Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Off-Camera Flash Help

turtile

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off-Camera Flash Help

Does anyone have a cost effective way to move the flash off camera so it's pointing downwards right over the lens? I have an SB-900 that is too tall to project onto the subject at close range. I'd be willing to do a custom setup if anyone can share their ideas.

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:35 PM
wendy Bennett

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off-Camera Flash Help

There are many flash bracket examples here on the macro forum. Just look around and you will see all different kinds of set ups...You can also do a Google search for Macro flash brackets...

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off-Camera Flash Help

Think you're referring to a simple off shoe camera cord, for the Canon system it is the OCE3, not sure with Nikon. They are priced in the neighbourhood of $100 new, maybe a bit less. But a quick search of Ebay will turn up tons of cheap third party alternatives that go for less than $20. If you have a popup flash then you can also set it to master and have SB-900 act as slave and you can hand hold it or put it on some kind of bracket. Then there's the PC sync cord option. Probably the cheapest though there's usually an upper limit as to the speed of the flash allowed. But these go for under $10. If you want to get into radio popper and unattached category then you're going to start shelling out money. Look at the sticky thread in the macro forum showing people's setups to get a good idea of some options.

Hope this was helpful,
Paul

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:44 PM
turtile

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off-Camera Flash Help

Thanks for your help!

I looked at the setups but I'm not sure what to buy to create them. I'm leaving in a week so I have to order the parts ASAP. I have to test/practice with them first!

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password