Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
31
       32              47       48       end
  

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster
  
 
itaintrite
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #1 · p.31 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster


Patiently waiting for MD version... Impatiently looking at EF...


Apr 09, 2013 at 02:32 AM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #2 · p.31 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster


Zeiss 24mm E or a speedbooster?


Apr 10, 2013 at 01:20 PM
CronoDL
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #3 · p.31 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster


Hey Arnold, how's it going?

As you may remember, I have the SB and the Zeiss 24. For the past few weeks I've only been using manual lenses with the SB. Personally, I'd get an SB and spend the difference on a new manual lens. Also, you have an impressive collection of manual lenses already, so a SB makes sense.



Apr 10, 2013 at 02:06 PM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #4 · p.31 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster


CronoDL wrote:
.....

Here are two samples with the 50mm 1.8 and SB. These are shot wide open using MF, so please be kind. Also, I'm not a portrait photographer by any means! Feel free to ask questions!
..


Those look pretty damn good to me, I'm getting more and more tempted.



Apr 10, 2013 at 03:17 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #5 · p.31 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster


CronoDL wrote:
Hey Arnold, how's it going?

As you may remember, I have the SB and the Zeiss 24. For the past few weeks I've only been using manual lenses with the SB. Personally, I'd get an SB and spend the difference on a new manual lens. Also, you have an impressive collection of manual lenses already, so a SB makes sense.


Thanks for letting me try it. I still have to go through my test shots. Did you find any good ones in your 6?

Now the question, c/y or eos.



Apr 10, 2013 at 03:39 PM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #6 · p.31 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster


ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Thanks for letting me try it. I still have to go through my test shots. Did you find any good ones in your 6?

Now the question, c/y or eos.


Is there any issue with using the EOS SB with C/Y lenses and EOS adapter?



Apr 10, 2013 at 03:49 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #7 · p.31 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster


Some chips won't provide aperture info. Also you're adding adapter variances to the equation. These are minor though.

Infinity setting is adjustable so that's no problem.



Apr 10, 2013 at 05:08 PM
CronoDL
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #8 · p.31 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster


I'd go with the EOS adapter only because you'll be able to adapt more lenses from different mounts. Also, if there's a possibility that you might use EOS lenses, then the choice is obvious. There's apparently more Speed Boosters in the making for mounts such as MD and maybe FD. Those have even shorter flange distances.


Apr 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #9 · p.31 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster


I decided on the c/y to stop my lens buying. I also see that leica r and oly lenses have problems on the eos. Now I'm on the hunt for m42 lenses


Apr 10, 2013 at 08:55 PM
ebookman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #10 · p.31 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster


This is all very interesting but difficult for me to process. The popular wisdom was to never get a chunk of brand X glass between the film plane and the prime lens. This is why adapters with glass were to be avoided at all cost. It is also one of the reasons to avoid 2X and 3X lens magnifiers. Now along comes these Metabone SB's and the built-in optics are embraced with enthusiasm without all the nitpicking optical evaluations applied to the prime lenses themselves. What am I missing? Are these optics so pure as to as to be actually be both transparent and benign to the lens?


Apr 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sebboh
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #11 · p.31 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster


ebookman wrote:
This is all very interesting but difficult for me to process. The popular wisdom was to never get a chunk of brand X glass between the film plane and the prime lens. This is why adapters with glass were to be avoided at all cost. It is also one of the reasons to avoid 2X and 3X lens magnifiers. Now along comes these Metabone SB's and the built-in optics are embraced with enthusiasm without all the nitpicking optical evaluations applied to the prime lenses themselves. What am I missing? Are these optics so pure as to as to be actually
...Show more

rather than a single crappy piece of glass these have a few multicoated elements that . also these function as an optical condensor rather than magnifier, which is what typical adapters with glass and teleconverters are. this means the adapter should actually be able to improve performance versus a glassless adapter over part of the image – like viewing an image at 50% instead of 100%. obviously the adapters aren't matched to each lens so the improvement will be in the central part of the image and there will probably be a decline towards the edges with most lenses.



Apr 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #12 · p.31 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster


it's a telecompressor or focal reducer or a magnifying glass which compresses the light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_nuvPKIi8



Apr 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM
ebookman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #13 · p.31 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster


Thank you. Great responses. The Youtube video removed all doubt.


Apr 11, 2013 at 02:15 PM
CronoDL
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #14 · p.31 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster


For me, the fact that I get one extra stop of light and full frame DOF overrides any negative effects that the adapter might bring. The negatives that I've read about may be added distortion and weaker corner performance than when using the same lens on a full frame camera. It's not a problem for what I like to shoot (and I haven't "tested" my images for such imperfections), but it can certainly be a deal breaker for many photographers. I'm just happy that I can get the extra stop and full frame DOF in such a small package.


Apr 11, 2013 at 03:33 PM
ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #15 · p.31 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster


ebookman wrote:
Thank you. Great responses. The Youtube video removed all doubt.


Old hat for astronomers it seems.


http://www.astronomics.com/focal-reducer-field-flattener-combos_c269.aspx


The camera store sb review



http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2013/04/nex-7-with-speed-booster-vs-nikon-d600.html



Apr 12, 2013 at 05:56 PM
LightShow
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #16 · p.31 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster


CronoDL wrote:
I'd go with the EOS adapter only because you'll be able to adapt more lenses from different mounts. Also, if there's a possibility that you might use EOS lenses, then the choice is obvious. There's apparently more Speed Boosters in the making for mounts such as MD and maybe FD. Those have even shorter flange distances.

I contacted Metabones about the possibility of a universal Speedbooster with adapters for different mounts, this was the reply:Yes! We have planning to make it kind of adapter….
but we are very busy now…

Pls wait…..

Thank you!

Alex
GBI Ltd



Apr 16, 2013 at 06:38 PM
ISO1600
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.31 #17 · p.31 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster


whoaaaaaa, universal would be great.
As somebody who only has EF and AI right now, but has no real allegiance to any one mount.... and I'm considering a NEX-6, this is great news.

Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 07:16 PM · View previous versions



Apr 16, 2013 at 07:12 PM
sebboh
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #18 · p.31 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster


woo hoo!


Apr 16, 2013 at 07:14 PM
buggz2k
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #19 · p.31 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster


My "kingdom" for a Fuji XF mount to Canon EOS mount WITH electronics.
Not caring about AF, just want enough 'trons to power up my focus via wire EOS lenses.
Thanks!



Apr 16, 2013 at 08:08 PM
LeadyGonzales
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.31 #20 · p.31 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster


well.... speedboosting, does also mean, that you cannot use a 1.4 lens at bright light without a grey filter

nex-6 can only do iso100 and 1/4000

... thats not enough ...

for me the speed boosting effect is bad

L.



Apr 16, 2013 at 08:58 PM
1       2       3              30      
31
       32              47       48       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              30      
31
       32              47       48       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password