Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              45      
       47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.46 #1 · p.46 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

My not so pup Jack; From the Om-D thread.

This is with the SB and a Nikon 35/1.8 wide open.

E-M5    1/125s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 10, 2013 at 09:38 PM
brianc1959

p.46 #2 · p.46 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

fototakas wrote:
Hello,
I need I favor from the Speed booster users
Could you please measure the distance from the lens mount to the optical module.
I just want to know is if it is possible to create Konica AR to NEX speed booster.
The biggest question right now - the physical dimensions of the optical module.
Or Maybe the Mr. Caldwell can say what is the height of the speed booster optical module?

Thank you in advance!
fototakas

The front optical surface of the NEX version is 11.5mm from the Nikon flange (9.0mm from the Canon flange. The m4/3 version is slightly different at 11.8mm and 9.3mm, respectively.

A Konica AR version should be possible. Just remember that adding the SpeedBooster optics requires that the flange-to-flange distance of the adapter become significantly shorter than a plain glassless adapter - 4.16mm shorter for the NEX version. Whether or not Konica AR lenses will mechanically interfere with the optical cell or not depends on the details of any rear protrusions etc..

Jul 12, 2013 at 06:46 AM
TMaG82
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.46 #3 · p.46 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

Quick question, are all M42 mount lenses the same in terms of adaptability?

Reason being I just bought a C/Y Speed Booster and picked up some C/Y Zeiss lenses which I can't wait for. But I also see that a M42 -> C/Y mount adapter exists and there seems to be a lot of interesting lenses in the M42 mount (older Fujinon EBC but especially the Takumar line of lenses). If its as easy as buying the Fotodiox M42 -> C/Y mount adapter and putting it in top of the SB that would be easy but something tells me it's not going to be that easy. If anyone can share some insight prior to me spending the money acquiring these lenses that would be helpful.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.46 #4 · p.46 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

Sounds plausible but as you note, it may present something of an optical challenge since the optics in the SB are calibrated to work with the distances to the glass in the lenses of that mount.

??

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:14 PM
JonPB
• •
p.46 #5 · p.46 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

The short answer is that the C/Y mount has a longer register than does M42, so infinity focus is probably impossible with most lenses. The difference between the two isn't large, but I don't know how that translates into maximum focus distance.

There are also pins on auto-stop-down lenses that could theoretically interfere, but I don't think that would be an issue--at least, not with Super Takumars, which are the only ones I have experience with. Also note that the Auto/Man switch might not be accessible, depending on how wide the mount throat is and where on the lens the switch is mounted, but this is only an inconvenience at worst.

My guess would be that your Zeiss C/Y glass is at least as good as the Takumar equivalents, so I personally wouldn't bother. (I just sold my Pentax kit, including many Takumar lenses, because I haven't used them since I got into the Leica R system.) But they can offer different drawing styles (including the older, single- or un-coated lenses) as well as affordable ways to fill a kit's rarely used focal lengths.

David, I think the problem you're thinking of is the flange mount distance, not the optics. The variation among C/Y lenses as far as both optical exit pupil distance and physical rear-lens distance is probably far larger than is the variation between C/Y and M42 lenses in the same measures. M42 lenses should be able to work--the reason for not supporting Pentax K lenses is the auto-aperture lever, which is much deeper than the equivalent on an M42 Takumar. Again, though, infinity focus when adapted from a C/Y mount will be an issue.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:13 PM
artur5
• •
p.46 #6 · p.46 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

When you screw a M42 lens into a C/Y to M42 adapter, you're converting that lens into a C/Y unit which should perform perfecly in a C/Y camera or with the C/Y version of the SB.
For the record, I'm using currently a couple of Takumars ( SMC 85/1.8 and ST 35/3.5) on the Alpa version of the SB ( with Alpa to M42 adapters ). They work great, no clearing or focus problem at all. I expect they'd perform likewise with the C/Y SpeedBooster..
The only problem which may arise is that, with other M42 lenses, a rear protrusion ( the rear lens shroud,or even the glass) won't clear the front lens element of the SB. Also, some M42 lenses ( ie Fujinons and several Russians) don't have an auto/manual switch and they need a flanged adapter to push the rear pin and close the aperture at the selected setting,Takumars don't have this problem. Of course, this issue isn't directy related to the SB itself, but to the specific model of C/Y to M42 adapter.

