Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Do you carry both styles of albums and how do you sell them in terms
of quality, cost and worth to the client ? I carry both styles of albums
and I'm trying to push the magazine styles as they cost less for me.

Thank you.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:47 PM
delsol9400
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Most of the other photographers in my market give all the images away on disc, so at this stage I feel forced to do this, because customers ask for it -- but I've included a basic press book in all my packages 8 hours or up with 20 pages. Then I give them the option to upgrade later and they usually do, with more pages. They don't get the images on disc until the book is finished.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:11 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

delsol9400 wrote:
Most of the other photographers in my market give all the images away on disc, so at this stage I feel forced to do this, because customers ask for it -- but I've included a basic press book in all my packages 8 hours or up with 20 pages. Then I give them the option to upgrade later and they usually do, with more pages. They don't get the images on disc until the book is finished.

So is the "press" book something your clients ask for and happy with ? Do you show them the rigid pricier collage style albums ? Im considering dumping my pricier albums and just
going with press albums.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:16 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

I've never seen anything I'd describe as a "magazine", do you have a reference?

I essentially sell books as the more affordable option, and what I'd describe as 'real' albums as the more expensive option. Pretty straight forward. I'd probably say the people who were more fixed on a CD are likely to see the value of a nice book, but a 'real' album as probably too much for them. Those that know they want an album from the beginning are usually the ones that go for the 'real' albums. I guess what I see as a problem for myself is a finished album will cost 2, 3 or 4 times that of a finished book. I wonder if I should have something in there to bridge the gap. Not a huge issue though.

You say the magazine type cost less for you, so you're trying to sell them more. Does that make sense? It sounds like you need to re-evaluate how you price your albums/books/magazines.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:52 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste wrote:
I've never seen anything I'd describe as a "magazine", do you have a reference?

I essentially sell books as the more affordable option, and what I'd describe as 'real' albums as the more expensive option. Pretty straight forward. I'd probably say the people who were more fixed on a CD are likely to see the value of a nice book, but a 'real' album as probably too much for them. Those that know they want an album from the beginning are usually the ones that go for the 'real' albums. I guess what I see as a problem for myself is
...Show more

Press printed magazine style albums with the flimsy pages vs. the most costlier rigid page albums.

I have never sold press printed albums, always the pricier albums. I have some press engagement albums that I included with some packages. But anyone can go online and make that same album as long as they have the files. My cost for a 20 page press album is right around $50.00 bucks, whereas the starting price point for my cost in the more expensive albums is $220.00 and up.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:50 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Do they use real photographic paper? Just trying to understand the quality. For $50 I'll assume not. What sort of mark up do you put on them? You don't have to say, but you need to take account for your time AND make a profit.

Why would you want to push your cheapest album the most? I haven't seen it, but for the price, I'm not sure I'd want it leading the pack. If you want to sell more, then I think value is the obvious selling point & one that will likely appeal to anyone interested in it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
TheGE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

"rigid albums" - you mean "library bound"?

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

I would think that the thinner, cheaper albums would be too close to something a bride could get on their own. My selling point of a gorgeous, custom-designed flush mount album is only pros can get them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

"rigid albums" - you mean "library bound"?

Just trying to clear up the confusion of terms, here.

The terms used here have mainly been in reference to the page thickness, not the binding.

By "magazine style," I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to standard, press-printed books, such as those offered by Blurb, MyPublisher, etc., and by some more sophisticated publishers. The term refers to the inside pages, which are more the thickness of standard coffee-table books.

The "rigid albums" again refers to the pages, not the bindings -- it's a reference to the 1/16"-or-thicker pages, such as flush-mount pages, which usually come along with higher quality bindings.

OP, correct me if I have that distinction wrong. The terms being thrown about in this thread are confusingly imprecise.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:15 AM
delsol9400
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

I think one of those press books costs me about 60-75 bucks, and I charge at least $300 for it (still takes time to put together, sometimes I outsource it). The flush mount layflats from millers, or similar labs I charge 600-800 for.

