Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Doug C.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Its been a workhorse for me with no issues whatsoever but now it won't work at all. The viewfinder is dark and the autofocus moves but doesn't lock. Has anyone else had this issue? Not getting any kind of error message.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Doug C. wrote:
... The viewfinder is dark....

Something unusual is happening, for sure. Aside from a general lack of light, I can think of four things that make the finder dark: (i) the lens is stopped down to a very small aperture; (ii) the mirror is up (or fell off); (iii) for 1D-series bodies, the finder shutter is closed; and, (iv) the lens cap is on. Does it do this on more than one camera? If the aperture is stopped way down, you should be able to see it by looking into the front element while it's on the camera.

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Doug C.
• • •
p.1 #3 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Yes on two different cameras. It looks like the aperture may be stopped down and locked up as changing the aperture does nothing. Is there a way to release it?

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

If the diaphragm is stuck, a trip to Canon Service is the only alternative. My 17-55 os of 2007 vintage. So far, so good...

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Does sound like the diaphragm is stuck closed , but I'm surprised its not giving an error. Usually anything like that comes up with err 01

But probably best to send in

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Doug C. wrote:
Yes on two different cameras. It looks like the aperture may be stopped down and locked up as changing the aperture does nothing. Is there a way to release it?

So, when the lens is off camera, hold it up to a light and look through; if it's still dark, then the diaphragm is stuck closed, or nearly closed. If this is the case, put it on a camera, set the aperture using the camera mail control dial (in Av)to f/8 or so, and then 'exercise' the lens by pressing and releasing the DOF preview button.

OTOH, a remote possibility is that there is something shorting out (i.e. connecting) one or more of the lens-to-camera contacts at the base of the lens. Who knows? Maybe a short between pins 2 & 3 makes the aperture go to max stop-down position. Anyway, it's probably worth a look.

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Doug C.
• • •
p.1 #7 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

jcolwell - I tried that and it makes a low machine gun like sound but hasn't opened.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Doug C. wrote:
...The viewfinder is dark and the autofocus moves but doesn't lock.

Yep...90% certain it's a stuck aperture. AF can't lock because there's not enough light reaching the AF sensor.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:32 AM
Doug C.
• • •
p.1 #9 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

jcolwell's suggestion sounded like it was trying to work. Are there any other suggestions or is it off to Canon?

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:39 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Doug C. wrote:
jcolwell's suggestion sounded like it was trying to work. Are there any other suggestions or is it off to Canon?

If it didn't "unjamb" after one try, I wouldn't risk doing more damage. I say "off to Canon."

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:03 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #11 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Aperture blades are controlled electronically via lens mount. Are the contacts clean (try using a pencil eraser). Does the camera do that with any other lens?
Does the lens stay stopped down when you take it off the camera?

Sounds like 'off to Canon' to me

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Doug C.
• • •
p.1 #12 · 17-55 2.8 Won't Work

Yes I've cleaned the contacts. Its just this lens that I'm having a problem with and it is stopped down when off camera.

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password