Update:
( I just read the last post about the possible infinity issue, )
The difference between the register distance of both systems is so small.( 0.04 mm ) that IMO it shouldn't be a problem. The diameter of the M42 mount is small enough to allow for threading a M42 female inside the male part of the C/Y adapter, even making it 0.04 mm. recessed to compensate for the register difference.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:32 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.46 #7 · p.46 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

I used a peleng fisheye m42 on the c/y speedbooster - works fine.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:53 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.46 #8 · p.46 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

Thanks for all the insight. I have the 50 1.7 in route along with the 35 2.8. I don't shoot a lot wide open and the size/cost savings of the 2.8 vs the 1.4 is substantial. I may look into getting the 25 2.8 as well and the 85 2.8.

Jul 28, 2013 at 09:31 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.46 #9 · p.46 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

Seems like new version of Lens Turbo is launched and prices of Lens Turbo has dropped significantly...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Nikon-F-G-focal-reducer-speed-booster-adapter-to-Sony-NEX-5-6-7-FS700-FS100-/360707999952?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item53fbdf48d0

"...and this new version is made to overcome the a)blue spot b)slight green tint issues in the old version..."

Any experience with newer one...

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:35 AM
TMaG82
• • •
p.46 #10 · p.46 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

Only the Canon EF SB used with EF glass transmits the EXIF data and can have aperture controlled by tri-navi, correct? So using a dumb adapter on top of the SB would nullify this?

Aug 02, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mcbroomf
• • • •
p.46 #11 · p.46 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yes that is correct. I got one of the early EF SB's and tried a number of different lens makes (OM, C/Y etc) and as far as EXIF is concerned it's as if you are just using the dumb EF-other adapter alone

Mike

Aug 02, 2013 at 11:54 AM
JonPB
• •
p.46 #12 · p.46 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

The internet is not good for containing one's excitement of all things new.

[personal voicing of opinions that might not apply to anyone else]

As of today, I've got a new shiny Speed Booster, a barely used NEX, and my happy family of Leica R lenses. Right now the battery is charging and I'm twiddling my thumbs and posting pointless comments to the internet. Such is modern life.

A few observations so far:

-The Speed Booster itself is a satisfyingly solid hunk of metal and glass.

-The optical cell was out of alignment upon arrival. This "precisely aligned at the factory" line is, to me, nonsense. If they do that, they're wasting their money because it doesn't stay put. The optical cell was so far out of alignment that the hold-in-place bolt was screwed in all the way and not holding anything down, leaving the optical cell free to shift about a few millimeters every time the housing was turned over.

-Once calibrated, however, it seems that there's plenty of room for the latest Elmarit 35 and Summicron 50, as well as the Vario-Elmar 21-35. The comments regarding the Elmarit 35 and Summicron 50 on GetDPI from Cunim are applicable to the first versions of both; and I'm convinced that FreakLikeMe's comments in this thread about having to shave his recent Elmarit 35 are so that he can make his minimum focal length shorter. (It is also possible that the housing has changed since he bought his.) Regardless: my Speed Booster has at least 10.5mm of room from the flange, which allows my (used but not apparently modified) Elmary, Summi, and Vario to reach infinity without modification.

-The E-mount side works as smoothly as an OEM lens. The R-mount side is frustratingly tight and doesn't have a stop, so you can turn it past where it should dismount but then locks into the next bayonet threads. Definitely not going to buy a straight Metabones adapter if there's another high quality option out there.

-Initial "run and gun" tests indicate that my opinion of its optics agree with everyone else out there. Which is to say that all the complaints above are totally worth the results.

It is a bright sunny day, I got this kit for nighttime shooting, and I still think I prefer film for ISO 100 situations. But I'm quite excited with my new kit. The large, variable-angle waist-level viewfinder is much more than merely tolerable. Once the battery is charged and the firmware is updated, I'll take more shots and probably learn some new things, both good and bad.

I'm excited.

