Mike
http://ic2.pbase.com/o9/63/551663/1/150419697.SZpPGfRe._DSC4512.jpg

May 26, 2013 at 05:18 PM
eno789
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.40 #2 · p.40 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

cyberstudio wrote:
Do you guys think it is a good idea to split out and form a thread dedicated to Lens Turbo? (Instead of mixing it inside the Speed Booster thread.) If a moderator could help with the split, all the better. Thanks!

+1

May 26, 2013 at 05:33 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.40 #3 · p.40 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

The adapters try to do the same thing in the same way to the same camera, no? Lens turbo is meant to compete with speed booster, no? It's like a thread about wide angle lenses for the nex, except its about...reducing adapters?

What's the generic name?

It does seem the SB is doing it better at the moment.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8399/8828799678_86e401b193_b.jpg

LT w/ nikon 50/1.4 @ 1.4

May 26, 2013 at 09:32 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.40 #4 · p.40 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

I actually prefer to have these similar products in a single thread, but the title better reflex that.

May 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.40 #5 · p.40 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

I wouldnt mind at all of they were split up. They are two very different but similar products. One is high end with electronics, the other is.... Affordable.

May 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.40 #6 · p.40 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

uhoh7 wrote:
The adapters try to do the same thing in the same way to the same camera, no? Lens turbo is meant to compete with speed booster, no? It's like a thread about wide angle lenses for the nex, except its about...reducing adapters?

ytwong wrote:
I actually prefer to have these similar products in a single thread, but the title better reflex that.

Exactly. Could be renamed "focal reducer" in the title if we wish to discuss all of these together.

May 27, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.40 #7 · p.40 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

i opened a new thread for the lens turbo adapter: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216015
in short: it performs much worse than the SB.

Edited on Jun 04, 2013 at 01:19 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2013 at 05:29 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #8 · p.40 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

Played around with the Summicron 35 on an NEX SB in my back yard while waiting for Comcast to arrive and fix our service. I like it much more than the VE 35-70/4 I had planned to use on the SB. I'd say it retains 95% of what I've always liked about the Cron without exaggerating the lens' faults to a great degree. It's a hefty combo for the NEX, though. I've got an Elmarit on the way, which is 125g lighter or a little more than a quarter of the Cron's weight off. We'll see how it goes.

Both wide open...

Jun 01, 2013 at 10:05 PM
genji
• • • •
p.40 #9 · p.40 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
Played around with the Summicron 35 on an NEX SB in my back yard while waiting for Comcast to arrive and fix our service. I like it much more than the VE 35-70/4 I had planned to use on the SB. I'd say it retains 95% of what I've always liked about the Cron without exaggerating the lens' faults to a great degree. It's a hefty combo for the NEX, though. I've got an Elmarit on the way, which is 125g lighter or a little more than a quarter of the Cron's weight off. We'll see how it goes.

Both wide
...Show more

When I saw your post, I thought "but, but... the Summicron-R 35 doesn't work with the Speed Booster." I was wrong. According to the Metabones site, it's the Super-Elmar-R 15mm, Elmarit R 28/2.8, Elmarit R 35/2.8, and Summicron R 50/2 lenses that require modification. Just my luck that the 28/2.8, 35/2.8, and 50/2 are three of the lenses I'd hoped to use with the Speed Booster. I don't want to fuss with any of my Leica R lenses so I've ordered a Contax C/Y Speed Booster instead.

Are you intending to modify the 35/2.8?

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:03 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.40 #10 · p.40 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

Brody LeBlanc, I believe it was, was using the 35cron-R on his SB+XPro right from the get-go. It seems to be a wonderful lens to pair with the SB.

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:59 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.40 #11 · p.40 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

genji wrote:
When I saw your post, I thought "but, but... the Summicron-R 35 doesn't work with the Speed Booster." I was wrong. According to the Metabones site, it's the Super-Elmar-R 15mm, Elmarit R 28/2.8, Elmarit R 35/2.8, and Summicron R 50/2 lenses that require modification. Just my luck that the 28/2.8, 35/2.8, and 50/2 are three of the lenses I'd hoped to use with the Speed Booster. I don't want to fuss with any of my Leica R lenses so I've ordered a Contax C/Y Speed Booster instead.

