Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       23              47       48       end

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster

alundeb wrote:
OTOH a cheaper generic SB without EF electronics would be useless to me since I want to use EF lenses also. So it would not be universally generic. But it would of course be nice for you who don't intend to use EF lenses to have the other option. The other question is, did anybody successfully mount a Canon converted 58/1.2 without rear glass issues?

well yes, but you already have the EF mount one. there is obviously a use for electronic versions. i don't have a s use for an electronic version and i haven't bought anything yet and might not.

somebody earlier in this thread did (the issue was with electronic contacts not glass interference i thought), i didn't see any wide open samples yet though.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:59 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.22 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster

SoulNibbler wrote:
grrr, no cheap way to go m42, unless I'm completely wrong, the ALPA m42 adapters seem to be very rare and expensive.

Wait for the Contax SpeedBooster, it's coming, will be the cheapest and supports m42 adaptation via cheap mounts.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Squae

p.22 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster

Hi guys,

Was initially looking to use C/Y lens with the SB, however I was reading somewhere that the aperture priority doesnt really work properly with some of the lens, and the shutter speeds were playing up (with Nex 5n).

Is this an issue people have heard of and is there any way to use some of the non, nikon/canon/sigma/tamron lenses without these issues?

I would like to use either the CY, ZE or CV lens but a smooth working aperture priority is very imporant.

I am putting on a 5n and and am looking to start a new set of lens now (I had previously ear marked the CY 28-85 as my first lens, anyone got some feedback?)

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:20 PM
serhan_
• •
p.22 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster

No problem with aperture priority with CY/CV lenses on nex 5, 5n, & 6 that I have/had. The issue is min shutter speed which is set to 1/30 sec for nex 5, 1/60 sec for nex 5n & 6 before camera pushes the iso. You cannot change that, so with longer lenses it is more of an issue to hand hold esp if you are not using a viewfinder. Although I don't have the CY 28-85 zoom, it might be too big/heavy for nex cameras, maybe CY 35-70mm might be better with nex bodies.

Also I had a similar experience on e-p3 with the 75-300mm 4-6.3 af lens. The camera selects a lower shutter speed than my hands can handle at 300mm f/6.3 so I had to switch shutter priority. It is less of an issue now with the OMD stabilization.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Squae

p.22 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster

So does this mean when using the SB the shutter speed in aperture priority works fine with the CY / CV lenses in normal/sunny conditions but in low light conditions it drops the shutter speed too low? At 1/60 is hand shake an issue ?

If so does this mean by using a larger aperture/faster lens that the aperture priority will work perfect as the speed wont need to drop 1/60?

In regards to zooms do people know / think that sharper results would come from a Nikon 35-70 2.8 a CY 35-70 3.4, or some form of new lens with image stability?

I am trying to work out which lens family to use on my 5n, am completely lost with the best results so far, any advice on which lens seems to be performing well would be great!

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:59 PM
serhan_
• •
p.22 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster

Yes, it is hand shake issue. Usually it is a problem with low light. Bigger aperture helps but it doesn't prevent it in low light.

Squae wrote:
So does this mean when using the SB the shutter speed in aperture priority works fine with the CY / CV lenses in normal/sunny conditions but in low light conditions it drops the shutter speed too low? At 1/60 is hand shake an issue ?

If so does this mean by using a larger aperture/faster lens that the aperture priority will work perfect as the speed wont need to drop 1/60?

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:16 AM
DamonJoyce
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster

Can someone post a few pics of a Nex with a SB and Leica R mount lens on it? I'm trying to get a sense of how bulky something like this would be.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.22 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster

I don't have a picture of mine w/ the speedbooster yet, but here is one with a regular adapter. The Speedbooster is about 25% thinner than the regular adapter (looks better too). The lens is the Macro-Elmarit 60.

DSC04890.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:55 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.22 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster

sebboh wrote:
well yes, but you already have the EF mount one. there is obviously a use for electronic versions. i don't have a s use for an electronic version and i haven't bought anything yet and might not.

somebody earlier in this thread did (the issue was with electronic contacts not glass interference i thought), i didn't see any wide open samples yet though.

Yes, I mounted one and took several photos. My 58/1.2 was converted using a Jim Buchanan kit. Jim uses very wide adapters compared to the ones I've bought for other lenses and it seems as though I was getting pin shorting. In fact the adapter was a little loose so on occasion I was able to take photos. I posted several at ~2.8 or so. The images at 1.2 were pretty horrible due to the play in the adapter I would think. I have a couple of other JB converted lenses that fit well with no play and they would not work at all. It woudl be pretty easy to grid off a little of the adapter where the pins are to eliminate the shorting.

Mike

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Squae

p.22 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster

Is it mainly a night time issue thinking that indoors usually a short focal length is needed anyway?

