Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Northern Milky Way

Hardcore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Northern Milky Way

The milky way we have up north is definitely not as spectacular as the south. Here are 2 shots. I have trouble capturing them because there always seems to be a glow of northern lights. Can't complain, as some people will never see northern lights in their lifetime and I see them more often than not.

Still getting the hang of astrophotography. These are all shot at ISO 6400 on a D800 with the 14-24mm @ 14mm/F2.8. Really loving this combo for the purpose. It is amazing the DOF even at F2.8.

NIKON D800    14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8 lens    14mm    f/2.8    15s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800    14.0-24.0 mm f/2.8 lens    14mm    f/2.8    13s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Northern Milky Way

Nice skies! I prefer the second because of the more interesting foreground. The tree poking in on the left doesn't actually bother me.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:00 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Northern Milky Way

I like #2 as well. I do wish that tree branch wasn't there. None the less, the photos are amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Jason

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Northern Milky Way

Hey Corey,

These are sure sweet! It looks like you are doing a good job with your star shots. I do agree that #2 is my favorite, and for me, on the left side the branches poking into the scene do bother me a bit, but the rest of the scene is so powerful it helps to compensate. Now with #1, I do like your shot there too. The light (sun?) that is above the tree line looks great, but in the middle of the trees to the left of that the light there I think hurts the shot. Is that light from a cabin? I would be tempted to clone out that area, or tone down the light if possible, atleast the very hottest area.

Very nice work though, and I really liked seeing the stars from up there.

Jim

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:29 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Northern Milky Way

I like No 2 also. It's funny that I didn't notice the branches on the left until Jim mention them. I guess the rest of the photo just sucked me in! But now that I see those branches they do seem like a distraction. I wonder why you chose to use ISO 6400 at 13s instead of 3200/26s? Do you think that using lower ISO might have lowered the noise just a bit and still kept the stars from trailing? Just curious.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Northern Milky Way

JimFox wrote:
Hey Corey,

These are sure sweet! It looks like you are doing a good job with your star shots. I do agree that #2 is my favorite, and for me, on the left side the branches poking into the scene do bother me a bit, but the rest of the scene is so powerful it helps to compensate. Now with #1, I do like your shot there too. The light (sun?) that is above the tree line looks great, but in the middle of the trees to the left of that the light there I think hurts the shot. Is that
...Show more

Ya, that is a cabin and definitely an annoyance! I will definitely try and clone it out! The other light to the right is a tower. Another annoyance! Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Northern Milky Way

NCAndy wrote:
I like No 2 also. It's funny that I didn't notice the branches on the left until Jim mention them. I guess the rest of the photo just sucked me in! But now that I see those branches they do seem like a distraction. I wonder why you chose to use ISO 6400 at 13s instead of 3200/26s? Do you think that using lower ISO might have lowered the noise just a bit and still kept the stars from trailing? Just curious.

You know, the noise really isn't that bad imo. Anything longer than 13s and I was getting star trails. I guess that is what 36 megapixels gets ya though, and your probably right. I could have went a longer shutter at lower iso, but it's the damn pixel peeping and seeing the trails. There is so much detail it is crazy!

26 seconds and there would have been star trails noticeable even on smaller prints.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:59 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Northern Milky Way

#2 is very nice.

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:21 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Northern Milky Way

Corey, these are really beautiful I like them both the way they are. Great job ! regards, Dean

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:44 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Northern Milky Way

Hardcore wrote:
You know, the noise really isn't that bad imo. Anything longer than 13s and I was getting star trails. I guess that is what 36 megapixels gets ya though, and your probably right. I could have went a longer shutter at lower iso, but it's the damn pixel peeping and seeing the trails. There is so much detail it is crazy!

26 seconds and there would have been star trails noticeable even on smaller prints.

I guess that is a consequence of a high mp sensor. I hadn't thought one could see trails before about 25s or so but since the D800 can resolve such fine detail the movement is detected sooner. Thanks, that is interesting to know.

Jan 15, 2013 at 04:21 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Northern Milky Way

You can probably let go of the technicalities sometimes when you are photographing such a beautiful picture

Edited on Jan 16, 2013 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:57 PM
bokor
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Northern Milky Way

Great shots, nice work.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password