That is a pity with your Leica lenses. Now, on the hunt for Contax lenses

Here are some with the Speedbooster and the tiny Contax Tessar.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5350/8938626517_9ccbb09a96_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/8939630618_e79172a28a_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/8938616743_7c80dabb36_o.jpg

Edited on Jun 03, 2013 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:31 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.40 #12 · p.40 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

The 35 Cron-R works, though I had to adjust the infinity focus on my SB to be able to reach infinity. Also, before that, there was a slight resistance when focusing to infinity which I think was the tab on the back of the lens hitting part of the SB. After the adjustment, that stopped and it's smooth all the way.

The combo is indeed heavy. But it's a nice setup.

DSC09337.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:39 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #13 · p.40 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

genji wrote:

The Summicron has a fin that needs to be shaved in order to work with the SB, as does the Elmarit. I believe they're there to protect the rear elements when the lenses are getting mounted to R cameras
but they don't serve any function in the optical path, so, yes, I do plan to shave the Elmarit as well.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:39 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #14 · p.40 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:
Brody LeBlanc, I believe it was, was using the 35cron-R on his SB+XPro right from the get-go. It seems to be a wonderful lens to pair with the SB.

I picked up Brody's Cron in a trade. He had shaved the fin.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:41 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #15 · p.40 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

Taylor Sherman wrote:
The 35 Cron-R works, though I had to adjust the infinity focus on my SB to be able to reach infinity. Also, before that, there was a slight resistance when focusing to infinity which I think was the tab on the back of the lens hitting part of the SB. After the adjustment, that stopped and it's smooth all the way.

The combo is indeed heavy. But it's a nice setup.

Nice shot, Taylor. I assumed you would have to shave the Cron since it had already been done on my copy. I guess I'll see if I have to shave the Elmarit, but it's not a big deal if I do. I'd probably hesitate to do it if I were working with a pristine copy, but the Elmarit is a user with a some dings and paint loss.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #16 · p.40 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

sculptormic wrote:
That is a pity with your Leica lenses. Now, on the hunt for Contax lenses

Here are some with the Speedbooster and the tiny Contax Tessar.

Nice shots as always, Michiel. I thought about going to C/Y route since the lenses tend to be cheaper and more plentiful on the used market, but I love Leica's 35mm lenses, so if I can get happy with one of them on the SB, that's where I'll stay.

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.40 #17 · p.40 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
I picked up Brody's Cron in a trade. He had shaved the fin.

Yea, before shaving you could only focus out to roughly 10ft. But it's not too difficult to shave the fin down as long as you're careful. Honestly, I already miss the Cron + SB combo.

Jun 03, 2013 at 02:38 PM
genji
• • • •
p.40 #18 · p.40 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

freaklikeme wrote:
Nice shot, Taylor. I assumed you would have to shave the Cron since it had already been done on my copy. I guess I'll see if I have to shave the Elmarit, but it's not a big deal if I do. I'd probably hesitate to do it if I were working with a pristine copy, but the Elmarit is a user with a some dings and paint loss.

All my Leica R lenses are pristine, including the Summilux-R 35mm I bought from you three years ago.

freaklikeme wrote:
Nice shots as always, Michiel. I thought about going to C/Y route since the lenses tend to be cheaper and more plentiful on the used market, but I love Leica's 35mm lenses, so if I can get happy with one of them on the SB, that's where I'll stay.

I'll be very surprised if you don't like the Elmarit-R 35mm, it's one of my favorite lenses on full frame.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:02 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #19 · p.40 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

genji wrote:
All my Leica R lenses are pristine, including the Summilux-R 35mm I bought from you three years ago.

I'll be very surprised if you don't like the Elmarit-R 35mm, it's one of my favorite lenses on full frame.

Long time no "see", sir. I hope all is well. I remember that Lux. That was the copy I couldn't bring myself to shave for the DsIII (or shave the DsIII's mirror). How's it been treating you?

I'm really looking forward to shooting the Elmarit again. When I first owned it, I was too hung up on getting f/2 or faster to give the Elmarit a fair chance, but when I look back at the test shots with it, I regret having turned it around so quickly. On the downside, I think I'm starting to hoard 35mm lenses. I'm seriously considering picking up a ZF 35/1.4.

Edited on Jun 03, 2013 at 09:39 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2013 at 09:34 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.40 #20 · p.40 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
Yea, before shaving you could only focus out to roughly 10ft. But it's not too difficult to shave the fin down as long as you're careful. Honestly, I already miss the Cron + SB combo.

Did you sell off the SB as well, Brody?

Jun 03, 2013 at 09:35 PM
1       2       3              39      
       41              47       48       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              39      
       41              47       48       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.