Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

Tim Carpenter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

I'm planning to purchase a 4 drive HD enclosure for backup and storage of my images (My only computer is a Mackbook Pro). I had an older 2 drive enclosure (Mercury Elite from OWC) that went bad. My typical process is that when I'm done with a project, I move the images to one of the drives, then use SuperDuper to copy that drive to the another for back up.

My old enclosure was FW800. I'm now looking at a Mediasonic enclosure that is USB 2.0 for this same purpose ($100) or another 4 drive enclosure from OWC with FW800 ($250). Is the extra $$ worth the jump in speed? I'm not doing production work on these drives, simply moving images to them (and from occasionally), and copying between.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations for a different approach. if the newer MBPs could only take an eSata connection, that would be the ticket.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:47 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

The most commonly used multiple drive backup unit is the Drobo.

There is a more expensive unit called Pegasus which techies prefer.

http://www.promise.com/storage/raid_series.aspx?m=192®ion=en-global&rsn1=40&rsn3=47

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Tim Carpenter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

I'm not a fan of the Drobo as a) I don't want a RAID across drives...and, b) proprietary software. Pegasus is too pricey for me (although looks great).

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:15 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

Tim, I can tell you that the max "real world" transfer rate for USB 2.0 is 30-35MB/s. Never having used a FW800 drive, I don't know what it's transfer rate is. However, since you have some experience with it (before your old drive died), you might be able to determine whether the USB 2.0 connection will be a bottleneck for you. It depends upon the difference in transfer rate and the typical file sizes you'll be transferring.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

Theoretically, FW800 is almost twice as fast as USB 2. That being said, you might consider a drive that includes USB 3 (backwards compatible to USB 2) for when you upgrade your computer.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

I go with faster interconnects for online storage of files that I"m actively using, but I'm happy to use slower USB for backup since speed isn't really an issue for that.

Jan 17, 2013 at 03:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · External HDs for Backup - USB 2.0 vs. Firewire 800

Tim, which macbook pro do you have ? Does it have thunderbolt or an expresscard34 port ?

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password