Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              40      
       42              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.41 #1 · p.41 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

Sculpt- those are fantastic shots with the Tessar. Really shows what the extra money spent over a Lens Turbo goes- stellar distortion control.

Jun 04, 2013 at 02:57 AM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.41 #2 · p.41 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:
Sculpt- those are fantastic shots with the Tessar. Really shows what the extra money spent over a Lens Turbo goes- stellar distortion control.

Thank you!

I did a +5 distortion correction on the building to get the left line straight. The lens is plenty sharp although I am not completly happy with the sharpness of the outer left corners, due to the Speedbooster, although they are further away.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:02 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.41 #3 · p.41 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

Sony takes the Metabones adapters serious!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.promotions.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-promotions-metabonesEFAdapter.shtml

Edited on Jun 04, 2013 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:05 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.41 #4 · p.41 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

That is just the normal "Smart" adapter, not the SB....

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:12 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.41 #5 · p.41 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yeah you're right. I changed it to adapters.

Jun 04, 2013 at 07:15 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.41 #6 · p.41 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

sculptormic wrote:
Sony takes the Metabones adapters serious!

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/resource.promotions.bbsccms-assets-cat-cambroprod-promotions-metabonesEFAdapter.shtml

Interesting that they're offering the Metabones EF and not their own LAEA2. I guess this division of Sony doesn't have much confidence in their own lenses.

Jun 04, 2013 at 08:34 PM
genji
• •
p.41 #7 · p.41 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
Long time no "see", sir. I hope all is well. I remember that Lux. That was the copy I couldn't bring myself to shave for the DsIII (or shave the DsIII's mirror). How's it been treating you?

I'm really looking forward to shooting the Elmarit again. When I first owned it, I was too hung up on getting f/2 or faster to give the Elmarit a fair chance, but when I look back at the test shots with it, I regret having turned it around so quickly. On the downside, I think I'm starting to hoard 35mm lenses. I'm seriously considering
...Show more

The Lux-R 35 has spent most of its time in the dry cabinet because I can only use it at close distances on the 1 Ds2 and somehow I feel as though much of its goodness would be lost on a crop camera. But my Contax C/Y Speed Booster is waiting to be picked up at the post office this morning and, if I like the results with the Distagon 35/1.4 and the Planar 85/1.4, I might be tempted to spring for a Leica-R Speed Booster.

I'm trying hard not to look for a Summicron-R 35mm, on the basis that a Summilux-R 35 and an Elmarit-R 35 should be enough...

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:01 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.41 #8 · p.41 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
Interesting that they're offering the Metabones EF and not their own LAEA2. I guess this division of Sony doesn't have much confidence in their own lenses.

Sony Pro is doing something that makes so much sense that everyone is shocked in disbelief. There are 90 million EF lenses out there, and A mount in comparison is only a tiny fraction of that. They could have let the customer choose between LAEA2 and Metabones, but they didn't even bother to do so. They simply acknowledge the fact that EF lenses are popular for cinematography. They have done their homework to figure out what their customers actually prefer. In any case I don't necessarily read this as a confidence issue, but simply a reflection of market reality.

Jun 05, 2013 at 12:05 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.41 #9 · p.41 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

Bo-Ming, that is a very good point.

Jun 05, 2013 at 12:14 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.41 #10 · p.41 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

cyberstudio wrote:
Sony Pro is doing something that makes so much sense that everyone is shocked in disbelief. There are 90 million EF lenses out there, and A mount in comparison is only a tiny fraction of that. They could have let the customer choose between LAEA2 and Metabones, but they didn't even bother to do so. They simply acknowledge the fact that EF lenses are popular for cinematography. They have done their homework to figure out what their customers actually prefer. In any case I don't necessarily read this as a confidence issue, but simply a reflection of market reality.

yeah that's what i was thinking, EF is just a much bigger market. it's what i'd do too.

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.41 #11 · p.41 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

I don't disagree. It is smart, and shockingly un-big company of them. I just want to know why we didn't all get Hawk's Factory M-mount adapters when we bought our 7s.

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:43 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.41 #12 · p.41 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
I don't disagree. It is smart, and shockingly un-big company of them. I just want to know why we didn't all get Hawk's Factory M-mount adapters when we bought our 7s.

+1

though i guess a NEX-7 is a lot cheaper than the video cameras and not the greatest NEX for m glass.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.41 #13 · p.41 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
Did you sell off the SB as well, Brody?

I did man. I honestly sorta regret it and am kinda waiting to see if Metabones drops a Nikon F to Fuji X, probably so that I can use the Voigt SLII lenses. I guess we'll just wait and see. Looking at the images I got with the 35 Cron + Speed Booster, I definitely think it's a genius idea worth using.

Jun 05, 2013 at 02:09 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.41 #14 · p.41 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

I think a LOT of people are kinda waiting to see if Metabones drops a Nikon F to X or E adapter...
I was, until the Speed Booster came out.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.41 #15 · p.41 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

cyberstudio wrote:
Currently in the prototyping stage. Hope everything goes well. (Do you know of any Minolta MD lenses with long appendages, levers, spikes or anything out from the back of the lens which could hit something? Please warn us in advance so that this product could successfully be built asap.) Most likely we will see Minolta MD before Canon FD.

any update on the MD SB?
I tried the Lens Turbo, got lousy results, and now i am totally convinced to get a SB.

Jun 05, 2013 at 07:25 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.41 #16 · p.41 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

Phillip Reeve wrote:
any update on the MD SB?
I tried the Lens Turbo, got lousy results, and now i am totally convinced to get a SB.

Yes Phillip, I think they make a big difference in quality. They have a very different design all together.
The designer of the Speedbooster Mr Caldwell has a great reputation.

I have a lot of Minolta MD lenses as well, but no sign yet of a MD Speedbooster.

Jun 05, 2013 at 08:50 AM
artur5
• •
p.41 #17 · p.41 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

I wonder if the rumored NEX FF will be in fact a slightly updated NEX-7 with a Speed Booster glued .

It would be great if somebody made rings for using the lenses which can't be adapted to Canon EOS ( Minolta MD, Canon FD, Konica AR ) but could be adapted to an Alpa mount Speed Booster. No need for buying different SBs for each lens mount. I see why Metabones wouldn't be interested on making those adapters but there're plenty of entrepreneur Chinese makers/vendors out there.
Although it's probable that the volume of sales wouldn't justify the investment required..

Jun 05, 2013 at 09:42 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.41 #18 · p.41 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

somewhere earlier in this thread, somebody posted an email conversation they had with Metabones about a "universal" version of the SB.

Jun 05, 2013 at 11:55 AM
artur5
• •
p.41 #19 · p.41 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

Like a modern Tamron's "Adaptall' system with interchangeable mounts ?..
Interesting but I daresay a bit tricky technically speaking and surely more expensive than a fixed mount unit, though more versatile, of course. Let's wait and see.
Looking at my Alpa to NEX SB ( I'am the only one here owning one of these ? ) I see that the front lens of the SB is almost flush with the lens mount. If Metabones released that universal version, which would require a even shorter flange distance, the optics would be frightfully exposed to accidental damage when changing the mounts.

Jun 05, 2013 at 01:13 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.41 #20 · p.41 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

sebboh wrote:
+1

though i guess a NEX-7 is a lot cheaper than the video cameras and not the greatest NEX for m glass.

Okay, fine. Righteous indignation thoroughly doused with an ice-cold bucket of truth.

Jun 06, 2013 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password