Also I am assuming that the CY adaptor hasnt been released yet, do people think that these lenses will be very good on the SB?

Finally is there much of a difference with IQ with the zoom lenses bwetween new and old, am I going to be better off going a Nikon 24-70 2.8F over a contax CY 35-70

Any input would be great spent many hours trying to make a decision on this!

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AhamB
• • • •
p.22 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster

In optics, "new" doesn't necessarily mean better. The Contax 35-70/3.4 has the reputation of being as sharp as primes in the same focal range or even beating them. It competes well with the new Zeiss Distagon 35/2, for example. The push-pull zoom mechanism is a bit of a weak point though (sometimes too loose or a bit stiff).

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:18 PM
inglis
• •
p.22 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster

Using a cy 35-70 outside in daylight, I did not think it was vignetting. But now on an interior wall, I see that it is slightly dark in the corners at 35mm up to 5.6. Clears up by 8. None at 70mm.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:32 PM
artur5
• •
p.22 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
Is this a definite thing? If so, I'll hold off getting the SB R to X or the SB Alpa to X adapter.
AFAIK, neither mounts seem to have many lens adapters available to them (as in Nikon F to Alpa or Nikon F to R.)
For good a reason, adapters are more commonly made so R and Alpa lenses can be used on other systems.
Can anyone explain the logic for making the Alpa speedbooster one of the first ones to go public?
From a sales point of view, wouldn't a Nikon F (Ai/Ai-s/AF-d most likely) to E/X adapter make more
...Show more

I don't know if the reason is that the Metabones owner is an Alpa fanboy but truth is that you can use Nikon, Leica-R, M42 and other lenses on the Alpa SB versions with an adapter ring, while the Nikon versions. will be restricted to Nikkor native ( or leitaxed ) lenses.
Yes, I know, Alpa adapters for those mounts have been out of production maybe for 40 years, hence not easy to find at a reasonable price because nowadays they're considered more a collector's item than a useful tool.
Taking this fact into account, a Canon EOS version without electronics (i.e. cheaper ) will make more sense; there're plenty of cheap adapters from Eos to Leica, Nikon, OM, Contax, etc.. ( unless, like in my case, you own already one or more Alpa lenses, which aren't usable on Canon because of the shorter registry distance of the Alpa mount ).

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Squae

p.22 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster

Does the "dumb" adaptor, only lose the AF ?

AP and everything else still works 100%

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Squae

p.22 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster

inglis wrote:
Using a cy 35-70 outside in daylight, I did not think it was vignetting. But now on an interior wall, I see that it is slightly dark in the corners at 35mm up to 5.6. Clears up by 8. None at 70mm.

I am assuming this is using an adaptor to a EF SB, and not to a specific CY SB. Do people think the lens will perform very differently, in regards to vignetting etc, on the proper CY adaptor?

Besides the vignetting how did the lens look?

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:44 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.22 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster

Squae wrote:
Does the "dumb" adaptor, only lose the AF ?

AP and everything else still works 100%

No, with a "dumb" adapter you will not be able to control the aperture of EF / TS-E lenses at all. It will remain in the position it is when you mount the lens. There is one trick if you have a Canon camera. If you mount the lens on The Canon camera, select the aperture you want and press the DOF preview button, you can now disconnect the lens while holding the DOF preview button, and the aperture will remain in that position.

!!! Caution: removing the lens with power on may damage the lens or camera. !!!
It has never happened to me though.

For lenses with an aperture ring, Aperture priority will work.

For lenses with an aperture lever ony, you may be able to control the aperture if the adapter between the EF mount and the lens has an aperture control slider (like one of the Novoflex Nikon - EOS models)

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:26 AM
inglis
• •
p.22 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster

The CY Contax 35-70 3.4 on Nex 5n via Canon SB vignettes at 35mm 3.4 in dim light, which is not so noticeable at 3.4 in daylight. In dim light it is much better by 8.

35mm 3.4

35mm 8

35mm 3.4

35mm 8

70mm 3.4

70mm 8

70mm 3.4

70mm 8

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM
serhan_
• •
p.22 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster

Thanks Inglis for those samples. My Sigma 24-60mm has a similar vignetting at 24mm indoors. How is the sharpness?

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:52 AM
inglis
• •
p.22 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster

CY 35-70 3.4 on Canon SB on Nex 5n,

at 35mm f8

at 70mm f8

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:28 PM
DamonJoyce
• •
p.22 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster

Taylor Sherman wrote:
I don't have a picture of mine w/ the speedbooster yet, but here is one with a regular adapter. The Speedbooster is about 25% thinner than the regular adapter (looks better too). The lens is the Macro-Elmarit 60.

I meant to say thanks for this earlier!

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:00 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password