not ONLY about battery power.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:21 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Additionally, when used on a tripod with L braclet, you dont have to readjust height when camera turns to portrait side. As as mentioned above, shutter placement is still same when grip is used.

/r
Andy

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:26 PM
mmsean
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I can't stand using cameras without a grip. I like the vertical shutter button, I like how the grip allows me to balance longer or heavier lenses on my camera. Also ungripped bodies tend to dig into the palm of my hand. I always keep 2 batteries in the grip. Rather have it there than in a bag or case in the car or house when my camera is no where near there.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

For my purposes, I NEVER put more than a single battery in my grip. It's there because I move very frequently from landscape to portrait and back again in my landscape photography. The gyrations my right hand has to go through without the grip can be painful after a while, to say nothing about where the camera ends up when you flop the ball head instead of using the grip and simply rotating the camera.

Jo

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM
alhajri

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Interesting, so for the purpose of just having backup power, it's not really necessary to get the battery grip. However, for other reasons like the "Shutter-Release, Main Dial, AF Point Selection, AF/FE Lock, Index" and the wireless transmitter the benefit is great for a studio or outdoor use.

I think I'll get the grip at some point. But not this time for the sole purpose of having extra power

Kal

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I advise against getting a battery grip, alhajri.

For people with arthritis, a grip can be a real help for portrait orientation shots.

For the rest of us with normal flexibility, the extra weight in hand and in the bag is just not worth it.

I have bigger than average hands, but I don't need a grip, even on small cameras like a 20D or a Leica M3.

I don't shoot hundreds of photos in fashion or events where stopping to change batteries would be an interruption. Anyway, these days a person is more likely to have to stop to change CF card before changing batteries.

The issue of "balance" is often cited and is completely bogus. You can, without a battery grip, perfectly balance any camera+lens combination that you can heft (lift). Do it like this:

Hold out your left hand, palm upward, bent at the elbow with the elbow resting on your body. Align the hand so that the line from the heel through the base of the first finger is pointing directly away from you. Place the camera+lens on your left palm and move it forward and backward until you find the balance point (happens very quickly, intuitively). Now curl your fingers around the lens or lens and body and you are ready to shoot.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:18 PM
GammyKnee

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

For me the grip is all about usability. It's way easier to do portrait orientation tracking/panning shots with a grip, and the camera fits better in my hands and feels better balanced particularly with longer/heavier lenses. I just wish Canon had thought to duplicate the joystick control on the 7D grip, 'cos that's my preferred way of switching af points.

But, there may be some advantages power-wise too:
- No worries about the need to swap batteries coming at an inopportune time (never had this before getting the grip, but maybe for some people...)
- Some say it's better for battery life as the batteries are being worn evenly rather than having one being stored at full charge. Not something I'd worry about to be honest..
- Some claim fps and/or af tracking performance can suffer on the 7D when battery power is getting low. Dunno if there's any truth in that however

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

It's ergonomically poor to use a camera in portrait for long periods without a grip. It can cause problems.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

firstgear99
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I got a grip for all my cameras that didn't come with one. Likewise, I also purchase the Canon wrist strap and the ease of carrying the camera around one handed for me is much better than slinging the shoulder strap over my body.

Once you use a battery grip and wrist strap combo, you will always want to use that. My wife uses a 7D and loves the grip and wrist strap.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

firstgear99 wrote:
My wife uses a 7D and loves the grip and wrist strap.

http://images51.fotki.com/v1560/photos/2/280699/6378367/00484351216-vi.jpg

No wonder. She hasn't learned to hold a camera properly.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:47 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

For me, it's all about operator comfort. The grip makes it a lot easier to hold the camera in portrait orientation. Extended battery life doesn't even enter the equation.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:07 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

Just depends on what you like.
I much prefer a camera with no battery grip. It makes the camera much lighter and less bulky.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:23 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I like a grip because you don't have to worry about power with two batteries. I have large hands and like the heft and feel of the gripped camera, but as others said, its convenient with all the controls. Another plus for me is that I use the sling strap from OPtech and i attach one loop to the grip bottom and the other to the right side camera attach point. It sits perfectly while I'm wearing it,and when i reach down with my hand, the camera is in perfect position for me to grab it.

Would I spend the $$ on a new genuine Canon grip? heck no. Would I buy one used? Perhaps. Would I buy aftermarket for ~$60? Yes, to me its completely worth it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
It's ergonomically poor to use a camera in portrait for long periods without a grip. It can cause problems.

Exactly. Prior to purchasing a grip, shooting events ( which I do predominantly in portrait orientation ) left my wrist sore after the evening was done. With the grip, no problems.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:57 PM
kwkodiak
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I bought a grip for my 5D III; I had tried using the camera, sans grip, but it didn't feel comfortable.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

I just like the grip……I carry two extra batteries for the grip. I also have two battery chargers so I can charge the batteries at once.

The grip is getting me in shape for when I can afford a series one big boy camera.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

No grip for me. I had one on my 5D and it was flaky, loose, lost contact sometimes and adds weight.

I have been shooting a 1DS-mk3 and 50D (no grip) and prefer the 50D weight and feel. I have small hands and hardly ever shoot portriat.

If I get a 5DS-mk3 or 6D, I will carry several extra batteries (to match my 1DS-mk3 battery life) and use an L bracket but no grip.

My 1DS-mk3 goes for days on one battery, the 50D went for hours if it was not too cold and I had to replace several of them when they would no longer hold a charge.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:33 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Having a battery as backup vs battery grip

GammyKnee wrote:
- Some say it's better for battery life as the batteries are being worn evenly rather than having one being stored at full charge. Not something I'd worry about to be honest..

My understanding is the camera uses one battery then starts on the other....the way my 40D batteries need re-charging would confirm this (One normally takes a lot longer than the other).

I have always had grips on my cameras for studio use or events...but not for landscape etc where I like to have as little gear with me as possible. Ergonomically, both work for me but with a different 'feel' for the camera. More important in some respects is having a hand strap......I came late to using these; wish I had done it earlier.

I am a firm believer in using decent 3rd party batteries....I probably have half a dozen plus the Canon originals....so always have a couple of charged ones in my bag whatever....

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password