Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              33      
       35              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

sangdabom73
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

carstenw wrote:
LR only has capture sharpening and sharpening on export, there is no way to do step-wise downsizing and sharpening.

That's what I thought. I use sharpening for the image and also use sharpening when I export to jpeg, but it seems like it is nowhere close to multiple step sharpening from PS. I just didnt want to use LS for most of pp and use PS for jpeg resize/sharpening.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:17 PM
mortyb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

I have a few different downsizing scripts, but they are more or less variants of Denoir's and Samuli Vahonen's scripts. (There was a thread here about PP and sharpening a while ago.) They are basically step-sharpening actions the way Carsten decribes in the getdpi thread. It depends on what camera and lens the shot was made with, and also subject. It's a bit try and fail. I never resize in one step and then sharpen.

If you're familiar with Photoshop actions, try and make one with Carsten's steps - and tweak it from there. I'm sure results would be great.

BTW the P&S comment isn't really a good one because with step sharpening even shots from a P&S camera can look really, really good. Proper downsizing (and PP) has a lot of impact to how the final image will look. What I meant is that IMO there is a lot of potential in your shots that is lost because of non-optimal downsizing and sharpening. Spend a little time on it, results will be worth it. IMO.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:00 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.34 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

man lets get back to SB talk. All this sharpening stuff really needs to go somewhere else. I hate when threads go OT for over a page.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:44 PM
CronoDL
• •
p.34 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

To get back to SB talk, I recently purchased both an OM 24mm 2.8 and an OM 28mm f2. I love the build quality and small size of the OM lenses, and they perform very well on the SB. The only flaw is vignetting wide open, but I believe that's just due to the lens' performance itself. I find the 24mm 2.8 to be a bit soft in the corners wide open, but still very usable.

I don't have any shots posted yet with those lenses, but here are two recent pics taken with the Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8 with the SB on the NEX-6. The SB pretty much stays on the camera now.

Rainy Day by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Waiting by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:19 PM
CronoDL
• •
p.34 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

I forgot to mention that the OM 24mm 2.8 fits onto the SB with no issues. The 28mm f2, however, has a protrusion on the back. I taped up everything on the back of the lens and filed down the protrusion a few millimeters and that was it. Such a sweet, sweet lens.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:51 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.34 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

ISO1600 wrote:
man lets get back to SB talk. All this sharpening stuff really needs to go somewhere else. I hate when threads go OT for over a page.

I believe photographs with the Speedbooster need other PP as usual, so it that sense it was related to the subject.
Got a little out of hand, though.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.34 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

16mm zenitar f/2.8

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.34 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

I like the PP discussions around here, and side conversations are bound to grow organically out of narrowly defined topics. It doesn't mean you have to read it, just skim for relevant information, and it doesn't stop anyone from posting on topic.

I decided to order the Leica R to NEX SB, specifically in the hopes of turning the Vario-Elmar 35-70 into a more useful walk-around lens on the NEX-7. That combined with the Summilux-M 35 and one of the teles (75, 90, or 135) I'm hoping will make a great smallish grab-and-go kit. I know VE isn't tiny, but it's light and useful enough on the 7 with just an adapter. Getting a stop more light out of it at 38-75mm-ish will probably make me not care so much about the corners.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.34 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

I can skip over the off topic stuff, but I'd rather actually have more on topic, vs 9 posts in a row about something that really has little to no specific relation to the thread.
I was merely hoping to get the SB discussion back onto the SB itself.

Personally- I'll probably get a NEX-6 this fall, after relocating to Korea. Hopefully by then they either have a NEX-F mount adapter, or the "universal" one mentioned earlier.

Apr 21, 2013 at 02:32 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.34 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

Fair enough.

By then, they may have those adapters and an NEX-6n. Which F mounts are you excited about using on the SB?

Apr 21, 2013 at 03:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.34 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

I already have a 50/1.4 AIS that I love.
I'd like to pick up an 85/2 AIS.
Maybe another 28/2 if i find one cheap enough. That would be a fun and simple NEX/SB kit.

Apr 21, 2013 at 02:57 PM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.34 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

some rokkor examples with grey filter on NEX-6

L.

Apr 21, 2013 at 08:05 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.34 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

Great shots with the Rokkor!

what filter did you wind up going with?

Apr 22, 2013 at 02:56 AM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.34 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

Thanks,

I use Marumi - filters, here 8x.

-L.

Apr 22, 2013 at 06:27 AM
perost

p.34 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

I just got a C/Y-NEX Speed Booster, but it's got some issues. It doesn't allow any of my C/Y lenses to focus to infinity, but that's fixable and something I expected given the comments here.

The bigger issue is that the fit with some of my lenses is very poor. My S-Planar 60/2.8 and Sonnar 85/2.8 do lock, although they have a small bit of play. Neither of my two Planar 50/1.7 locks though, and simply turning the aperture dial will unscrew the lens from the SB. This is a big issue since the Planar 50/1.7 is the main reason I bought a SB. I used to have similar issues with a cheap adapter (though not as bad) which caused me to get a Novoflex adapter instead, and with the Novoflex all of my C/Y lenses locks firmly in place.

Anyone have any ideas for how to fix this? The issue seems to be the weak locking mechanism (compared with the Novoflex), which means that it's likely a design issue and not a manufacturing issue. So getting the SB replaced probably won't solve the issue. I also have a Yashica ML 50/1.9 which fits very securely on the SB, and it almost looks like it might be possible to swap the mounting plate with the Planar 50/1.7 to create some kind of franken-Planar. The Yashica seems to use those pesky JIS screws though, so I'd need to get some JIS screwdrivers before testing that plan.

Edit: After playing around a bit it seems like it's actually possible to get the Planar 50/1.7 to lock if I jiggle it around a bit. The keyword here is "jiggle" though, which is only possible since the fit is so loose. So even when it locks it's still very loose, which kind of ruins the nice feel of using the lens.

Apr 22, 2013 at 09:11 PM
DtEW

p.34 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

perost, the play is probably a problem with the Contax CZ Planar 1,7/50 T*. I have the same lens and had a similar play issue with it using a Fotodiox adapter. I ended up having to make some tape shims to reduce the play.

In contrast, my Contax CZ Distagon 2,8/28 T* never had this problem. It is also a considerably better-built lens, not to mention much heavier.

I recently received my Speed Booster (EF-to-E) and Fotodiox C/Y-to-EF adapters, and the combination works perfectly. Not to suggest that this part has any relevance to your Metabones C/Y mount locking issue.

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:37 PM
inglis
• •
p.34 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

LeadyGonzales, What is that you found there!
I only see these affairs in books!

This SB is so many sided as I begin to try to figure out the medium format look.
I need to find an appropriate book!

Mamiya 120 f4 via Canon SB on Nex 5n

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
perost

p.34 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

DtEW wrote:
perost, the play is probably a problem with the Contax CZ Planar 1,7/50 T*. I have the same lens and had a similar play issue with it using a Fotodiox adapter. I ended up having to make some tape shims to reduce the play.

Interesting, did you just put some tape on the mount, or something more elaborate?

Apr 25, 2013 at 08:01 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.34 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

Focus on the left eye

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:56 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.34 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

And the parents.