Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

lwrnclightner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

I downloaded the software a while back, but have not even attempted to use it (Hell I won't even have a printer until tomorrow......

But I have just beefed up the glassware and I want to maximize the ol' effectiveness of each, soooo....

How cut and dry is the program, will I need a degree to use it the right way?

Oh and really important, I think I will be able to test focus using each outer focus point, is this right?

Any and all tips and pointers will be used to the best of my ability

Using 1d3 bodies.

Thanks much!

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:20 AM
Greggbhill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

Reading the docs and understanding the process BEFORE I used it helped a lot. Relatively simple for even me, but I still forget on occasion to block the eyepiece (I have a small piece of gaffer's tape). I first used in on a 5D2 in fully auto mode- you basically set it up, start it and just watch it do its thing. A bit more involved on the 5D3, but still pretty easy (not sure about 1D3).

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:20 AM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #3 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

Greggbhill wrote:
Reading the docs and understanding the process BEFORE I used it helped a lot. Relatively simple for even me, but I still forget on occasion to block the eyepiece (I have a small piece of gaffer's tape). I first used in on a 5D2 in fully auto mode- you basically set it up, start it and just watch it do its thing. A bit more involved on the 5D3, but still pretty easy (not sure about 1D3).

Thanks Gregg, that's good to hear. I will close the view finder first.

I am anxious to see if the adjustments that I made in camera are even close to what focal does.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:52 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #4 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

I just set up my lenses with this procedure. It is manual, but pretty straightforward and precise. Also free.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmahar

p.1 #5 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

Provided you set up the camera and target so that they are well aligned vertically and horizontally and make sure that the target is well illuminated then using Focal is a breeze.

Have fun

Doug

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM
ardvorak
• •
p.1 #6 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

dmahar wrote:
Provided you set up the camera and target so that they are well aligned vertically and horizontally and make sure that the target is well illuminated then using Focal is a breeze.

Have fun

Doug

+1

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:41 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

You can use it, but will take a bit of time which is well worth it for shallow dof situations.
I agree reading the instructions first can help.
Make sure you have adequate light on the target to get a good shutter speed as mentioned already. This is key. My limited, albeit successful, experience is you should aim for a shutter speed of 1/(focal length) or better. I had to use a spot lamp on the target. For long lenses, I had to upgrade to the focal pro so I could up my iso a bit. The pro was nice because I could look at the graph and see why the mfa number was chosen. It also gives you a guide on the accuracy of the test.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:53 PM
lwrnclightner
• • •
p.1 #8 · focal.. Is it user friendly for Dummies?

sandycrane wrote:
I just set up my lenses with this procedure. It is manual, but pretty straightforward and precise. Also free.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

I will tinker with this asap. Thanks.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password