Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · HS Senior Session

protiusmime
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Senior Session

This is from a recent session in Mt. Shasta City park. Your critique is very welcome. My nerves are steel and my heart is understanding, so it is excellent for you to be specific. Thanks.

protiusmime 2013

protiusmime 2013

protiusmime 2013

protiusmime 2013

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 03:00 AM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM
robsuh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Senior Session

OK, Nerves of Steel. The photos are getting way overprocessed as I scroll down. It starts off great and ends with some blue eyed alien.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Senior Session

The first 3 are closer than what I personally like to shoot, but if you and your clients like them, I wont argue.

The last one is really kinda bad. Way too much post processing. Plus I would crop down a bit so you dont have all the wasted space around here, especially that chair on the right side of the frame.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Senior Session

Clean and sharp. I'd like to see a mix of tight and wide, but the first few are sharp and well done. Eyes might be a bit processed in the first few (but very believable), uber-cranked in the last one. Photos are too big on my laptop, but that might not be the target for all.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:07 AM
protiusmime
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Senior Session

Awesome, and awesome. Thank you all, thus far, for the feedback. I do have medium and wide shots. I am presenting the closest for detail. And for the last in this series, I pulled clarity down to max, leaving the eyes in the other direction for effect only. I realize it is vverry processed, but by design for fun. The client actually liked it in comp. to other shots. The client's eyes are true blue as I have every seen. A photographer's dream to photograph. Thank you for the very accepted critiques. And my nerves are still in tact. No problem.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:53 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Senior Session

I like the first 3, nice lighting. The tight shots are well done. Pity about the chipped nail polish in the 2nd. You could also consider touching up the blood vessels in her eye in the 2nd.

The 4th looks a bit soft?

I'd like to see a variety of poses and a mix of tight and wider (3/4 or full body)
- the 5th isn't a bad pose but has been way overprocessed (skin smoothing + radioactive eyes); you could also move a little to get the chair out of the BG

EDIT ignore my comments on the 5th photo; the OP replaced this image with a different one for some reason

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Senior Session

I find the dirty fingers and poor fingernails spoil the pretty face.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:59 AM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Senior Session

I have to second Chris' comment - It's not up to you how your client shows up for the shoot but the the hands should not be in the pose in this condition. Kinda' jumps out at you if not in the first shot, then no later than in photo #2. The model does have pretty eyes though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Senior Session

Most of these shots are over-exposed to the point that the red channel is clipping in the face.
I'm not sure if it was the lighting or your post-processing (I suspect both) but the eyes are very dark on these. If you were using a reflector or off-camera flash, you probably should have lowered it a bit to get light in the eyes. Some of this effect could be due to your lightening the skin and not the eyes. I just think it does not look very flattering to have the whites of the eyes a dull grey while the skin is glowing.
If you are going to get this close, I would recommend staying at the long end of that zoom. 50mm is wide for a portrait, particularly for close-up portraits like these.
On the plus side, I think you have the DOF about right although I certainly wouldn't go any shallower at this distance.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:26 AM
protiusmime
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Senior Session

Eyeball, et al: Thank you for your comments. This is what I was hoping for. I think it is mostly a slight overpush on exposure. I left the eyes as is and did a few blemish removals on the skin, but no other surface blur or the like. The lighting was the low sun and one bounce umbrella. The hands were a problem. She is a typical basketballer and kid at heart. Hand washing was overlooked. Nail polish: I actually PP some of the shots to fix. Lastly, I am surprised that no one thus far pointed out the biggy on #4, second curtain shadow. I am not filtering these for best of group because I want to get the straight-up critique even on the obvious. Your help is appreciated. Thanks again.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:47 AM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Senior Session

These pics are posted rather large. That means many of us need to scroll to see the whole picture. 800 (or even 1000) pixels on the long side usually works well.

Cropping through the fingers or the flower in her hair is usually not best.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:44 AM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Senior Session

Great series, you definitely captured nice detail in the eye area. Based on these, that seems to have been one of your primary areas of interest.

Other than what others and OP have mentioned, I'd also maybe PP some of those hair flyaways (just the major ones - some of them look very easy to fix). I'd also work a different pose in #4, as I think the pose makes her arm look huge. Maybe that's just me, though

In the last photo, the shadow on the right eye distracts me a bit, especially since the shadow of her eyelashes is so crisp.

Also, the ring is distracting to me in #2 and #3, kinda pulls me away from the eyes.

I had written a paragraph about the makeup, but figured that was too much to get into

I bet the subject loves these photos. Love those eyes!

Edited on Jan 14, 2013 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Senior Session

Howdy,

Quick Comments:

I suggest reposting these photos at 800px tall as they are very large as shown and difficult to see at a glance at the current large size.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:28 PM
jwp721
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HS Senior Session

Maybe if you posted larger images we could see them better?

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Gray
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HS Senior Session

I'd like to see these but won't take the time to scroll across each page.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:01 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HS Senior Session

Interesting, the trend seems to be toward environmental type portraiture and these are all close up!
Douglas

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · HS Senior Session

Jim Rickards wrote:
These pics are posted rather large. That means many of us need to scroll to see the whole picture. 800 (or even 1000) pixels on the long side usually works well.

I'm seeing only the eyes on a laptop - a little over exposed but they are sharp

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
diondra_cymone

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · HS Senior Session

There's a floating green thingy at her hairline in #2.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:34 AM
exposedme
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · HS Senior Session

Talking about in your face. lol

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · HS Senior Session

the pictures are really sharp and have great lighting. I just think they are too up close and I can see that you had a lovely green background, you could have made use of it

Edited on Jan 19, 2013 at 07:09 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password