Jan 15, 2013 at 06:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

marko1953
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

We call the magazine style "Coffee-table albums". You can get some higher quality ones with thick, layflat pages printed on art paper, stain or glossy. Even genuine leather book bound covers. look here:
http://www.momentopro.com.au/

Jan 15, 2013 at 07:16 AM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

Ian Ivey wrote:
Just trying to clear up the confusion of terms, here.

The terms used here have mainly been in reference to the page thickness, not the binding.

By "magazine style," I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to standard, press-printed books, such as those offered by Blurb, MyPublisher, etc., and by some more sophisticated publishers. The term refers to the inside pages, which are more the thickness of standard coffee-table books.

The "rigid albums" again refers to the pages, not the bindings -- it's a reference to the 1/16"-or-thicker pages, such as flush-mount pages, which usually come along with higher quality
...Show more

You are correct. There are so many different terms used it gets confusing.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:53 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

delsol9400 wrote:
I think one of those press books costs me about 60-75 bucks, and I charge at least $300 for it (still takes time to put together, sometimes I outsource it). The flush mount layflats from millers, or similar labs I charge 600-800 for.

That is exactly what im referring to. Selling a press printed album that a bride can make on their own for that amount seems like a hard sell. I've showed up to weddings to see press printed albums made by the bride that look.........well, darn good.

So my initial question basically is do you actively market those albums or just carry them as an afterthought ? Do brides REALLY like that style of wedding album ?

To ME, they seam cheap. Anyone can go online and make them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

misty23 wrote:
To ME, they seem cheap. Anyone can go online and make them.

I saw a bride from 2011 recently. She'd made a book online - it was pretty awful. Awful quality in the spine / binding, the paper was not good at all either. Pretty much the worse book I'd ever seen. The photos were awful as well, as they weren't mine...

My point is she came back to me for a 'real' album. She hadn't bought any digital files from me so couldn't make an cheap book with them (without going into details, the reason for not buying sooner was mainly down to illness). If she had the files, had made a cheap book, I doubt they would have felt the desire to contact me. If they'd bought the digital files from the beginning then so be it, I would have made enough from the job. If you'd like to discourage people from going the "cheap" route, maybe re-evaluate how you price your 'files' to make something tangible seem more appealing?

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:04 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste wrote:
I saw a bride from 2011 recently. She'd made a book online - it was pretty awful. Awful quality in the spine / binding, the paper was not good at all either. Pretty much the worse book I'd ever seen. The photos were awful as well, as they weren't mine...

My point is she came back to me for a 'real' album. She hadn't bought any digital files from me so couldn't make an cheap book with them (without going into details, the reason for not buying sooner was mainly down to illness). If she had the files, had made a
...Show more

I carry both albums, and only sell the cheaper style album as an "engagement signature" album that i design for my brides to use at their wedding as a sign in book. But to market it as a wedding album in my lower end packages is something I've considered. I'm re evaluating my entire price line and I seldom sell my higher priced packages.

Are there companies that print those albums with a matt finish as compared to a glossy surface ? I use Mpix right now and all they carry is a glossy cover.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:14 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

What would you gain by putting into your low package? From my experience, those that are looking to save money almost always just go for the disk.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:17 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste wrote:

My point is she came back to me for a 'real' album. She hadn't bought any digital files from me so couldn't make an cheap book with them (without going into details, the reason for not buying sooner was mainly down to illness). If she had the files, had made a
...Show more

I also include the hi res disc with all of my packages. If I don't, I don't get the booking. Everyone in my market wants them and everyone provides them I hate it but it's part of the industry
and there's no going back.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:18 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

ricardovaste wrote:
What would you gain by putting into your low package? From my experience, those that are looking to save money almost always just go for the disk.

Something "extra" to get that booking. Doesn't cost me a lot. Something the other guy doesn't include.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:19 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

But is that what they want? Have the people interested in the lower packages expressed an interest in an album? I understand the idea, I'm just not entirely convinced - if it's the cheapest, it's the cheapest. Adding a book will ramp up the price - unless you're just doing it AT COST, which would be a waste of time.

The best advise I've had from here is to not worry about the competition, or "the other guy", focus on the client.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:26 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Magazine style albums vs. rigid pricier albums

That's what im trying to find out from other photographers. Are brides interested in this style of album at any cost.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password