1       2       3              41      
       43              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.42 #1 · p.42 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
I did man. I honestly sorta regret it and am kinda waiting to see if Metabones drops a Nikon F to Fuji X, probably so that I can use the Voigt SLII lenses. I guess we'll just wait and see. Looking at the images I got with the 35 Cron + Speed Booster, I definitely think it's a genius idea worth using.

It is, though I do think it's best suited for primes. It did some very unflattering things to the VE 35-70, and you basically had to pick the focal length at which you wanted infinity. That lens I converted back for the a99.

And F-mount would be interesting. The 28/2 or 28/2.8 would probably be great performers on it.

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:21 PM
genji
• • • •
p.42 #2 · p.42 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
It is, though I do think it's best suited for primes. It did some very unflattering things to the VE 35-70, and you basically had to pick the focal length at which you wanted infinity. That lens I converted back for the a99.

And F-mount would be interesting. The 28/2 or 28/2.8 would probably be great performers on it.

I was hoping the Vario-Elmar 35-70 would be an ideal match for the Speed Booster. Your experiences (plus the list of incompatible lenses) convinced me that I should forget about the Leica R SB and get a Contax C/Y SB instead. I tested it briefly today (with the Distagon 28/2.8 and Planar 50/1.7 and was impressed.

Jun 06, 2013 at 04:47 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.42 #3 · p.42 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:

When they put out a dumb (non-electronic) Nikon F-E speed booster, I'll probably buy.
The 28/2.8 AIS is one of my favorite Nikkors of all time, and I almost got one this time around, but i felt (and I'm probably right) that it'd be a wash on the Lens Turbo... so i went with a 35/2 instead.

Jun 06, 2013 at 07:31 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.42 #4 · p.42 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

I apologize if this has already been asked+answered but has anyone tried the SpeedBooster EF -> NEX adapter with a Nikon lens? (F Mount to EF "dumb" adapter stacked onto a SpeedBooster EF NEX adapter).

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:10 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.42 #5 · p.42 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

artur5 wrote:
I wonder if the rumored NEX FF will be in fact a slightly updated NEX-7 with a Speed Booster glued .

It would be great if somebody made rings for using the lenses which can't be adapted to Canon EOS ( Minolta MD, Canon FD, Konica AR ) but could be adapted to an Alpa mount Speed Booster. No need for buying different SBs for each lens mount. I see why Metabones wouldn't be interested on making those adapters but there're plenty of entrepreneur Chinese makers/vendors out there.
Although it's probable that the volume of sales wouldn't justify the investment required..

To my way of thinking there would possibly be a better market for the three mounts mentioned. At present the only FF digital option for lenses with those mounts is the Leica M or a mount conversion. I've been thinking about the C/Y>FX speedbooster, but the voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I can use them FFalready on my 5DII.

Jun 09, 2013 at 10:30 PM
artur5
• • •
p.42 #6 · p.42 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

snapsy wrote:
I apologize if this has already been asked+answered but has anyone tried the SpeedBooster EF -> NEX adapter with a Nikon lens? (F Mount to EF "dumb" adapter stacked onto a SpeedBooster EF NEX adapter).

Not quite a Nikon lens, but I've tried a Zuiko 24/2.8 "leitaxed" to Nikon stacked onto an Alpa to Nikon AI adapter. on my Alpa-NEX SB.

Jun 10, 2013 at 04:50 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.42 #7 · p.42 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

snapsy wrote:

People have been doing that, but it's an awful waste to buy a $600(right?) Smart EF adapter just to put a Nikkor AI lens on it. If they put out a $400 F-E adapter, that would make a lot of people happy.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:19 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.42 #8 · p.42 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

snapsy wrote:

ISO1600 wrote:
People have been doing that, but it's an awful waste to buy a $600(right?) Smart EF adapter just to put a Nikkor AI lens on it. If they put out a $400 F-E adapter, that would make a lot of people happy.

