Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       18              47       48       end
  

Archive 2013 · Metabones Speed Booster
  
 
mcbroomf
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Metabones Speed Booster


alundeb wrote:
A shame the NEX cameras don't report anything below 1.0, you should actually get 0.9
Try Aperture priority, and you should find "1.0" at the two widest settings, one of them is actually 0.9
That is how it worked with my Canon 50 mm 1.0 L, but that lens with the SB is another story.


Yes, you're right.... Thanks



Jan 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM
DomValladolid
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Metabones Speed Booster


Has anyone tried an Nikon F-mount with Nikon to Canon converter + SB ? I can't seem to wait for a proper F-mount version and besides all my lenses are MF (AI/AIS)


Jan 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM
mortyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Metabones Speed Booster


Alundeb, good going! Please try some Zeiss lenses, I'm very curious if they look good with the SB.


Jan 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
alundeb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Metabones Speed Booster


DomValladolid wrote:
Has anyone tried an Nikon F-mount with Nikon to Canon converter + SB ? I can't seem to wait for a proper F-mount version and besides all my lenses are MF (AI/AIS)


It works!

I have the Planar 50 1.4 ZF.2 on it right now, and will bring it with me today and see if I can get a real photo with the "look".



Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
cyberstudio
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Metabones Speed Booster


mcbroomf wrote:
I'd mentioned that the 58/1.2 Rokkor wouldn't allow the shutter to open unless I wiggled it a bit (the mount to the SB is slightly loose), a 24mm VFC Rokkor that Jim converted for me, as well as a 24/1.4 FD that I bought converted and appears to have one of Jim's mounts (wide adapter) sit firmly and I can't get the shutter to open at all. I would guess that it shorting a couple of pins that the firmware doesn't like. Tonight I'll tape the pins to see if they start working. If they do perhaps Metabones could fix
...Show more

Nah, not firing is the correct behaviour here. It forces the user to tape the contacts and prevent a short circuit from taking place. Why would any 100% mechanical lens want to make contact with the electronic contacts? (Pun intended.)



Jan 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
mortyb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Metabones Speed Booster


Sweet, this I'm looking forward to.


Jan 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Metabones Speed Booster


alundeb wrote:
The adapter really looks short, it feels more like using an M adapter than an N adapter.

The design is also very nice, one end matching the mount and the other matching the lens.
...


Sweet. Thanks for all the test shots, very insightful.

However, what I would love to see is how the total image compares between the SB on a NEX and the same lens pared with a FF sensor - ultimately I think this is what will matter most to me. If I want sharp corners for a landscape my OM-D can give me that in spades with the current m4/3 line-up, but I want to see how out of focus areas look. Will it have that same "pop" and subject isolation that a larger FF sensor provides?

For example, this is a shot I took the other day with the 6D and Zeiss C/Y 85 2.8 wide open. What I want to see is whether the SB will yield the same "look" with the same lens....








Jan 26, 2013 at 01:28 PM
inglis
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Metabones Speed Booster


Mike
Thanks for all these details on lenses fitting the SB.
Are your CY adapters ones with electric contacts?
If so, are adapters with electric contacts better in order not to short the adapter?
John
A SB test thread has started at mflenses, so far with similar but less detailed OM results,
http://forum.mflenses.com/metabones-speed-booster-test-thread



Jan 26, 2013 at 04:29 PM
mcbroomf
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Metabones Speed Booster


John, no, none of my adapters have chips.
Bo, I guess that makes sense, I just wonder why they work OK on an EOS body.. any idea?
Michael, I have been out all morning taking paired shots (much of the time) with a 1Ds3 or 5D2 and the same lens on the Nex7. I'll download tonight.



Jan 26, 2013 at 06:03 PM
cyberstudio
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Metabones Speed Booster


Well you mentioned you had to wiggle the lens a little bit, so I guess the metal is just dangerously close to the contacts on EOS but actually makes contacts on Speed Booster. (They are spring-loaded pins, so there's got to be variations between different springs.)


Jan 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



cyberstudio
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Metabones Speed Booster


michael49 wrote:
However, what I would love to see is how the total image compares between the SB on a NEX and the same lens pared with a FF sensor - ultimately I think this is what will matter most to me. If I want sharp corners for a landscape my OM-D can give me that in spades with the current m4/3 line-up, but I want to see how out of focus areas look. Will it have that same "pop" and subject isolation that a larger FF sensor provides?


Good news: the upcoming m4/3 version optimizes for the smaller image circle required and had sharper corners.



Jan 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
DomValladolid
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Metabones Speed Booster


alundeb wrote:
It works!

