Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

badlydrawnboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

I have an Epson R3000 that I've used sporadically over the past few months (got busy and didn't have much time for prints). I'm making some prints now for a project, and the R3000 is taking a long time to print. More specifically, it takes a long time to *start* printing once the command is sent from the computer. I hear all kinds of clicking and whirring noises as it goes through prep; this can take as long as 2-3 minutes. I used to associate that with maybe the first time I print after switching from matte to photo black, but it's doing that regularly now.

Once it actually starts printing, it prints well and at a normal speed. It's just the incredibly long "prep" period that has me scratching my head.

Is this normal? If not, what might be causing the problem?

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:26 AM
philhill

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

That sound is the pressure system agitating the ink. The cartridges are stationary in the R3000, so they arenít agitated during normal printing. Itís mostly normal.

However, there have been updates that appear to have reduced the frequency of these agitation cycles. Both firmware and drivers have been updated, so Iím not sure which one addressed this particular issue.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:18 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

philhill wrote:
That sound is the pressure system agitating the ink. The cartridges are stationary in the R3000, so they arenít agitated during normal printing. Itís mostly normal.

However, there have been updates that appear to have reduced the frequency of these agitation cycles. Both firmware and drivers have been updated, so Iím not sure which one addressed this particular issue.

That's helpful. I wasn't aware of firmware updates. I'll check into that, because I'm running the latest driver.

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

I've experienced the same thing with the R3000. Are any of your inks on the verge of needing replacement?

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #5 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

Mr Joe wrote:
I've experienced the same thing with the R3000. Are any of your inks on the verge of needing replacement?

Yes, they were. I've just installed fresh cartridges. Haven't had a chance to see if the issue persists yet.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

Once the fresh ink did it's thing, I didn't have any more issues. BTW, I found that atlex.com has the best prices on ink.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM
alexkiowa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

It sounds like the firmware problem, Have you tried to reseat the carts?
atlex.com indeed has great price on ink. I am using Inkrepublic R3000 CISS to save money, it's very easy to use and simply slot into your printer once and CISS can stay in place permanently. Refilling is done at the bottle end of the external tubing and this can avoid air introduction and unnecessary wear and tear on microchips and cartridge seals. (unlike other R3000 refillable carts)

Jan 16, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

alexkiowa - are you creating custom color profiles to deal with the new ink?
How is the archival quality of the ink rated?

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:54 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #9 · Epson R3000 takes forever to print

If you're using its WiFi to connect to it, be advised that it's significantly slower than its USB connection. You didn't say how you had this hooked up.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password