Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 -- why so little attention?

warthog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 -- why so little attention?

Preface: I'm a Canon guy, who's spent almost no time researching alt gear -- most of my shooting is with a 5d2 and big Canon lenses. I bought a Lumix GF5X kit (body + 14-42 power lens) on an impulse from Amazon, as the price was good and I wanted to play with a micro 4/3 rig. I got it at a price that would let me sell it on eBay for more than I paid for it if I didn't like it, so I dove in with none of the research I'd usually do on a camera.

Today was my first day to really play with it, and it left me impressed. No, the image quality isn't as good as what I get out of my 5d2 + L lenses, but I can't fit my Canon DSLR gear in my pocket, and my Canon stuff cost almost 10 times more.

I know I've only scratched the surface on what this new gear can do, so I came here to see if there were any threads discussing the camera and how to get the most out of it. To my surprise I found a sum total of ONE post about this model. That left me wondering: why is nobody using this camera? Is it not as good as what's out there, but I don't know it because I've not played with the other systems? Is Panasonic just not as popular as some of the bigger brands? Is it too expensive at MSRP for what it is (I'd have never paid retail for it, either)? Something else?

Here's a sample picture I took with it. Based on my initial results, it seems fairly representative of an unretouched .jpg out of the camera (all I did was re-size it to get under the file-size filter). I know the sample is a bit dark, but the day was dark and foggy here, so I wanted a darker / bluer exposure -- I like that the camera did it without losing detail. This shot was hand-held, with the ISO pushed up a bit to account for the low light.

Does this shot seem fairly typical of what other sub-$400 mirrorless sytems can do, or is better / worse? Thanks for any thoughts.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:17 AM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 -- why so little attention?

I can't comment on the GF5, but I can tell you that if you are impressed with this result from the rather poor 14-42 kit lens than you will be blown away if you pick up a couple of good primes. I am certain that the camera can far outperform that lens. Like you, a couple years back I picked up a (used) GF1 and kit lens to see what it was all about. But then I bought a used Pana-Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 and -- OMG! Added a Pana-Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 and used the Canon gear very little after that. Now I have two Olympus OM-D EM-5 bodies and more great lenses from Panasonic and Olympus, and have sold the Canon gear. You will find many others here have followed similar paths.

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 05:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 -- why so little attention?

The GF5 doesn't get a lot of press around here because it's much more consumer oriented, and it has a very old sensor in m4/3 land. It's still capable of very nice photos, but compared to the Panasonic GX1 and G5, or the Olympus E-PL5 or E-PM2, it's a generation or two behind in image quality. Then there's the Olympus OM-D and Panasonic GH3 that have great image quality and more prosumer/professional grade bodies with weathersealing and lots of controls. Plus, the GH3 and OM-D sensor (which is also in the E-PL5 and E-PM2) are actually not too far off from your 5D II in overall image quality. Higher dynamic range actually. Only thing the 5D II has over the OM-D in image quality is a little lower noise (about 2/3 stop better) and higher resolution.

But yeah...put some nice lenses (and m4/3 has a log of GREAT lenses) on it and you'll be blown away.

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Sam tran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 -- why so little attention?

No matter how great of our DSLR, if we can't carry with us most of the time, it can't produce anything. I still keep my 5D in a closet - since I get my hand on OM-D; because it's like night vs day to carry just one full frame body & lens, compares to an OM-D body with 3 lens, a flash and backup battery - and still weight less. The IQ on OM-D may be 10% less than 5D/5D2, but I have more keep images than the 5D, and someday (soon), it will be a full frame OM-x, which I think (and hope) that theIQ would be at least equal to the 5D classic, then I will be happy....

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:30 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 -- why so little attention?

Successor is coming...

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-gf5-fading-out-from-us-stores-successor-to-be-announced-soon/

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:51 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password