[/personal voicing of opinions that might not apply to anyone else]

Aug 03, 2013 at 11:29 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.46 #13 · p.46 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

I have two questions:
1) What is/are the difference/s between a MkI and MkIII smart adapter for Canon-E mount

2) For the ZE 35/2 and 100/2 specifically, would people think the speed booster is preferred over the smart adapter? The reason I am ambivalent is 1)I have a good chunk of change invested in a 35mm-e lens for the nex already, but 2) the spectacular bokeh of these lenses wide open, and the effective loss of aperture on the sony crop sensor.

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.46 #14 · p.46 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

MkIi adds AF, check the metabones site.

So you're comparing the zeiss 24 vs the ze 35?

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:00 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.46 #15 · p.46 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

Mk3 adds compatibility to the VG900

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:03 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.46 #16 · p.46 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hmm maybe I can find an mkI at a good price.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:08 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.46 #17 · p.46 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

Thanks. Actually, AF would probably be a 2% thing with this adaptor. I have a Sigma 50, but I bet AF would be so dodgy anyways.

It is not so much comparing as I prefer the smaller form factor on this camera so invested in the 24, but am 'stuck' for the time being with this ZE glass. I tried an adaptor earlier and really didn't like the ergo of the rig, but at the same time, feel a ZE35 as a normal lens for ~$300, effectively, may be a better option than the sony 35 or touit 32 right now, esp. as I don't really have the $$ for the touit.

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
MkIi adds AF, check the metabones site.

So you're comparing the zeiss 24 vs the ze 35?

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:14 PM
stormhalvorsen

p.46 #18 · p.46 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

I got my Metabones Speed Booster X-mount for Contax/Yashica lenses, but I cannot get the Contax lens to click into place on it.

The lens fits onto the Speed Booster but stays completely loose so that if you pull the focus ring it will just twist off. Nothing goes click or anything.

What is wrong here? The lens is a Contax Planar 50mm 1.7 AEJ version in beautiful condition.

Could someone please tell me if the button thing next to the red dot is supposed to pop out or something when the lens is attached? The button seems immobile.

I have written an email to Metabones' support yesterday but since I am worried and impatient and haven't received a ticket number or anything after some 28 hours I'll post the question here as well.

I don't know if I should return the Metabones or the lens or both. Lots of money lost since I have payed customs fees and everything. But I need to act before the return window closes.

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.46 #19 · p.46 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

Mine did that, but after mounting it a few times and with varied lenses, it does "pop" somewhat.

I expect that with use, it will get worn in and "pop" with all lenses easily.

Either way, be sure you have your lens on there securely. My first try with my nikon 85 proved to be a lesson in futility. However, after mounting the 35 and 50 with it, all went well with a more recent try with the 85.

stormhalvorsen wrote:
I got my Metabones Speed Booster X-mount for Contax/Yashica lenses, but I cannot get the Contax lens to click into place on it.

The lens fits onto the Speed Booster but stays completely loose so that if you pull the focus ring it will just twist off. Nothing goes click or anything.

What is wrong here? The lens is a Contax Planar 50mm 1.7 AEJ version in beautiful condition.

Could someone please tell me if the button thing next to the red dot is supposed to pop out or something when the lens is attached? The button seems immobile.

I have written an email
...Show more

E-M5    1/2000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:05 PM
stormhalvorsen

p.46 #20 · p.46 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hmm, perhaps there is hope then. But I only have one lens and it doesn't seem to face any resistance whatsoever when passing the latch. So the way it is now it would simply fall off by itself.

That's a lovely photo by the way! Perhaps I should buy an 85mm as well. Will feel especially stupid tho if I'm left with the Speed Booster plus two new lenses I cannot use for anything.

Edit: been twisting the lens on and off past the lock/latch hundreds of times now while watching a movie. Not once has it fastened. And studying it now I doubt that it will because it looks like the latch is wider than the grove on the lens into where it needs to fit. Either they put the Speed Booster together with a locking part for the wrong lens type or my Contax lens is wrong somehow.

So the question remains: what do I return, the lens or the Speed Booster?

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:37 PM
       47       48       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

47       48       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password