I have the Planar 50 1.4 ZF.2 on it right now, and will bring it with me today and see if I can get a real photo with the "look".


I can't wait to see some posted pics Let me know if you have issue with infinity focus



Jan 27, 2013 at 07:26 AM
Dudewithoutape
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Metabones Speed Booster


cyberstudio wrote:
Good news: the upcoming m4/3 version optimizes for the smaller image circle required and had sharper corners.


Is it a .5 converter then (for ff eqv)? Sorry on phone right now so limited internet.



Jan 27, 2013 at 08:21 AM
alundeb
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Metabones Speed Booster


The takeaway from the test image crops, is that you don't get the same "pop" from what is in focus. The SB adds a glow, some USM (8 px 25%) will be necessary to try to make it look like without the SB Adapter. Note that this is for Category 1 comparisons (vs same lens on FF camera).

Infinity focus is indeed a problem with the Planar 50 ZF.2 and Novoflex adapters. The adapter with aperture lever is worst


Planar 50 ZF.2 at 35 mm f/1.0. USM applied.









Jan 27, 2013 at 09:54 AM
mcbroomf
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Metabones Speed Booster


I uploaded some images @50% (res, not crops). LR4 default inport, no sharpening on export to jpg.
I have a few to add labels (the airplane, brainfart on lenses and setting at the moment).
Labels say it all I hope, all Nex7 with SB
Lenses used; Leica R 28 and 60 Elmarit, Rokkor 58/1.2 (only worked for a while) Rokinon 35/1.4, C/Y 18mm, OM 90/2, Canon FD 35mm T/S
I hope I got the lebels right I'm doing this in a hurry. If some are wrong (eg apertures reversed etc) I'll fix later today or tomorrow.
Heading out soon for some more comparisons.
http://www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield/speed_booster&page=all
Click on original to get the biggest image

PS. 1st couple of photos with the Nex 7 I didn't notice I'd bumped it to Auto ISO so they are at 800.. grr...



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
cyberstudio
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Metabones Speed Booster


Dudewithoutape wrote:
Is it a .5 converter then (for ff eqv)? Sorry on phone right now so limited internet.


No, still 0.7x, but then the advantage is DX lenses + SB would barely cover the m4/3 image circle, opening up some ultrawide possibilities.



Jan 27, 2013 at 09:13 PM
DomValladolid
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Metabones Speed Booster


mcbroomf wrote:
I uploaded some images @50% (res, not crops). LR4 default inport, no sharpening on export to jpg.
I have a few to add labels (the airplane, brainfart on lenses and setting at the moment).
Labels say it all I hope, all Nex7 with SB
Lenses used; Leica R 28 and 60 Elmarit, Rokkor 58/1.2 (only worked for a while) Rokinon 35/1.4, C/Y 18mm, OM 90/2, Canon FD 35mm T/S
I hope I got the lebels right I'm doing this in a hurry. If some are wrong (eg apertures reversed etc) I'll fix later today or tomorrow.
Heading out soon for some more comparisons.
http://www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield/speed_booster&page=all
Click on
...Show more

Thanks for the photo upload. I have noticed a warm cast with the SB + Nex7 as compared to the neutral color of the 1ds. Is it just a WB issue or they're on the same settings?



Jan 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Metabones Speed Booster


alundeb wrote:
The takeaway from the test image crops, is that you don't get the same "pop" from what is in focus. The SB adds a glow, some USM (8 px 25%) will be necessary to try to make it look like without the SB Adapter. Note that this is for Category 1 comparisons (vs same lens on FF camera)....


The "glow" you mention was evident in some of Roger's images from his LensRentals review of the SB. If its easily correctable in LR then it won't bother me, but the "glow" that was present in his images seemed like something that might not be so easy to fix.



Jan 28, 2013 at 01:22 AM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Metabones Speed Booster


mcbroomf wrote:
...Heading out soon for some more comparisons.
...


Thanks so much for the comparisons shots (especially in the frigid weather )

If you can find the time what I'd really love to see is some wide aperture/subject isolation comparison shots between the SB and FF.



Jan 28, 2013 at 01:24 AM
mcbroomf
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Metabones Speed Booster


Michael, I added 2 more pairs from the 35/1.4 Rokinon at the front of the gallery. The photos of the fishing boat doesn't isolate very well as it's so far away, but the tail of the airplane does. There is also a pair of the boat taken with the OM90 at F2. I don't care for the bokeh from the 90/N7 combo and was surprised to see it.

Mike



Jan 28, 2013 at 08:54 AM
1       2       3              16      
17
       18              47       48       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       18              47       48       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password