Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

DblDrgn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

I'm wondering what y'all think of this:

I have some decent shots that I grabbed as a second shooter, but I'm unsure if it's ok to use them in my portfolio. I know that legally, I'm probably in the clear - I never signed anything and I captured the images on my own camera/cards.

Mostly, the reason I'd want to use them is because they tend to show off the higher-end clients and higher-end venues that I'd like to work with more. Also, I feel like some of the shots would round out my portfolio, giving me something that's missing from the current batch of images.

Is it ok to use these images for my benefit?

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

Check with the photographer you 2nd shot for. Pretty much (except for one person) I've 2nd shot for had no issues with me using them in my portfolio/blog as long as I posted I was 2nd shooting for so-and-so at the time with a link to their site.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:39 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #3 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

i never show them on my blog or website, but i do show them in person at consultations. just check with with whoever you're shooting with.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:31 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

Check with the primary. Its never been an issue when I second and I always 'allow' 2nds to do whatever they want with the images.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:49 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #5 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

I equate it with being like a designer or architect, where you want to show a portfolio of work you've done for others. In this case, work you've done for another photographer. Difference is, you shouldn't give any impression that the couple in the photos was a wedding of yours.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #6 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

What does your contrast say? Oh wait...

If you didn't get everything in writing (ALWAYS get everything in writing) then check with the primary/primaries. Some primaries are very loose with this sort of thing and some are very strict. Toes aren't worth stepping on when a simple phone call or email will clear everything up. We aren't the people you need to be asking.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

Depends on the primary. If they're cool with it, go for it. If they want attribution, give it.

I don't see any downside to displaying anywhere, whether at a consult or on your website. In this case, your photography skills are completely independent of your business skills, IMO. A potential client most likely couldn't care less if the person/people in your image was "your client" or not.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

As long as the primary is ok with that use and has extended you rights in your contract, go for it. If there is no contract, then I believe you would still hold the copyright and have justification for using it. (but it would be silly not to ask the primary even then)

Where things get dicey is in advertising/commercial uses where you likely do not have the needed model release.

I also would feel bad showing a shot that the primary setup.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #9 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

The only thing I request is that my seconds don't tag my clients in their work. Even if they took the image, the wedding was shot by me, and when they see 80-90% of the images on my blog, or on my facebook, that's my work, shot by me, shot for my company. I don't want there to be confusion.

Last summer I shot a wedding and my 2nd shooter added my clients and tagged them. I don't think I discussed it with her before hand, which was my bad, but my bride then linked to her business page and tagged her as the "other photographer". I was a little upset over potential confusion and potential lost business. But I let it go.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

I agree with what pretty much everyone else has said... check with the primary. I personally wouldn't care if you used it in your portfolio, but I won't want you to post it on FB or blog it as if it were your wedding.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #11 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

Scott Mosher wrote:
Check with the photographer you 2nd shot for. Pretty much (except for one person) I've 2nd shot for had no issues with me using them in my portfolio/blog as long as I posted I was 2nd shooting for so-and-so at the time with a link to their site.

+1

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

I wouldn't.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

It is really something you have to discuss with the primary. Personally, I second shoot for friends and they second shoot for me and we don't mind if one another use a shot here and there.

Then again my friends and I shoot weddings at a similar level and with relatively similar target demographic. So it's not like I'm second shooting for a celebrity photographer and using images from a George Clooney wedding in my portfolio and vice versa... make sense?

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

good question, good issues that were brought up for future reference, like the facebook thing

Jan 16, 2013 at 09:51 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

I ask my seconds to only blog those images. It should be indicated that it wasn't their gig. Here's why. If you're
in the same market, then you're using the job that your primary booked to get yourself jobs. Sounds harsh, but
its logical.

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:57 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #16 · using shots in portfolio from 2nd shooting gigs...

jprezant wrote:
I ask my seconds to only blog those images. It should be indicated that it wasn't their gig. Here's why. If you're
in the same market, then you're using the job that your primary booked to get yourself jobs. Sounds harsh, but
its logical.

Not everybody thinks that way....

Why? Because I've been there. I was struggling at one point in booking American weddings but a local photographer helped me out by letting me use them for my portfolio. This helped me out big time.

In return, I'm helping out a young photographer who's getting into the business, as a 2nd shooter and welcome him to use them for his portfolio.

1. My cients won't tell their friends "mo kazi's 2nd shooter joe shot our wedding"
2. If he books a higher end weddings from being my 2nd, more power to him. He earned it. He took those photos himself, and most importantly he edited them himself and if the client likes that, they'll hire him as their photographer. In the end, they might like him more because of his style, his composition, etc.
3. Eventaully I'll have far more work than I can handle, and I'll have a good person to send referrals to if clients ask.

OP, if the Primary is ok with it then you can. But ask what the primary says about it. If OP's cool w/ it, go for it. If not, forget it, move on, there will be others. TRUST ME on this.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password