I wouldn't call $200 extra an "awful waste" in any case. I would be more hesitant to plunge out $400 for an adapter that could not take a variety of lenses with too short registration distance to work with an F mount. The EF -> NEX adapter works well also with F-mount lenses via dumb adapter for me.

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.42 #9 · p.42 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

snapsy wrote:

I've tried SB with NEX-7 and 5R with the following Nikon glass:

The 85mm f2, 50mm f1.2, 55mm f2.8, 55mm f3.5.

I'm mostly pleased with the results.

Here's one with the 50mm f1.2

© Joseph Ferrari 2013

NEX-7 and Nikkor 50mm f1.2

Jun 10, 2013 at 07:38 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.42 #10 · p.42 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

The extra $200 is an awful waste for people that ONLY want to use Nikkors and don't have any EOS gear (ME).

Jun 10, 2013 at 08:24 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.42 #11 · p.42 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:
The extra $200 is an awful waste for people that ONLY want to use Nikkors and don't have any EOS gear (ME).

You can start building your EOS lens lineup

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:27 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.42 #12 · p.42 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

ytwong wrote:
You can start building your EOS lens lineup

but i don't want any eos lenses.

Jun 10, 2013 at 09:51 AM
asbalyan
• •
p.42 #13 · p.42 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:

I have lenses from all vendors (but only very few from each),
-> CZ 50/1.7 in C/Y mount,
-> Elmarit-R 90 and 35 (both initial version)
-> Nikkor 105/2.5, Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 PC and few Series-E (100/2.8, 50mm...)
-> Oly 50/1.4 & 50/1.8 and Quantary 55 macro in Oly Mount
-> Think of any M42 (just kidding... but some nice fast ones)
-> Minolta 58/1.2 converted to EF mount

Seems like, I dont have any other option that NEX-EF SB... BUt I havent seen people using different adapters on NEX-EF SB....

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.42 #14 · p.42 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

In your case the EF Speedbooster would be smartest. Just use regular adapters to EF mount.

I heard it can, in some cases cause problems with the electronic contacts if things stick out to much on the wrong side.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:32 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.42 #15 · p.42 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

Then (to Metabones) give us a dumb EF speed booster. Something that doesn't have $200 of electronics in it, since I'm never going to use them.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:33 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.42 #16 · p.42 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:
Then (to Metabones) give us a dumb EF speed booster. Something that doesn't have $200 of electronics in it, since I'm never going to use them.

+1 and make to Fuji x as well

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:38 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.42 #17 · p.42 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yeah, they need to make the so-called universal SB.
I will spend my hard-earned money on one, if they make it.

Jun 10, 2013 at 01:41 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.42 #18 · p.42 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:
Yeah, they need to make the so-called universal SB.
I will spend my hard-earned money on one, if they make it.

+1

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:10 PM
artur5
• • •
p.42 #19 · p.42 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

Possibly Metabones believes that a universal SB wouldn't be boosting their total sales. Better to have a number of customers buying two or three different SB versions that only one unit plus two or three different adapter mounts ?.
It could be also that a universal model isn't that easy to make. The front element of the SB is quite exposed even on a relatively thick version as the Canon EOS, let alone the Alpa.
See on the picture below how the front lens of the SB is almost flush with the bayonet. A universal model implies recessing some millimeters the flange to allow some space for the lens mount to fit. When swapping mounts, the sides and front of that lens would be on first line of fire, so to speak.. or maybe I'm totally wrong and we'll see the 'Universal' in a couple of months

On a different matter, the rear cap supplied by Metabones with the NEX versions of the SB is awful. Absolutely loose, falling from it's place just blowing on it. I have some cheap NEX rear caps that are also terrible in this aspect The original Sony is much better.
Luckily, messing with some spare caps, I discovered that Nikon rear caps fit very well on the NEX bayonet ( but rotating anticlockwise, of course )

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:37 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.42 #20 · p.42 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

Wauw, that is much more to the surface then the C/Y one. The glass starts at apr. depths of 10 mm.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:42 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.